IGNORED

Aftermarket shield

ddk50

Looking for some advice for a new windshield. I want to replace the factory shield on an '05 R1200RT. My goal is to have it quiet. I've been looking at the following: VStream, Cee Bailey, and Parabellum. I'd welcome any advice on these or any other one out there.

Thanks.

That is a very loaded question. What is your understanding of "quiet"?

Reason being that the frontal shape changes with every different rider, giving a different frontal shape to the airflow.

Add different torso length, width, size of head (and shape), plus shape and size of helmet and the chances that you would have the same experience as any other rider is very "remote".

In a car, once you close the doors, it doesn't matter what size/shape the occupants are, the outside stays the same.

I replaced the BMW screen on my previous R1150RT with a Cee Bailey +2.

Being 6.2' tall, the only real change was the amount I had to raise the screen at any given speed.

If I raised it too high at speeds higher then 80km/h the effect was creating a negative bubble that pushed my head forwards, towards the screen.

Very uncomfortable. The cure was to lower it to the point where the wind pressure would be neutralized between front and back....but that raises the wind noise again.

On my 05 1200RT with original BMW screen, I found it to be better then the 1150RT with the original screen or the aftermarket unit. I contribute that more to the total front design difference between the two bikes, then the screen alone.

With the above shown difference in rider's shapes, you could try 50 different shapes before finding one that suits "you".

A good quality helmet might have far more positive effect on wind noise then any screen.

I can tell you that the Cee Bailey Screen was very high quality.... no complains there.

Also consider that any increase in size, sweeped back top lip of any screen, will increase the load on those brackets and as reported often enough, multiple breaks of the brackets have occurred.

I have a Cal Sci and Z Tchnik and prefer the latter. Better material. I like to see over the shield and have my helmet in quiet air.

But as noted, screens interact with the rider, helmet choice, etc etc so individual preference is the rule here- no "right" or "wrong".

See Greenwald's recent post on breaking a lower bracket (not common). Broken upper brackets are fairly common especially with very large shields offered by some makers.

West Tool makes bulletproof replacements and some install them as prevention. Stock upper is sintered stuff with a large grain structure and prone to vibration failures- Wests are welded aircraft aluminum and far stronger.

I have a Cal Sci and Z Tchnik and prefer the latter.
Ditto. Still have the OEM and the CalSci in my garage in case someone local ever wants to try one before they buy one.

I put a taller Cal Sci on my new R1200RT and have about 7500 miles on it with no issues. When I raise it all the way it's calm and quiet.

Bkrnrd, how tall are you? I am looking for a new screen as well but I do agree that the helmet may be the key......

John

I'm 5'6" tall and using a medium Cal-Sci on my 2009 RT. The windscreen is great, nice and quiet behind it. I have the radio on my bike and can hear it at 80 miles an hour going down the interstate highway. Good luck with your decision.

If you like no air and love sweltering heat in the summer time, I can vouch personally for the CeeBaileys shield... with the lip at the top, it is about the most miserable place to be comfort wise on an RT. I much prefer the stock shield because I like the airflow in the lowest position. If you want serene, go with the CeeBaileys then. But be prepared to feel the heat and the humidity in full force in hot weather with no relief in sight from any breeze whatsoever.

I much prefer the stock shield because I like the airflow in the lowest position. If you want serene, go with the CeeBaileys then. But be prepared to feel the heat and the humidity in full force in hot weather with no relief in sight from any breeze whatsoever.
Gotta agree here. I never get any air thru my mesh jacket (Motoport Kevlar Mesh) or even thru the helmet vents with either of my bigger windshields (Calsci & Ztechnik). But switching to the stock one & leaving it all the way down is the ticket in 90+ weather (mine is going back on tomorrow in fact). Don't stay as dry when it rains but it is nice having air flowing through me and not around me.

I use a Calsci XL and it's great if you want to quiet things down. I just moved to AZ and I am finding it a little too quiet. :) I sold my stocker and now I sort of regret it. That said, the Calsci works great.

Archived