IGNORED

Mapsource GPS question (loading routes from Mapsource to GPS)

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

This morning I was trying to load the NUMOROUS Rubber Chicken Rendezvous routes (24 I think) into my GPS. I tried 3 times. Every time I tried, at around 50% of the load, the GPS would literally power down and power back up. It's a very repeatable condition.

Any Idea what this might be? Just too many Routes at once? I did delete all the other routes off the GPS before I tried to upload these routes.

Shawn

Are you downloading to the GPS or to the simm card? You can also look for extaneous files to delete, like the different languages. Maybe delete your MP3 tunes (after backing up to computer) to give you more swap space.

And that's everything I know about GPSs.

-----

Are you downloading to the GPS or to the simm card? You can also look for extaneous files to delete, like the different languages. Maybe delete your MP3 tunes (after backing up to computer) to give you more swap space.

And that's everything I know about GPSs.

-----

or get a bigger card

Shawn,

Yes, it is a large file ... 23 routes but also around 74 waypoints.

The GPX version is huge (10MB roughly). The GDB is around 2MB.

Which one are you trying to load?

Lone_RT_rider

Im trying to load the GDB file from my computer to the GPS. The 2720 has no card, so its internal memory only as far as I know. Its the first time I have run up against this.

Once I get some time, I am going to try to split the routes into different files so I can load 8 of them at a time and see if that works.

Shawn

I'd bet that the RCR4 file hit a limit on the number of waypoints and/or the number of routes your GPS can handle. Some GPS's are limited to as few as 8 routes and/or 50 waypoints.

So yes, definitely reduce the data that you are loading. The RCR4 route files were constructed as a data package to manipulate in MapSource/BaseCamp. Split the routes out anyway you like ... load only what you want to ride.

This might be a long shot.....BUT, what OS are you running on your computer?

I only ask because I found out after building a new PC, that my old 2610 will NOT play nice with Windows 7. It actually gives me a blue screen of death probably 4/5 times. The fifth time it might connect and work perfect. It has to do with the interaction of the USB drivers in the Garmin. Supposedly Garmin has updated them now and it should work, but I now have a 276c on my GS and don't use my 2610 on the bike anymore.

I don't know if it effects the 2720, but I know it was very similar in design to the 2610. Might want to try going to Garmin to check if you can update the USB drivers and see if it helps.

Morning Shawn

If I remember from when I used to have a 2720 the total route limit on the 2720 is 50 routes. If you have other routes in your unit make sure that you are not exceeding the 50 limit.

If too many routes you might be able to open the 24 routes in Base Camp then combine them into larger but fewer routes.

You should also check on the max number of way points/shaping points the 2720 allows per route.

You might also see if you have the latest firmware update, if IRC there were a couple of updates to allow better waypoint handling.

Lone_RT_rider

Dirtrider,

The first thing I did before I tried loading the routes (as stated above) was delete all the existing routes off of the GPS. So, I started with 0 of 50 loaded before loading them, so that wasn't it.

The next thing I tried is splitting all the routes into smaller route files. The first one was 8 routes and they got progressively smaller until the last couple of files only had 3 routes each in them. All it all it took 5 files total, but all the routes loaded. When I got done with the main file and cutting (control X) the files out of it, there were 76 waypoints left. Some were obviously duplicates of the waypoints for the routes that I had taken out of the main route file. Just for kicks and giggles, I loaded only the 76 waypoints by themselves, and that did not fail. So, I obviously have not exceeded the maximum routes allowed, the maximum waypoints allowed nor the maximum amount of usable space on the GPS because......

All of the information is now loaded on the GPS! It's all about divide and conquer, at least in this case. :)

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Now, I have to find time to actually pack (yes, the beer too!). :)

Shawn

Archived