IGNORED

Need Clothing Advice...

Guest Kakugo

I have finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a cooling vest.

Price is not a huge option but since I would need to carry it with me on biking journeys (where space is a premium and finding a hotel with a freezer is nigh on impossible), cooling packs are out.

Any advice is welcome.

I also need some good leggings/shorts to wear underneath. Would prefer full length but don't mind shorts if they are good stuff.

I need these on long journeys where space is a premium and hence I would be wearing my excellent but heavy Hein Gericke all weather combo.

Thanks

I also need some good leggings/shorts to wear underneath. Would prefer full length but don't mind shorts if they are good stuff.

LDComfort has both shorts & tights available. I wear the shorts myself. Easy to wash & dries overnight in a hotel room. Wicks moisture and I haven't had a case of monkey butt or chafing since I started using them a couple/three years ago. Mario (biker & owner) is a long distance rider and super helpful if you have any questions about the stuff.

+1 on the LDComfort shorts. As for a cooling vest, I bought one and took it on a five week trip to California and back and never took it out of the bag. This was in July/August, so it was stinkin' hot in places. Admittedly, dry heat is easier to take. As I understand it, the cooling vest's usefulness declines as the humidity goes up. Sometimes I'll just dump some water down my t-shirt and I do wear a water-soaked handkerchief around my neck which is effective for a while.

+2 on the LD shorts and leggings.

I have found that the easiest thing is to have a Hoon Cooler along, as it takes up no space in my cases and is both durable and easy to use. The problem is they don't seem to be making them anymore. I've had no luck finding Steve. I bought this about 11 years ago for $35 from Hoon Hardware. BEST gear for the money EVER. (no affiliation, but lots of admiration)

Here is what it looks like:

i-J2xbKH8-L.jpg

EDIT:

To create the Air Conditioning Effect you must:

have a Cotton T shirt on

close all your vents and zippers on the outer jacket

The tiniest bit of air flow in the jacket is all you need

Too much air flow and you lose the cooling advantage and you loose the moisture too quickly.

moshe_levy

Kakugo-

When you say "cooling vest" I envisioned something more like the Techniche vests as shown here http://www.techniche-intl.com/en/catalog/cooling-apparel/index.html I tested one for MCN here http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnholiday2009.pdf

Works perfectly, very inexpensive, lasts forever (mine still works as new and is about 4 years old now), folds up tiny. I'd recommend you take a look at that.

-MKL

RockBottom

I'm not a big fan of cooling vests. I did a test during the Bloomsburg heat wave last summer. Did half with, half without in a Joe Rocket Phoenix. Without with much cooler.

Cooling vests have their purpose. Mostly those long days on the bike. And their value, as in actual cooling effect needs to be viewed within their limitations. Personally, I see them more as a hydration vest, rather than cooling - meaning that they serve as a sacrificial layer of moisture, which prevents me from getting dehydrated. There is cooling, but it's muggy and it's no A/C. Their effectiveness depends, too, on relative humidity, speed, fairing or not, etc. I find that if I zip up the vents on my aerostich, just a little, it changes the way air circulates, and it can make a lot of difference. It's a bit counter-intuitive, but the lesson is that all-the-vents-wide-open-all-the-time may not be the best option. Experiment with your overcoat.

+1 on the techniche vest. There are several brands that are rather similar. Some have sleeves, pockets, collars, etc. Just pick the basic vest. I have a heavy duty zip lock bag (maybe it came with the vest), which is indispensible for when it's not in use. Just don't forget it and leave it in there for a couple weeks after you get home.

For pants, you can't beat Schoeller fabric (or a copy). Stretchy, windproof, highly breathable, quick drying, feels a lot like denim... best of everything. I always switch out of my jeans and cotton drawers if I plan to spend more than an hour or two on the bike. REI has a variety, like these.

And try a non-cotton pair of drawers. Something along the lines of these.

Shiny Side Up

As was previouly stated - LD Comfort...

I do a lot of LD riding and have found nothimg better.

Just wear a cotton T-shirt under my Joe Rocket Jacket.

If it's really hot (with high humidity) I dump some cold water from a water bottle into my helmet and hammer down. (However - that makes for a really "bad hair day")

I dump some cold water from a water bottle into my helmet and hammer down. (However - that makes for a really "bad hair day")

I'm having a bad hair life.

Guest Kakugo

Thanks everybody for the advice.

LD Comfort products look very good, will give them a try.

As for cooling vests Moshe you hit it squarely on the head. That's exactly what I am looking for. :thumbsup:

I keep mine in small white garbage bag.

Soak it in am, ride.

When I stop I remove vest , carry it in small bag to restroom where I use the bag to rehydrate the vest in the sink then carry it back out side.

Bag keeps it from dripping everywhere and keeps it away from dry stuff if needed.

I wear performance style shirt under it rather than cotton because it is easier to clean and dry in motel room than cotton is.

YMMV

Tim's advice is right on. Garbage bags are perfect - the 13 gallon kitchen-size variety works best and packs tiny!

-MKL

As long as you don't mind people staring as you walk out of the store carrying a lumpy garbage bag you'll be fine.

:lurk:

I just attribute it to my freakinshly striking good looks.

Guest Kakugo
As long as you don't mind people staring as you walk out of the store carrying a lumpy garbage bag you'll be fine.

:lurk:

I just attribute it to my freakinshly striking good looks.

No problem, I usually look like I have just step out of garbage can, nobody will notice anything. :)

I've got a Silver Eagle cooling vest and find it very effective, particularly with a poly t-shirt under it. I don't mess around with it on day's that are just warm, but it makes a significant difference on blazing hot days. However, it's not the same as air conditioning...thes a pervasive feeling of dampness. Which is because it's damp. :)

Archived