IGNORED

New Color (need protection)

dgrooman

After 2 years (the last 6 months of which the bike was totally naked while I prepped the panels) my '96 R1100RT is finally blue. I went with World Rally Blue, which is a Subaru color technically, but one that I have always liked.

Now that I want to protect the paint, are there any pre-made/cut transparent film kits out there that I can use on the tank cover? A quick search for tank protectors has only shown gaudy carbon fiber options.

IMAG0189.jpg

IMAG0192.jpg

Pictures aren't showing up on my system but I hit properties and copied the link into a new URL. All I have to say about your new color is:

SA-WEET!

You realise if you have a Subaru WRC colour bike, it is compulsory, by law, to have Subaru WRC Gold wheels too. Maybe it isn't law.....but it should be!

darn ya beat me to it....that is a great color for an RS been thinking for a couple of years that i would repaint my RT Blue I thinkl you have helped me finalize the decision..

Thanks Looks GREAT!

Geeez; I see no one has responded to your question yet. I would not take away from that beautiful paint job by trying to put a plastic film over it. The best way is to use multiple coats of clear coat and be careful about where you park. In the end though, if you drive them, they will get some scratches and dings once in a while. The only way to keep a paint job pristine is to NOT drive the vehicle and in my world that just "ain't gonna happen." :Cool:

Drop into a sign shop. They will have a clear vinyl product called stone or chip guard. You'll have to get creative and cut it to the shape you want.

Thanks for the suggestions and links Joe and Stephen. I think I may try the tankslapper. The website is a bit vague on what each option offers; any ideas on exactly what the difference is in the Total Protection kit, 3m Tank Protector, and the Tankslapper Tank Protector?

Archived