IGNORED

Custom Seat: Leather or Vinyl

velomoto

Looking at a custom seat for an RT which lives in Colorado. High altitude so lots of sunshine (UV) and occasional thunderstorms (soaking) if left out. The other problem is the wind which removes bike covers.

Do the vinyl seats offer similar/less long distance comfort than leather? (read: Is there really that much difference?)

Will strong sun and occasional rain (soaking) ruin leather?

Are there seat covers which would protect the leather seat from the sun and rain? Oh, and do these covers stay on a parked bike in high (40 to 60 mph) winds?

As always, thanks in advance! clap.gif

Greg

From my limited experience:

The synthetic material, often called "vinyl" is tough to beat from a practical and durable standpoint. It stands up well, and doesn't absorb moisture, as long as it has no seams to leak.

If you mostly ride in "full gear", that is a "stitch" or something similar, I'd suggest the vinyl, as your suit won't let you take advantage of the breathing ability of other coverings anyway.

Leather breathes, so it is more comfortable in hot weather, IF you're wearing clothes that will let the moisture evaporate to it. It doesn't stand up at all well to UV, although doesn't do too badly during normal riding. I wouldn't store a bike with a leather seat outside. Leather takes more care than a vinyl seat, and if allowed to dry out can get hard, and even brittle. If you ride in full gear, I wouldn't bother, if you ride mostly in blue jeans like I do, it's great, much cooler than vinyl.

Velour (cloth) is even cooler in hot weather than leather, but doesn't stand up well to the elements. I have one on my Goldwing, and it's pretty ragged looking, and has less than thirty thousand miles on it. It will be replaced with leather next winter, if I keep the 'wing.

I've had two seat rain covers made (Corbin and Diamond), neither one worth the money. They'd never stay on in the winds you mention. In fact, the bike half cover I use when traveling wouldn't either, unless I could get the bike out of the wind somehow.

If you don't go with full vinyl, I'd suggest leather for the rider seat area only, vinyl everywhere else smile.gif

I've found leather to be a lot more comfortable in both heat and cold (probably not all that noticeable in an Aerostitch, but definitely so with lighter clothing) and also that leather retains it's good appearance and wears better as the years roll on... but that is if you can apply some care and maintenance to the leather. If the owner doesn't want to do this or if the bike spends a lot of time (or lives) outside then vinyl may be a better choice.

Get the leather.

Seats should be viewed as a wear item, and not doted upon like a newborn. The leather feels better, breathes better, grips better, is better. Vinyl feels worse, doesn't breathe, grips worse, is worse.

You'll be surprised at the beating leather can take while it loves you back.

Get the leather.

I generally prefer leather, but if your bike gets a lot of exposure to the elements, then a synthetic material would probably be best!

Jim cool.gif

I have a custom Bill (Rocky) Mayer set with 'perforated' vinyl (he's actually used a picture of my bike with his seat here BasketweaveRT_27.jpg

For around town and rides shorted than 200 miles, the seat is fine here in Colorado. I've actually appreciated coming out to the bike and quickly wiping it off after one of our summer afternoon quick drenches and just riding off. I'm an ATGATT-guy so even if it WERE wet, I'd never notice anyway.

For trips longer than 200 miles in the summer, I always use an Alaska Sheepskin cover (by the way, no matter what you go with if you use one of these sheepskins, it soaks a LOT of rain water - AMHIK).

Given my experience, I'd go with vinyl again.

Regards,

Mike O

Most of the bikes i have had, I have used leather seats. I also used a rain cover on them. The RT still has the stock seat though. If I do replace the seat, It will be with leather. I like it better.

I'd go leather. Leather seems to mold to your butt shape after a few thousand miles for a custom fit, kinda like a favorite leather chair. Leather also warms up more quickly in cold weather. Leather feels better in hot weather, although vinyl would be more durable if you give it years of hot sun and requires less care. My leather Corbin is perfect for me.

I have a custom Bill (Rocky) Mayer set with 'perforated' vinyl (he's actually used a picture of my bike with his seat here BasketweaveRT_27.jpg

For around town and rides shorted than 200 miles, the seat is fine here in Colorado. I've actually appreciated coming out to the bike and quickly wiping it off after one of our summer afternoon quick drenches and just riding off. I'm an ATGATT-guy so even if it WERE wet, I'd never notice anyway.

For trips longer than 200 miles in the summer, I always use an Alaska Sheepskin cover (by the way, no matter what you go with if you use one of these sheepskins, it soaks a LOT of rain water - AMHIK).

Given my experience, I'd go with vinyl again.

Regards,

Mike O

I had to comment on the pattern of that vinyl seat cover. Looks almost exactly like the factory seat covers in any late 60's Volkswagen. Ya'll remember those dont ya?

Archived