IGNORED

spot (gps messenger) mounting

Missouri Bob

Missouri Bob

I just bought one. Everything I have seen so far indicates that the device must be in the open with a clear unobstructed view of the sky? I would think that the signal could pass through the fabric top of my tank bag. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Bob

terryofperry

Bob

Many options. I wear mine left shoulder above the elbow, never missed a beat. If it is on the bike and you get seperated from the bike, such as an accident will certainly do, how ya gonna get to it?

Just saying.

Terry

Bill_Walker

I keep mine in the clear map window of my tank bag. Covers part of the map, maybe, but I hardly use paper maps while on the bike anyway.

I do worry a bit about Terry's concern. But I wonder if the unit itself is more likely to survive the crash on the bike or on your person. I suppose the ideal solution would be to have two units!

Nice n Easy Rider

I stick mine in my topbox when I'm in having lunch and it seems to continue tracking during those times.

A layer of plastic or fabric won't hurt, more important would be to mount it as high as you can so as to have as close to a horizon-to-horizon view as possible.

Have used my SPOT 2 in an RKA tankbag that has an aluminum top reinforcing plate,their"InCharge"series.

Spot signals went thru that and several layers of maps just fine.

Make sure the SPOT logo and buttons face the sky for best transmission.

JR356

I mount mine on the right brake fluid reservoir using heavy duty velcro. Only time it fell off was on the gravel portion of Alcan Hwy. It just flopped onto the tank and I stopped and put it back on. Now I also put a zip tie around it.

For the dirt bike, I put in in the map portion top of the tank bag.

RockBottom

I initially tried hanging it in its own case from the brake line but it missed too much that way. I've had the best luck with it either in a RAM mount or in the clear map compartment on top of a tank bag.

I know some people say to have it attached to you but I figure the chances of me being in an accident where there is no one else around and I'm able to activate the device but unable to get to it from wherever I'm laying are so small that it doesn't justify wearing the thing around.

Bob

Many options. I wear mine left shoulder above the elbow, never missed a beat. If it is on the bike and you get seperated from the bike, such as an accident will certainly do, how ya gonna get to it?

Just saying.

Terry

I've said this many times but it seems that most people want to mount it on their bike. It makes no sense..... I have unfortunately seen some nasty accidents and the person is never close enough to the bike to activate the sos feature.

Terry

I've said this many times but it seems that most people want to mount it on their bike. It makes no sense..... I have unfortunately seen some nasty accidents and the person is never close enough to the bike to activate the sos feature.

I have this dilemma with my Spot. I do not have the breadcrumbs turned on and manually send via the check/ok button. I did wrap it around my left thigh when I started out with it. Worked ok from there but was a nuisance when I got off the bike and never stayed there. Went to the right arm and found the signal did not ping well so I have been staying lately with it on the Clutch master cylinder on my 12 C. Holds fine there and can readily send a ping well. If I wore it and crashed on it, it would be useless to me, I can't send a ping while riding if in my pocket / would I be able to retrieve it if I crashed?

In short-- my take is that it may be best on the bike while riding in traveled roadways as I or a passerby may activate and perhaps on your person while on less traveled roads and hope the crash does not destroy the unit. The other dilemma is if you crash in a ravine under a tree line and fail to get a clear view of the sky, you must have that to successfully make the ping in any case.

terryofperry

Terry

I have this dilemma with my Spot. I do not have the breadcrumbs turned on and manually send via the check/ok button. I did wrap it around my left thigh when I started out with it. Worked ok from there but was a nuisance when I got off the bike and never stayed there. Went to the right arm and found the signal did not ping well so I have been staying lately with it on the Clutch master cylinder on my 12 C. Holds fine there and can readily send a ping well. If I wore it and crashed on it, it would be useless to me, I can't send a ping while riding if in my pocket / would I be able to retrieve it if I crashed?

In short-- my take is that it may be best on the bike while riding in traveled roadways as I or a passerby may activate and perhaps on your person while on less traveled roads and hope the crash does not destroy the unit. The other dilemma is if you crash in a ravine under a tree line and fail to get a clear view of the sky, you must have that to successfully make the ping in any case.

Hey Bob, How is everything. Really enjoyed the conversation on the back porch at the last UN. I'm still checking in with the Chromeheads group from time to time.

I think that quote should be credited to bgf50 as it is not mine. He quoted me in the yellow box thingy above his response.

I see the merits of all the responses, Sheehan was looking for ideas, I said many options, this is one I use. I see your point, I use the tracking function so it is different than sending an OK every now and then. The odds are it would survive on the bike better than the rider, I just know what is best for me. I am not that good of a rider, I am going to have a get off, I want it with me not the bike. I'll probably break a rib or two when I land on it. I knew I would be in the minority but not the only one wearing it. I wonder where Foot is gonna put his new one?

Ride safely and stay well.

Terry

I bought a spot yesterday and have it in my jacket pocket, the little key strap is perfect to run thru the spot attachments, that way it's not much chance of coming out of the pocket. Gave it a test ride yesterday and it tracked just fine inside the pocket. I'm headed out tomorrow for my first Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 so I'm interested to see how well it tracks and sends OK messages back. If anyone is bored to death and wants to see my track, here is a link, leaving at 0400 tomorrow from Moore OK to Buffalo WY.

http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=4a924fce721ba8a0d

Terry -

my apologies to that and I hope no one is offended. I hope that you mean IF I have a get off. ... I hope to never have one of those in my future and of course the only way to be a better rider is to ride! Be well my friend and as everything that is mostly here in America, it is a matter of choice.

Bob

terryofperry

No apology needed Bob, I was just giving credit to the author.

Yes, I meant IF, not when, and hopefully a big if.

Looking forward to the next time we have a drink.

Terry

Missouri Bob

Good ideas and insights. I never even thought about separating from my bike during a crash.

The Spot works well from the tank bag's map compartment, but now I'm thinking that it could be attached to the Velcro strips on my Aerostich's left sleeve.

In any case, thanks for your help.

Bob

I'm going to chime in and agree with those who recommend wearing it on your body - just did a 2000 mile trip with mine strapped to my left arm - worked flawlessly when ever I wanted to send a message. I do a lot of solo riding, including the occasional duel sport ride and want it to be within reach if I ever go down and need it. I don't have tracking turned on.

Dennis

Archived