IGNORED

Another leaky fork seal question

new-R-ider

new-R-ider

here we go 99' rt 156,000 mi done the wheel off version of the fork seal replacment about 2 weeks ago, bled the air out using the screws, used proper amount of fluid (.47L) cleaned all parts greased seals and reassembled.....still leaks @#$@#! ok re-bled air last night with the weight of the bike setting on front tire...still leaks~~! "OH guru's of the opposed heads" I need your guidance before I start over from scratch.

any input would be appreciated thanks

Afternoon new-R-ider

Difficult to say from afar.

Are you SURE you have the seal in with the seal lips facing the correct direction (facing the fluid).

Did you check the upper fork tube for being bent when you had it apart?

Are the lower bushings tight?

If seal is installed correctly & not damaged, & the fork tube is not nicked, bent, or scored then you might have a defective seal.

Pry the dirt excluder up then look to see if you can find where it is actually leaking at. If leaking at the seal ID to upper tube then something wrong with seal or something wrong with the fork tube. If leaking around the seal OD then again a bad seal or incorrect installation, or a problem with the fork lower at the seal area.

You might try working a bit of power steering seal conditioner (seal softener) in around the lower seal lips to see if that will soften the seal a bit & stop your leak. Might work but a brand new seal leaking says something else wrong there.

new-R-ider

Thanks D.R. I will start the trouble shooting process, I will check the seals first considering they are both leaking, thought I matched the original seal orientation but it never hurts to check. The sliders were spotless no scratched dings or severe wear.

"are the lower bushings tight" please elaborate on how to check, by bushings do you mean the one in the top of the shock body, or some where else?

new-R-ider
Start over (install fork boots to help keep sliders clean).

isn't putting boots on an RT like wearing socks with flipflops... :rofl:

with the constant oil bath from the leaky seals the sliders are real clean no chance for build up there.

isn't putting boots on an RT like wearing socks with flipflops... with the constant oil bath from the leaky seals the sliders are real clean no chance for build up there.

Ok, then don't do it..yet keeping the slider clean and free of road grime will enhance the longjevity of properly installed, and non leaking seals in the first place. Even though a "road bike" is not a "dirt bike", same principal applies.

Take your pick, no boots, replace your seals more frequently..boots, replace less often..your choice.

Galactic Greyhound
....greased seals and reassembled.....still leaks

The OEM BMW seals are double-lipped and it can be difficult to determine what side should be at the top because they are not reversible. The method I use is to keep the seal legend (manufacturer/part no./seal size markings) uppermost i.e. visible when the seal is inserted.

Thanks D.R. I will start the trouble shooting process, I will check the seals first considering they are both leaking, thought I matched the original seal orientation but it never hurts to check. The sliders were spotless no scratched dings or severe wear.

"are the lower bushings tight" please elaborate on how to check, by bushings do you mean the one in the top of the shock body, or some where else?

Morning new-R-ider

The fork lowers have bushings in them that keep the lower tight to the upper tubes. Can you grab the lowers & move them fore/aft on the upper tubes? If so the bushings are worn.

isn't putting boots on an RT like wearing socks with flipflops... with the constant oil bath from the leaky seals the sliders are real clean no chance for build up there.

Ok, then don't do it..yet keeping the slider clean and free of road grime will enhance the longjevity of properly installed, and non leaking seals in the first place. Even though a "road bike" is not a "dirt bike", same principal applies.

Take your pick, no boots, replace your seals more frequently..boots, replace less often..your choice.

The design of the RT's fairing and it's front forks are unlike most other bikes. The exposed fork tubes sit very high up and they are basically surrounded by the fairing and therefore protected from incoming objects like pebbles, bugs and dirt. Other than dust, my RT's fork tubes are clean and bug/road grime free because of this design. On other bikes I've owned and do own, their much more exposed fork tubes do get a lot of bug splatter on them and do get nicks from small rocks, which I would guess contributes to their fork seals failing. I would also guess that adding boots to the RT's forks wouldn't make that much of a difference in how long the seals would last but it would make it more difficult to know when the seals started leaking. But to each his own.

When I bought my RT last rear with just under 17,000 miles on it, one of the fork seals was leaking, so in the first two weeks of ownership I replaced both fork seals. I was happily surprised with how easy a job it was compared with conventional forks. I now have about 39,000 miles on the bike and the forks are still leak free.

new-R-ider

Thanks for all the great input guys as always a wealth of knowledge on this site..heading for the garage before it hits 90 this afternoon ooof I hate hot weather!

@SKYGZR did not intend any offense, just trying to inject a little humor

as per azccj the uppers are very well protected by the faring on the RT boots may not provide any benefit but thats just my opinion. As for longevity the dust covers disintegrated during removal so I am guessing the previous owner had not changed them in a very long time, thus contributing to the failure of the seals

Well of to the garage to check out all the potential issues.

Thanks again!

Easy enough to do, added protection for "cheap"./quote]

Skygazer,

Looks great and effective. Where can I get that material to put over my RT's Ohlin spring?

Easy enough to do, added protection for "cheap"./quote]

Panty hose?

Skygazer,

Looks great and effective. Where can I get that material to put over my RT's Ohlin spring?

it's official I am an idiot put the seals in backwards, thanks D.R. for the info the seal numbers were down not up..

skygzr the hose idea is a great one i have used a pair of my daughters old dance tights on a 4-wheeler which are heavier fabric to keep out more dirt and any moisture that could get in will evaporate through the tights.

thanks again!

I've been using the hose, but I would like to replace it with that red plastic or rubber cover like in the 1st picture. What is the source?

I've been using the hose, but I would like to replace it with that red plastic or rubber cover like in the 1st picture. What is the source?

Any dirt-bike supplier.

Andy

Archived