IGNORED

Please Help: Stick Coils

jbr7t

Does anyone have an extra GOOD stick coil that will fit a 2004 1150R? I'm having an issue that may or may not be caused by a bad stick coil. Keith recommended I try swapping out a known good one to see if it fixes the issue. I was hoping someone may have one I could test. Thanks!

Morning James

You might be able to run a quick (yes/no/maybe) test on your suspect stick coil.

Take a known good spark plug (doesn't have to be for your bike), then open the electrode gap to at least 3/16" (use a 3/16 drill bit as a gap gauge). Then remove one stick coil at a time & insert that special spark plug in it lay the plug metal body on the cylinder head (or use a jumper wire to a clean ground). Do only one plug at a time & either deactivate the fuel pump or disconnect the fuel injectors (so engine won't start).

Now crank the engine over while watching that 3/16" plug gap for a nice snappy bluish colored spark. If one is yellowish or not snappy or significantly different than the other that coil is marginal. If both test the same then open that test plug electrode gap a bit more (1/4"+) & re-test.

This test might not show how good the stick coils are but will usually show a real bad one compared to the other. If you show both about the same that doesn't mean that both are good but if one shows bad then that one is probably your problematic stick coil.

Thanks Dirtrider. I'm going to try your suggested diagnoses one evening this week. Keith also sent me some diagnoses info and sent me a link to an old thread regarding stick coils. Hopefully I'll have her running smoothly again soon!

Morning James

You might be able to run a quick (yes/no/maybe) test on your suspect stick coil.

Take a known good spark plug (doesn't have to be for your bike), then open the electrode gap to at least 3/16" (use a 3/16 drill bit as a gap gauge). Then remove one stick coil at a time & insert that special spark plug in it lay the plug metal body on the cylinder head (or use a jumper wire to a clean ground). Do only one plug at a time & either deactivate the fuel pump or disconnect the fuel injectors (so engine won't start).

Now crank the engine over while watching that 3/16" plug gap for a nice snappy bluish colored spark. If one is yellowish or not snappy or significantly different than the other that coil is marginal. If both test the same then open that test plug electrode gap a bit more (1/4"+) & re-test.

This test might not show how good the stick coils are but will usually show a real bad one compared to the other. If you show both about the same that doesn't mean that both are good but if one shows bad then that one is probably your problematic stick coil.

Ok, I've got a new stick coil enroute to me from TyTass. Looks like an evening later this week will be spent in the driveway trying not to drop parts and have them vanish in the gravel!

Not a lot of parts to drop.

plastic cover off

Low tension connector disconnect

Piece of string around the old coil - short sharp tug - out with the old stick coil.

Slide new stick coil in,

reconnect LT connector

cover on,

Job done

Cup of tea (just milk, no sugar for me, thanks).

Andy

Cup of tea (just milk, no sugar for me, thanks).

Andy

I'm surprised at you Andy polluting a good cuppa tea with milk ....... just black with no sugar is the way to go ..... :D

Yukkkkkkkkk

In the Southern States of America, when you order tea, it comes served in a glass full of ice cubes with enough sugar added to make to spoon stand up by itself.

------

Archived