IGNORED

Tire Wear

Mike05

Interesting results on my first set of PR3's; with a little over 6K miles on them I switched them out for my usual Avon Storm's when some of us went to Arkansas last month. I still have a good 1k+ left on the rear PR3 (a huge improvement over my normal 4k on a rear Avon) but to my surprise the front tire, with plenty of tread remaining, has "squared" off, much like a back tire does at the end of it's useable life. This compares to a usual 7-9k on a front Avon, which results in two rear to every one front Avon tire.

Never saw this before on a front tire; "scalloping", one-sided wear, even zippo center tread, all yes, but not a squared-off front tire. No wonder it feels like I'm falling off a cliff on turn-in's.

Maybe a front Avon with a rear PR3? Original plan was to just buy a No-Mar Tire Changer for easier mounting & stick with the Avon's but I like the extra milage of the (rear)PR3, especially on "longish" trips.

Personal opinion is the PR3's are superb "trip" tires; good in the wet & certainly better rear tire mileage. That being said, I'll stay with Avon Storm 2's for the twisties.

Anyone ever see this on any brand of front tire?

Shiny Side Up

Interesting results on my first set of PR3's; with a little over 6K miles on them I switched them out for my usual Avon Storm's when some of us went to Arkansas last month. I still have a good 1k+ left on the rear PR3 (a huge improvement over my normal 4k on a rear Avon) but to my surprise the front tire, with plenty of tread remaining, has "squared" off, much like a back tire does at the end of it's useable life. This compares to a usual 7-9k on a front Avon, which results in two rear to every one front Avon tire.

Never saw this before on a front tire; "scalloping", one-sided wear, even zippo center tread, all yes, but not a squared-off front tire. No wonder it feels like I'm falling off a cliff on turn-in's.

Maybe a front Avon with a rear PR3? Original plan was to just buy a No-Mar Tire Changer for easier mounting & stick with the Avon's but I like the extra milage of the (rear)PR3, especially on "longish" trips.

Personal opinion is the PR3's are superb "trip" tires; good in the wet & certainly better rear tire mileage. That being said, I'll stay with Avon Storm 2's for the twisties.

Anyone ever see this on any brand of front tire?

Seems like I remember a Metzler LaserTec doing something similar to that on my FJR but it's been some years ago. I thought it may have been just a "bad tire" in a bunch but can't say that for sure - that said, the scalloping on one side is pretty weird.

Mike, I switched to PR3s also and my current set has 8K on both the front and rear. Front looks good, no squaring with a little squaring on the rear. I'll probably get 10k on this set. Front wouild be good for another 3K. I did just get back from Torrey including riding up 191 Clifton to Alpine. That might have taken off any front tire squaring. Excellent tires, I'll get another set. I change my own with a low end HF changer along with Mitch's mojo bar. works great.

I've recently mounted PR3s on my Ducati and here are what they look like after some track time. I was very satified with their performance on the track. As you can see, the side tread is pretty soft, offering very good cornering traction. The rear was mounted just before the track day. The front has a couple of track days plus Spring Torrey on it.

I also have a set of PR3s on the RT and haven't notice any signs of squaring off to this point, about 3,000 miles.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

"I change my own with a low end HF changer along with Mitch's mojo bar. works great."

Hi John,

Me too; use both Mitch's mojo bar & his portable (vice-grip-it-to-the-bench) tire changer. Think I want the No-Mar mostly for ease of use with more then one bike.

What tire pressure are you running on your PR 3's? Maybe that's my issue.

My 2011 R-RT came with B'stone 021 tires. BMW must have gotten a deal on these turkeys. I have yet to read a positive review of these. I can't speak to their ultimate traction qualities, but wear is definitley poor. At 6,000 miles the front has worn to an odd trapezoidal shape with a narrow flat in the center and heavy feathering in the tread areas. I run BMW recomended pressures for one rider + luggage (I'm 240 lbs).

Soon will be time for some PR3s, tho the B'stone 023GTs get good reviews.

pete

After looking at my tires during the annual inspection, my dealer mechanic recommended I up the pressures in both tires. I had been running 34 and 38 on the OE Metzeler Z6's. Now they're 38 and 40.

I have three shallow depressions on my Metzler Z8 front tires with 10,000 miles so new ones are arriving tomorrow. I love these tires!!! The rest of the tire looks like it could go for a couple thousand more.

I have been told that fast cornering could have caused this. No brag honestly, but I like a peppy corner when it works. Anyone else see this?

My PR2s have 11k on them and are worn less than BerndM's. Starting to show signs of squaring on the rear but not the front. Run 36 front, 40 rear carrying my 250# and the side bags (usually empty).

Hoping to need new tires around the end-of-year holidays, maybe catch a deal.

to my surprise the front tire, with plenty of tread remaining, has "squared" off, much like a back tire does at the end of it's useable life.

Same thing happened with my PR2s at about 10K. One ride they were fine and then the next time I looked they had a 3 or 4" wide "flat" spot in the center with the sides falling away. Definitely feel it leaning into curves. I chalked it up to the side compound being softer. I had Metzler 880s which wore like iron (15K+ on them) on the 1150 but went with the PR2s on the 1200 - I do like the wet handling better than the Metzlers. Just got a set of PR3s to replace the 2s and expect the same squared off front to happen to these - just chalking it up as a price to pay for the cornering/wet performance that the dual compound rubber offers.

Archived