IGNORED

Ride in via SLC, UT - Mini Piper

Twisties

Folk are welcome to stay with us here in SLC and ride in to Salida from here. It is a long day (if done the fun way), or two short days. We are leaning towards two short days with an overnight in Grand Junction. GJ has a nice downtown walking district with a choice of hotels and restaurants nearby. GJ also has a number of excellent liquor stores, if you want to stock up. We should arrive Salida fairly early on the 24th.

Map of Grand Junction Showing Rodeway and Hampton Inn

We have typically gone low budget and stayed at the Rodeway, but there is a Hampton Inn right there as well. Reservations are highly recommended.

There are a number of excellent route choices from SLC to Salida via GJ. We can pick a route at the time. I will have some options printed up for your perusal. I have promised Sharon (Bullett) that she can ride her beloved RT, so we will stick to paved routes. Never the less, these will offer a range of conditions which will include elevation, twisties, cliffies, and potentially heat, cold or thunderstorms. There may be some short slab runs. You were warned!

Rules are: Ride your own ride. If you are fast, go ahead but wait up for us from time to time. If you are slow, no worries, really. If you want to make a picture do it.

We have a spare king bed, a queen futon mattress that goes on the floor, two large comfy camping cots, one other foam pad, and floor or outdoor tent space (and some tents and a few sleeping bags). Let me know if you are coming and I'll let you know what I can provide, first come first serve.

Details Summary:

Our place in SLC Sunday July 22. We'll put something on the grill, and pick up some beers.

Grand Junction Monday July 23. YOU MAKE YOUR OWN ARRANGEMENTS/RESERVATIONS.

Salida Tuesday July 24.

Sign me up! I'm actually planning to be at Salida Monday. Don't know if I'll leave home on Friday or Saturday. Getting excited.....been riding the R1100S exclusively for almost a month now. The RT front shock will be back from refreshing next week. The RT recently got brake fluid bleed and valve check/TB sync/plugs/oil. I'll have to put some miles on it before then.....

Russ

Sweet! Your spot is reserved. If you want, you can stay with us Sunday and still make Salida Monday. Just keep going when we stop in GJ, or take the slabby route. In any event, TIGBG!

Tempting... I have been thinking Salmon River in Idaho , than come into Utah from the north maybe, as time frame closes I will have a better Idea of my plans

Tempting... I have been thinking Salmon River in Idaho , than come into Utah from the north maybe, as time frame closes I will have a better Idea of my plans

Hope you can make it!

I'm already set to ride in with DRSwift. Monday arrival in Salida...

Dang! Where are you guys riding? We'll see you there!

If you don't mind, you will probably be joined in Grand Junction by a couple of party crashers ( no Unrally registration :eek: ) Still planning on staying at the Rodeway? I'm not adverse to saving a couple of bucks either.

If you don't mind, you will probably be joined in Grand Junction by a couple of party crashers ( no Unrally registration :eek: ) Still planning on staying at the Rodeway? I'm not adverse to saving a couple of bucks either.

Yes sir, that would be great! Thinking of going this way from GJ:

GJ to Salida via Grand Mesa and Black Canyon Overlook

Look forward to seeing you!

Bob here...(aka Hopz). We have been on yet another road trip and back now... We are also in Salt Lake City.

Pleased to see Jan and Sharon's invite for those headed to Salida.

We also offer our lodgings to UN riders headed that way. We have 3 bedrooms and camping space, plus garage and parking. We are about 20 minutes away from Sharon and Jan's place.

Lots to see and do here for those who have not seen our canyons and vistas. A great warm-up for Colorado. Easy day rides if you want them.

Looking forward to hosting... let us hear.

Bob and Suz

markgoodrich

Jan/Sharon, I may be able to hook up with you in SLC...if I go to out to Portland. I know you're on your Beeg Adventure on those Tenilles, but please stop for a day and give me your thoughts on routes in this thread: http://tinyurl.com/d3yjruy

You ain't never done me no wrong on routing. Yet.

Ah, don't really stop for a day; gimmeshout when you get back.

Would love to have you Mark! Maybe Suzzanne could fly in to SLC and meet you, if she isn't along for the whole journey. I'm thinking about routes for you, but I think like MikeRC said on your thread, you need to give us a few constraints. I could run you around in circles of great riding for a month. We need a rough time/miles idea, and a if there are any highlights you are wanting hit or preferences.

• 3 weeks later...

It may be that the closest Gary and I will be to SLC will be Flaming Gorge, coming out of Idaho and Wyoming .... We will be leaving the Great State of Jefferson on the 20th of July

It may be that the closest Gary and I will be to SLC will be Flaming Gorge, coming out of Idaho and Wyoming .... We will be leaving the Great State of Jefferson on the 20th of July

Ahhhh, the Great State of Jefferson....

If it works out for you, and you want to, we can hook up in Grand Junction night of the 23rd, or for lunch at Bedrock Depot in Dinosaur earlier on the 23rd.

The ride in to Flaming Gorge on 414 and 43 through Manilla is reasonably nice. After Manilla it gets good, through to Vernal.

Archived