IGNORED

leather seat more comfortable?

Trojan

Morning all. I have the stock low two piece seat for R1200RT, which I've replaced with the BMW Comfort Seat. The comfort seat is better - probably not bad, though I've never gone more than a couple hours.

I wondered if the comfort seat would be more comfortable still if I had it recovered in leather. Any thoughts? Seems like it would have to breathe a little better?

Thanks for your thoughts.

John

I've had both leather and vinyl seats. My two cents is a definite maybe. Leather does breathe, and it will be more comfortable. But it's no window screen....

For the money, I think you can do a LOT of other things to fix your swamp butt without the expense of recovering with leather. I feel that it hinges more on what you wear, than the seat covering. Lots of people like LD comfort shorts. I think the key is to go for a quick-drying synthetic rather than cotton pants and drawers. Those Alaskan fleece seat covers are popular, as are the bead riders (my favorite because it doesn't soak up rain). Personally, I have a leather seat and I use the bead rider in the summer anyway.

Keep in mind the two things that will kill leather. Sunlight and water, Sure doesnt sound like good material for a motorcycle seat does it.

I have a leather Bill Mayer seat (came with the 1150RT)and a BMW comfort seat. The comfort seat needs no special care.

I have a very expensive leather chair in the house and the instructions say keep out of direct sunlight!

I have heard from numerous riders that the very best accessory for a cool comfy butt is the bead type of pad. The individual beads sort of massage the butt and promote good blood flow and the bead construction allows air movement under you to keep everything cooler and most importantly, drier. If your skin stays dry, your clothes won't stick to you and your comfort lever rises hugely.

YMMV

I have had leather seats. Ugh. Never again. People put forth this weird theory that leather "breathes". You telling me it's got lungs and all? Come on.

I never saw it do that. All I ever saw it do was get hot and sticky.

I think vinyl is good for outdoor use like a motorcycle, about the best that can be done.

But for me, in the car, the best? Fabric. Cloth. By far the best.

dc

Peter Parts

Can't disagree with any of the comments, pro and con.

But for long trips, there is no comfort without breathing, for me. Which means nothing but leather.

Corbin seats take silicone spray (NOT the usual leather oils). Twice a year keeps them looking good and shedding rain.

Best toss-over covering, if you are shy about leather, is sheepskin. Cheap at Ikea. If NASA invented it, we'd call it a space age miracle.

Ben

I'm a sheepskin fan. I bought my Alaska Leathers sheepskin in 2005, and 50,000 miles later it's still going strong (I broke down and cleaned the fur with some carpet cleaner this year). I've customized it a little with several layers expanded PVC foam drawer liner (available at Home Depot, Target, etc.), which is attached to the underside of the sheepskin with some 3M spray adhesive. Bladder capacity is now my limiting factor between gas stops.

Have you ever seen leather cushions on a boat? So why would you think leather is good for a motorcycle seat?

Stick with vinyl and get a fleece or bead cover. I like BerndM's line about the beads massaging my butt. Got to try one of those!

pete

Peter Parts
Have you ever seen leather cushions on a boat? So why would you think leather is good for a motorcycle seat?

Stick with vinyl and get a fleece or bead cover. I like BerndM's line about the beads massaging my butt. Got to try one of those!

pete

Ever seen plastic seat covers on a good car?

B,

B

I saw the leather, in fact I felt the leather, and drove on it, and I hope I never have that misfortune again.

Cloth. Fabric.

dc

malcolmblalock

I have a Russell leather seat and love how it spreads my weight over a larger seat area. However, I hate to slide forward every time I tap the brakes.

I'll never buy another leather seat. Vinyl is just as sturdy and waterproof...

I've had leather and vinyl. Can't say the material made any difference, except the leather weathered more from sun and wear.

What really made a difference to me as far as being able to put hours in the saddle was a firmer seat. I found the BMW seats to be much too soft which left my rear really painful too soon into the ride. I've had two aftermarket brands, Sargent (current) and Corbin (on my prior bike). Both were noticeably firmer than stock which really helped be able to stay in the saddle longer.

Thanks for the thoughts. After reading and mulling a bit, I ordered some of those LD shorts - sounds sensible that garments might be a more effective way to make things comfortable in the "breathing" department.

John

Saddle questions have no right answers.

Start next to the skin.

Ditch cotton.

Dump denim.

Get good riding pants w/armor.

Add sheepskin, never heard of a problem.

Add beads, OK, butt, it seems to depend as reports are

split down the plumbers crack either for or nay.

Add Airhawk or similar.

Again, mostly pro but some don't ever seem to adjust or like them.

Go custom/aftermarket seat.

Most don't work for me, some, w/wings are torture, for me, yet most rave about them.

Eliminate the variables one by one, ride more, have fun.

Never understand questions like this, as they seem clearly to imply never moving around on the seat.

Me, I get plenty of "breathing" just from that, maybe even occasionally standing.

Thanks for the thoughts. After reading and mulling a bit, I ordered some of those LD shorts - sounds sensible that garments might be a more effective way to make things comfortable in the "breathing" department.

John

I tried those too....for one 400 mile day. No noticeable improvement (for me).

Add sheepskin

Add beads,

Add Airhawk or similar.

Go custom/aftermarket seat.

I did all of that and should have started with the last. Spent as much on all of the add-ons as I did on the Bill Mayer custom seat. Sheepskin seemed to make no difference at all. Beads made me move around a bunch but wasn't comfortable - the discomfort is what made me move. With the Airhawk I either never got it set precisely right or it didn't work for me. Did try a Wunderlich Ergo seat too but that wasn't too much better (some, just not a lot) than the stock seat. Got my Bill Mayer saddle (vinyl) and rode a trouble-free SaddleSore the next day. Only regret is I didn't do it sooner.

But, just like oil and bikes - seats are individual. Check to see if someone you know has some of the options and will let you borrow them.

Yes, a saddle exchange tech day anyone?

Bring 'em, swap 'em, ride 'em, decide if that aftermarket addition is right for you.

Paul Mihalka
Yes, a saddle exchange tech day anyone?

Bring 'em, swap 'em, ride 'em, decide if that aftermarket addition is right for you.

Of limited value with custom seats. What is made for me and then broken in by my butt may not be the right seat for you, but one made for you by the same shop may be perfect.

I have heard from numerous riders that the very best accessory for a cool comfy butt is the bead type of pad. The individual beads sort of massage the butt and promote good blood flow and the bead construction allows air movement under you to keep everything cooler and most importantly, drier. If your skin stays dry, your clothes won't stick to you and your comfort lever rises hugely.

YMMV

"comfort lever" :S

Archived