IGNORED

Smith and Wesson 340PD?

elkroeger

I know many of you are avid shooters. Anyone have experience with the S&W 340PD? Link It's the lightweight one with the titanium cylinder. What's the general consensus (aside from expensive) - good, bad, or indifferent?

I'm looking for a small, lightweight peacekeeper for backpacking, travel on the bike, etc. More for the nutjobs, rather than the wildlife, but you never know.... I plan to add a laser sight.

Love the S&W wheelguns.

Have several 38's, Chief's Special, 5/6 shot, small and large frame.

+P hollow point has a good punch, the .357 even more.

They feel heavy, obviously, compared to what you're looking at, but are straight shooters and reliable.

I have replaced them as CC's w/a polymer .380 that I always have.

The new generation lightweight guns are a much different feel, IMO.

Love how it feels, light, but haven't shot one enough to pronounce a verdict.

Depending on where you'll carry it you'll most likely love it.

Shop price and check pre-owned as I've seen that gun for a couple hundred less.

I have had one that carried off-duty and as a "backup" on duty for 12 years or so now. Kicks like a mule b/c it is so light compared to the "regular" framed ones. Good for a gunfight in an elevator not much farther away than that.

Good for a gunfight in an elevator not much farther away than that.

Thats a good one. I'll have to remember that. :grin:

It's a good choice to ward off the nutjobs you speak of, but don't expect it to do anything to wild animals other than be a noisemaker. +P is a fairly good round, but I'd go for the .357 version. It'll be more substantially built, and you could always use the .38+P in it if you find it kicks too much and is too inaccurate with .357 rounds.

I'd say it's a good choice for a backpack since it won't rust like a conventional steel revolver, and it'll probably still shoot after picking up dust and dirt from backpacking and outdoor conditions like humidity or rain, unlike an automatic which would be prone to jamming if not squeaky clean. That's the reason after all the automatics that I've bought and sold I never got rid of my stainless model 66 .357

Got my carry permit and was evaluating my S&W Model 28 and really liked the firepower (those 357 rounds make quite the impact in more ways than one) but wanted something smaller and didn't want to be limited by only having 6 rounds 'ready'and also concerned about the limits of a .380. I figure if I ever get in a truly dangerous situation and pull the thing I plan on getting every shot off I need to. Put simply, I like what a Glock can deliver. So I got a Glock 19 and really glad I did. No, it won't make feel "invicible" but in today's world you really need to be prepared.

Good for a gunfight in an elevator not much farther away than that.

Thats a good one. I'll have to remember that. :grin:

+1. gunfight in an elevator... ha ha ha!

Actually that distance is fine. Not that I spend much time in elevators, but it seems to me most of your self defense situations would be close quarters. Any farther away, and maybe I should avoid shooting.

Got my carry permit and was evaluating my S&W Model 28 and really liked the firepower (those 357 rounds make quite the impact in more ways than one) but wanted something smaller and didn't want to be limited by only having 6 rounds 'ready'and also concerned about the limits of a .380. I figure if I ever get in a truly dangerous situation and pull the thing I plan on getting every shot off I need to. Put simply, I like what a Glock can deliver. So I got a Glock 19 and really glad I did. No, it won't make feel "invicible" but in today's world you really need to be prepared.

Great gun.

Nice gun. I have a S&W 642, J frame. Very similar gun in 38 special +P. I carry it in my truck. Over a grand seems extreme to me. You can get a very good J frame for about half that price. Shop around. Like most guns, I find them difficult to conceal carry on my body, so I opted for a Kel Tec P3AT .380, which carries nice in a wallet holster in my back pocket.

I have had one that carried off-duty and as a "backup" on duty for 12 years or so now. Kicks like a mule b/c it is so light compared to the "regular" framed ones. Good for a gunfight in an elevator not much farther away than that.

Granted, they aren't much good for hunting, but at my local range, the shortest targets are at 20 feet. My 642, J frame lays a nice pattern around the bulls eye at that distance. Not so good beyond that.

Wheel guns are kind of old school.

I started carrying auto-loaders in 1985 and never looked back.

My CCW and backup is a Ruger LCP in a wallet holster.

Wheel guns are kind of old school.

I started carrying auto-loaders in 1985 and never looked back.

My CCW and backup is a Ruger LCP in a wallet holster.

Wheel guns are old school & still Cool. I use to carry my Glock 19, 9mm in my truck. But, in the event I ever needed to fend off an intruder, I had visions of piping hot casings ricocheting of the inside of my windshield in my direction. So, I switched my truck gun to my S&W revolver. Plus, it's a hoot to shoot.

Wheel guns and autos all have a useful purpose.

One never knows

elevator-button-300x225.jpg

Yup, I think that would about do it.

Actually, I appreciate the $.02 about autos vs. revolvers. I've had several autos myself, and that's all I currently have. I think this would fill a niche for me on trips where I typically travel unarmed, primarily for weight issues. And I'm not under any delusion that this is something I'd take to the range and plink away a box of .357s....

ericfoerster

Check out the Ruger LCR. It's available in the .357 and you can have some cash left over for bullets to shoot.

I've had mine for a few years and it's pretty well built. It conceals easily without a holster due to the rubber grip. It rides right on the belt line just fine.

standard.jpg

I have the Ruger LCR 38 special with the Crimson Trace laser grips. I find it ideal for what you are considering, and even with the laser it is much less expensive. I really like the laser as a deterent as well as a sighting device. The situations where these guns will be used does not lend itself to extra time for target aquisition. The laser is activated when you are holding the gun.

As already noted, the gun has a pretty good kick due to it's light weight, and that is with range rounds. I would think the 357 would become quite uncomfortable after a dozen rounds at the range. My non-range rounds are the Hornady Critcal Defense.

That LCR is running a close second. It just don't love it. Something about the S&W has piqued my interest. My local dealer's price on the 340PD is $979. I'm not sure that's a bargain, but I haven't seen a better price yet. He's got the LCR for $519 for the .357. I suppose the rational thing would be to go with the LCR, but like I said, the appeal just isn't there. An extra $460 to shed 5.7 oz... Hmmm....

Couchrocket

I own a S&W 386 PD Airlight.

Scandium alloy, titanium cylinder, 357 mag.

Interestingly, it is a seven round cylinder.

Light, low maint, amazingly accurate for a short barrel.

Very similar to what you're considering.

One of three keepers in my collection along side a SS PPKs and a 23c Glock.

Frankly, for the bike and backpacking I prefer the PPKs. A double action auto has some advantages.

Forgive me for getting a bit off topic, but, since this is a gun related. We have a new dealer in the area that just opened their doors last week. They were a very small mom & pop operation just south of Daytona. They just opened their new, larger store just north of Daytona. Here is their web site. www.floridagunexchange.com

So, I stopped in today after work, and, WOW. I was looking at all the eye candy, drooling. There was one, of many, grand opening special that caught my eye. A Ruger LC9, LaserMax at a very good price. http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9/models.html

I couldn't resist. I now own a Ruger 9mm to add to my firearm collection. Now, I just have to dial in the laserMax this weekend.

You could also check out the Beretta Nano...I have been meaning to. It is a 9mm semi auto but looks very compact.

Archived