IGNORED

Did I rob Peter to pay Paul? Clutch adjustment.

Don Beissel

Don Beissel

Today I finally did a proper clutch adjustment on my 2000 R1100RT after replacing the clutch cable.

I set the adjustment at the clutch lever to 12 mm at the adjuster and 5 mm free play with the lower adjustment bolt.

I shortened the adjustment quite a bit a the clutch lever to get to 12 mm and turned in the lower adjustment bolt quite a bit to get it right.

Did I actually accomplish anything? Because I had the right amount of free play before all of this effort.

FYI-I got at the lower adjustment bolt on the R1200RT by removing the left peg plate. The tupperware stayed on. I did not have the right metric socket, but a 1/2" deep well socket get the tightening bolt free pretty easy.

Did I actually accomplish anything? Because I had the right amount of free play before all of this effort.

Yes.....you accomplished a proper adjustment. The free play is obviously important, but if you have it set near the end of the adjustment range then you could run into issues down the road when you need to readjust due to wear and cable stretching. Using the proper starting point can potentially save you more work down the road.

Afternoon Don

As Keith noted you now have it proper for many adjustments into the future. (probably the main reason for BMW's setting specifications)

The other thing you accomplished is getting the angle on the clutch lever down on the rear of trans at the correct working angle to the throwout bearing piston.

Don Beissel

Good. I was afraid that I did an hour of labor for nothing!

I also now own the Haynes Manual for my bike. There are lots of things that are going to get looked at now. It would seem that the previous owner really neglected this girl!

Headlight was cracked due to lack of a protector. ABS did not function (probably due to old battery). Old nasty brake fluid. Old nasty brake lines that ruptured. Very thin brake pads. Very dirty bike. Shift lever pad came off. Clutch poorly adjusted.

She has new brake pads and steel lines, a new headlight, a new shift lever pad, new brake fluid, a new-used ABS modulator, and a proper clutch adjustment.

At least I am getting to know the bike VERY well.

Bruce (Bedford)

Did I actually accomplish anything?

I think you have your answer!

And more than that... the rest of us have had the pleasure of sharing it too - yheee.

Bruce

Did I actually accomplish anything?

I think you have your answer!

And more than that... the rest of us have had the pleasure of sharing it too - yheee.

Bruce

Well said. Learning the ins and outs of how your bike works helps in many ways. Mostly, when something breaks or wears out you can then visualize how it goes together and how the parts interface with each other. That way, when it breaks......you can just stand there and curse at it instead of panic :rofl:

Archived