IGNORED

Tank bag mounting

Bruce (Bedford)

Bruce (Bedford)

Year before last I purchased a tank bag with magnets - obviously no good for my RT but it was a good price (cheap) and as the paint was naff & @$%&*green I stuck 'penny' washers to the tupperware & the tank bag magnetically stayed in place. (however I did have a lanyard around the handle & bars just in case)

Now with my nice new black paint job & desperately waiting for the weather to dry up I'm thinking about how I can modify my tank bag with magnetic wings to suit the new paint job - I don't mind adding some discrete fasteners to the tupperware.

Ideas??

(I have seen the extended filler cap screw system & wonder if I can fabricate something on those lines)

Bruce

Mark where you want the magnets to stick on the tupperware, remove it and glue rare earth magnets to the inside.

-----

Bruce (Bedford)
Mark where you want the magnets to stick on the tupperware, remove it and glue rare earth magnets to the inside.

Good call Quinn, I have just Googled them & 10 20x1mm are extremely affordable I can fix them to the underside of the fairing using my favorite Tiger Seal/PU Sealant.

Are there pole issues? I have heard of rare earth magnets but have no experience, I guess if I get them right they will hold like 'blanket glue' (I presume you understand 'blanket glue' in the USofA!)

Good call...

Unfortunately the tupperware will have to come off again 'cos I think that the battery is needing a change, its not holding charge & the ABS is 'on the blink'.

Bruce

The other option is a more permenant type of headtock halter & some sort of fixing to the rear of the tank.

The original type uses a zipper fixed to the screws at the rear of the tank

Just check for attraction to the bag magnets so you know which side to glue facing them. Rare earth magnets are just super strong magnets that don't lose their charge.

-----

Shiny Side Up

-----

BRILLIANT - I've been wondering how to attach my old tank bag from my FJR.

Thanks, my man!!

Hi Bruce

If you go down the route of the rare earth magnets you may want to make up some transparent protector film pieces to protect the new paint job as fixing and removing the tankbag magnets will mark the paint.

Also any movement of the bag magnets on the tank area will scuff the paint too.

Bruce (Bedford)
Hi Bruce

If you go down the route of the rare earth magnets you may want to make up some transparent protector film pieces to protect the new paint job as fixing and removing the tankbag magnets will mark the paint.

Also any movement of the bag magnets on the tank area will scuff the paint too.

The bag magnets are within the fabric of the bag - but good point maybe a bit of clear 3m in the right places.

Quinn was spot on with his advice!

As soon as our extended 'royal' holiday is over, its the next job. Oh yes & the weather improves too...

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

I'm curious to know if my advise (which came from other sources) worked. Did you finish the project? Are the magnets grippy enough? What kind of glue to hold them? And how hard was it to get them positioned correctly?

I'm still using a Big Mak tank bag, but it's holding on by a thread or three.

-----

Bruce (Bedford)

Hi Quinn

Yes the job is done & I set out for Belle France tomorrow morning for a week following Le Tour de France!

I purchased some rare earth magnets and found them to be exactly as we discussed however I ended up gluing thin steel sheet (I'm not good with gauges but about 1/32") under the locations of the bag magnets and clamping then in place whilst the glue set. The steel was thin enough to form to the plastic - with a bit of encouraging. I then glued the RE magnets to the steel.

Below the center fairing section was brilliant but the bag 'wings' fall on sculptured sections of the side sections so only parts of the magnets get good contact, but it'll do.

I'll still use a cord lanyard around the tank bag handle and the handlebars though! Belt & braces as all my docs will be in there.

The 'glue' is PU Sealant or Tiger Seal, it is used in the motor industry to 'stick' panels on cars, in fact on my daughter's Fiat's it's used to seal the oil sump!! - I love it!!

I'll post my trip on Rider Tales when I get back with a tank bag photo.

I was reluctant to take the tupperware off again and of course I had to wait for the filler o ring - but its been worth it!

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...
Bruce (Bedford)

Not good I'm afraid!

The magnets held the tank bag in place but when wet there was little lateral adhesion, the rain acted as a super lubricant! At one point I was sooo glad that I’d got the lot tied on at the front, but we survived with out any serious impact.

I need a tank bag for sure but the problem of holding it in place alas remains.

My next idea is to try to replicate an idea I've seen where two of the filler cap screws are replaced with screws with studs sticking up and corresponding registers are set into the bottom of the tank bag. Maybe something like the soft top of my MG Midget from all those years ago? I don't like the idea of projections out of the top of my tank but they are only needed for trips...

Maybe it is time to just sell the magnet bag and purchase one with straps? I've got a very nice method to fasten the straps to the bike using existing screws that I'd be glad to share if you are interested.

Bruce,

Have you looked into any of the SW-Motech petrol cap mounting solutions?

Twisted Throttle.com carries quite a few bags for the R1100RT that are compatible.

Look Here.

Bruce (Bedford)

Eddd

I've seen those threaded holes before - what on earth were they for? (Dirtrider will let us know!)

Your recommendation has merit as it avoids using the tank tupperware 'acorn' screws which are a bit dodgy on my 'old lady'.

Some webbing, some snap fasteners, washers and the efforts of the good Mrs Bruce - we could be onto something!

I'm quite happy with my bag, its expandable, mostly water tight and was a good bargain at the time, trouble is good bargains always seem to end up the same!!!

Bruce

Hi Bruce

Those are the fixing points for the BMW tankbag fixing, front two take metal loop points for the hooks on the front of the bag, and the rear points used by eddd are where the std zipper peice fits to the back of the tank.

So those points should be good for attaching your tank bag to.

Mines fitted in the same place for nearly 3 years now.

Good luck

Let me recommend this manufacturer

http://shop.sw-motech.com/en/by+products/Luggage+Systems/Tankbags/index.htm

with this attachment system

http://shop.sw-motech.com/en/by+products/Luggage+Systems/Tankrings/index.htm

I use it myself and it's highly recommended

regards

I use a Bags-Connection Daypack on my RT. I really like the mounting system, easy on and off for fuel fill ups and no part on the bag touches the painted surfaces of the tank cover. The bag is small but they make bigger ones that mount the same way. Price was good too at Twistedthrotle.com

Not the greatest pictures, but you get the idea.

mounting

eddd - thanks for that link; what a great idea. I always hated getting the webbing around the front fork. I may have to try that.

Hi Bruce

Those are the fixing points for the BMW tankbag fixing, front two take metal loop points for the hooks on the front of the bag, and the rear points used by eddd are where the std zipper peice fits to the back of the tank.

So those points should be good for attaching your tank bag to.

Mines fitted in the same place for nearly 3 years now.

Good luck

oldyam - thanks for the explanation. Do you know if I can order just the metal loop points? What would I ask for? any pictures of what they look like? Maybe I can alter the straps I have and put matching hooks on them. It would be nice not to have straps hanging off the tank when not in use. The ones under the seat I can just push under the seat out of site.

Archived