IGNORED

Weedkay SoCal Mt. Ride II

longjohn

Jose and I were thinking of doing a ride from ACH Shell to Big Bear and there abouts on Friday June 15th. I haven't been up there in decades so I'm anxious to see it again. I realize there is no way to circle back and get closer to home on the ride back, so if it gets too late I might get a hotel and then on Sat do Idylwild and 74 and that will give me about an hours ride to home and still have most of Sat. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone else interested?

John,

I did this ROUTE a few weeks ago.

Left home at 7 am and was back by 2:30 pm (didn't stop for lunch). Maybe you could do something like this. I went counter clock-wise because it was Sunday and I wanted to avoid coming home traffic on the 210, but if you go clock-wise you could even get off the 210 at Mountain and head up to Baldy and then GRR over to hwy 39 and back onto the 210. Should work out well on a Friday.

If I can manage to get that day off I'd love to come along.

Count me in....I have no problem turning around and riding those roads back, but 38 down the south side looks fun, never been on that one before.... maybe a short blast of freeway riding then back up 330 to Running Springs....

Don J :wave:

Haha yep, turning around and taking the same roads back would be good because they really wouldn't be the same would they? On the other hand GMR is terrific too.

Whats GMR? I know its not the grand mesa in Colorado ride. That's like a UN-rally type of ride. I will try to make the day ride. It's been a while since I've ride-den with you guys and this will be good. :thumbsup:

Hi Frank. Glendora Mountain Road, and Glendora Ridge Road. Larry and I did this in Feb. Cool clear and awesome.

Let's plan on 8am at the Shell at ACH and take Don's route but maybe add that 330 to 18 loop off of the 210 which looks to be an hour. And if we're really ambitious after 22 miles down the 210 we could run up Mt Baldy Rd which would dump us off in the Azusa area and that looks to be about 50 min. Let me know what you fellers think.

Oh, and we can't wait to see your new wheels!!

So, do the freeway part first?

Is this where I get to experience lane splitting?

Oh boy oh boy oh boy :dopeslap:

Is this is payback for all the dirt roads I've led you guys on? :rofl:

Payback also for the ice and mud and that nasty down slope we took after Darwin where we walked it first to check it out to get back up. :grin:

(Oh boy oh boy oh boy :dopeslap:

Is this is payback for all the dirt roads I've led you guys on? :rofl:)

AdventurePoser
John,

I did this ROUTE a few weeks ago.

Left home at 7 am and was back by 2:30 pm (didn't stop for lunch). Maybe you could do something like this. I went counter clock-wise because it was Sunday and I wanted to avoid coming home traffic on the 210, but if you go clock-wise you could even get off the 210 at Mountain and head up to Baldy and then GRR over to hwy 39 and back onto the 210. Should work out well on a Friday.

If I can manage to get that day off I'd love to come along.

+1 If I was home this Friday, I'd come along...live at the base of GMR! Friday is a better day to manage the crowds up in Azusa Canyon, IMHO

Steve

Count me in....I have no problem turning around and riding those roads back, but 38 down the south side looks fun, never been on that one before.... maybe a short blast of freeway riding then back up 330 to Running Springs....

I'm in.

I like 38 in either direction... should be little traffic.

I also like early morning lane split'n, so Don, this should be a great ride for ya. :wave:

I'm OUT...

Too much work, not enough time to do it. :P

You guys have fun and stay out of trouble.

If you go into the Valley Of The Falls, take the short hike up and get a pic of Forest Falls. The falls area was closed a few weeks ago due to flooding so I didn't get a chance.

:wave:

Well we had a long day today, but it was with fine people and great roads and outstanding weather. We hit a lot of the mountain roads, specifically 2 (unusually rocky),138, 18, 38,330 and some that I can't remember. We ran a little short of time so GMR and GRR will have to wait for another day. Almost 300 miles. The highlight was 18 coming down off the mountain, followed by 38 also coming down. Rim Of The World was also memorable. On a clear day the views from it must be fantastic. Thanks to mrduck for having a spare QD which was installed in Larry's 1150 after his failed. Side of the road bike repair is a piece of cake. Thanks to Larry for leading the way most of the day, and only making a couple or wrong turns. It was nice to see Frank's new wheels, and it's always a pleasure to ride with Jose. Outstanding day. 'Til the next time fellers.

Oh, Larry, I hope you finally get that bug out of your ear. Lesson learned: Never rest your helmet on the ground without first checking for bugs.

CoarsegoldKid
Thanks to mrduck for having a spare QD which was installed in Larry's 1150 after his failed.

Is that the BMW Quantum Drive. I didn't think they ever failed. Ask'em.

Thanks to mrduck for having a spare QD which was installed in Larry's 1150 after his failed.

Is that the BMW Quantum Drive. I didn't think they ever failed. Ask'em.

REDNECK FIX!!!

Kinda outta focus but you get the idea....

Two brass barbed fittings, a short piece of fuel line, and some clamps :thumbsup:

DSCN2723_049.jpg

DSCN2726_052.jpg

DSCN2725_051.jpg

We kept smellin' gas as we left the lunch stop, some kid in a truck pulled up beside Larry and was pointing at the growing puddle of fuel running on the ground! We found an empty place to pull off under a shade tree, and yep the return QD was cracked!

After a short discussion about our choices,John whipped out the most impressive tool kit that he had with him and about 45 minutes later we rode off....

BMW sells the metal male half of the QD, the one that breaks, and if you're still using the plastic ones now would be a good time to change them out

Big fun and always an adventure with you guys :clap:

At least you had a nice lookin' spot for your roadside repairs!

Sorry I couldn't make it. Maybe the next one!

:wave:

Archived