IGNORED

Good Morning

PassinHarleys

PassinHarleys

Hello All

I'm new to the site but not to BMW Motorrad. I learned to ride on my first bike 73' R75/5 which I bought in 79'. I put over 65k on that bike before my first child and commuted to work a little after. I decided that I wanted to see my kids grow to responsibility age, so like alot my friends I stopped riding. I'm back on a 04' K1200GT for 4 full years and riding about 6k/year. I ride with a couple good friends, they ride Harleys, I harbor no ill will against Harleys or their riders, based on my handle here, I just don't want to own one, or get stuck behind them. Why stay behind a Clydesdale when you're on a thoroughbred. I go on m/c trips every summer and this year it's a ride up the Mississippi from Dubuque Iowa to Duluth MN by way of Wisconsin, along Superior then across Mn. to ND to the Roosevelt National Parks North and South then South to SD and WY to Devils Tower, East to Sturgis, Badlands, Wind Cave, Mt Rushmore, Jewel Cave etc. I'm taking a good D-SLR and 175 G of storage chips for the Contour Roam camera. Will have some stories to tell when we get back in early July!

Cheers

Mark

Welcome. Sounds like a good trip on a great bike. Remember, pictures help make it believable. Also show us all the local cuisine you encountered along the way.

NCS

PassinHarleys
Welcome from another eastern PA rider.

Nearly neighbors I'd say, I'm in Doylestown

Mark

Welcome aboard.

I don't care for your name.

Yeah, I know...Who cares.

He almost stole the original user name I was going to choose:

Passingas (my wife would agree)

PassinHarleys

I just got back from a weekend 500 miler with my Harley riding buddy, I just find it curious that all these hard-ass, independant thinking, rugged individualists all ride the same freaking bike. There's a thousand of them for every one of us on beemers. Harley somehow created a cult, I'm passing Harleys whenever I ride, in opposing lanes, or otherwise, I'm passing them at every local bar on Saturdays. I don't always see Beemers. Since I was very young I remember when a beemer would go by the house, it sounded different, it purred, it didn't need to mark its territory making obnoxious (patented, marketed) noise. Though I was much too young to think of it in those terms. I was going to be that guy, cruising stealth like (before there was Stealth...)I like my dose of speed, smooth and quiet, just the rush of the wind, and a hint of the mechanism required to achieve it. I like new scenery appearing before me unfettered by windshields, new curves to expore and technique to practice and perfect. I experience joy every time I carve a turn just right, or find a combination of turns where the bike seems to just know exactly what I want before I do, no thought, pure flow. I ride for me, I ride with friends, If you don't like my name I make no apology. Maybe you now know a little more than you did about the person behind the handle... bar.

If you wait for colder weather, you may see a change in the composition of bikes on the road; more BMWs, less cruisers.

----

. . . I just find it curious that all these hard-ass, independant thinking, rugged individualists all ride the same freaking bike.

I can hold your bucket if you like, that seems like a really broad brush for one hand. :rofl:

. . . I just find it curious that all these hard-ass, independant thinking, rugged individualists all ride the same freaking bike.

I can hold your bucket if you like, that seems like a really broad brush for one hand. :rofl:

"You're all individuals!"

"Yes ... we're all individuals."

(I really couldn't make it through the day without an MP reference.)

Owned my first H.D at the age of 13. A 250 sprint. Bought my last one two years ago. a 2010 Ultra Classic. Mostly ride my R60/6 when I am running around home. Just got back from the RCR on my RT. Variety is the spice of life, and I hope I am never confined one way or another to any group of a hobby, or lifestyle in which I love.

Archived