IGNORED

04 1150RT-P pesky left side leak

cpayne

After doing most of the service. I still have a small oil leak on the left side. Top rear Valve cover bolt and fins behind oil cap. I have replaced both o rings on the cap . valve covers, donuts. etc. pulled of the valve cover and I don;t see anything unusual.

I checked very closely in making sure the donut did not come off.

It was weeping a bit when I bought it.

Any ideas?

Morning cpayne

You are at the point that you need to try to define the leak area a little closer.

Try taping over the suspected leak areas using some easily removed like masking tape (something that will take the engine heat though)

Then see if the oil leak shows up on the inside or outside of the taped over areas. That might tell you what is or isn't leaking.

To me the suspect area is still that oil fill cap area (one of the "O" rings). Might be a bad spot or nick on the plastic insert, or a faulty "O" ring area on the cap, or just a poor fit, or even something in the valve cover hole causing an "O" ring to not seal completely. Take it apart & CLOSELY inspect ALL the parts & "O" ring sealing areas.

Otherwise replace the rear rocker cover bolt grommet & look closely at the rocker cover seal & rear cam sprocket cover plug.

I repaired an oil leak for a friend a couple of years ago & all it was was a couple of rag threads stuck between the valve cover gasket & the cyl head (apparently left there by the last dealer service)

MontanaMark

Hi Cpayne-

I notice that you didn't replace the oil cap's plastic insert. I had the same problems until I replace all four parts - New cap, two new o-rings and the plastic insert. I think these parts get saturated with oil and loose the ability to seal effectively.

Regards,

Mark

Galactic Greyhound

Hi cpayne,

If the bike has overheated at any time (idling too long) it can distort the plastic oil fill cap locking lugs which causes oil blow-by past the cap (insufficient seal pressure).

To check, take off the oil fill cap and hold it upside down with the bottom locking lugs left and right. Look at the lugs, are they perfectly level or are they pointing upwards a bit? if they are pointing upwards they have distorted and you need a new cap.

Hi Cpayne-

I notice that you didn't replace the oil cap's plastic insert. I had the same problems until I replace all four parts - New cap, two new o-rings and the plastic insert. I think these parts get saturated with oil and loose the ability to seal effectively.

Regards,

Mark

I'll look into replacing those. Thanks

Easy enough to check Thanks

I have only had it for 4 months and 3K miles while I have had it I have never seen the oil temp go up past two bars over center. The other day I let it sit while teaching my brother some riding drills and the fans came on. It is an RT-P that is the first time the fans came on for me. I'm sure being an ex police bike it probably had its share of sitting in traffic.

Hi cpayne,

If the bike has overheated at any time (idling too long) it can distort the plastic oil fill cap locking lugs which causes oil blow-by past the cap (insufficient seal pressure).

To check, take off the oil fill cap and hold it upside down with the bottom locking lugs left and right. Look at the lugs, are they perfectly level or are they pointing upwards a bit? if they are pointing upwards they have distorted and you need a new cap.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to to a valve adjustment soon. I'll pop them off and check all that out. Good advice on the tape.

Morning cpayne

You are at the point that you need to try to define the leak area a little closer.

Try taping over the suspected leak areas using some easily removed like masking tape (something that will take the engine heat though)

Then see if the oil leak shows up on the inside or outside of the taped over areas. That might tell you what is or isn't leaking.

To me the suspect area is still that oil fill cap area (one of the "O" rings). Might be a bad spot or nick on the plastic insert, or a faulty "O" ring area on the cap, or just a poor fit, or even something in the valve cover hole causing an "O" ring to not seal completely. Take it apart & CLOSELY inspect ALL the parts & "O" ring sealing areas.

Otherwise replace the rear rocker cover bolt grommet & look closely at the rocker cover seal & rear cam sprocket cover plug.

I repaired an oil leak for a friend a couple of years ago & all it was was a couple of rag threads stuck between the valve cover gasket & the cyl head (apparently left there by the last dealer service)

Archived