IGNORED

GPS Advice: What should I buy?

luvALX

OK, looking at all the posts, I am thinking about getting a GPS. I have never used one, but have always been a fan of gadgets and it would save me from the current approach that I use--map and highlighter.

The $64,000 question is which one do I buy? I am looking for some advice from what seems to be quite an experienced group. thumbsup.gif I have some ideas of my own, but I dont want to prejudice the discussion with what I think. wink.gif

So what are your suggestions? I am looking for two suggestions. First, money is no object GPS. Second, best value. In my book they could be the same thing if the features are there.

What I am looking for is one to use on my R1200RT:

- want it to mount well

- weather proof

- can transfer to the car if desired

- dont care about weather or satalite radio

- can get a good set of maps for eastern Canada and north eastern United States (where I ride most)

- colour

- would like to be able to leave it on the bike if I leave the bike for a few minutes (but this is not a must have option)

Thanks in advance. clap.gif

OK, looking at all the posts, I am thinking about getting a GPS. I have never used one, but have always been a fan of gadgets and it would save me from the current approach that I use--map and highlighter.

The $64,000 question is which one do I buy? I am looking for some advice from what seems to be quite an experienced group. thumbsup.gif I have some ideas of my own, but I dont want to prejudice the discussion with what I think. wink.gif

So what are your suggestions? I am looking for two suggestions. First, money is no object GPS. Second, best value. In my book they could be the same thing if the features are there.

What I am looking for is one to use on my R1200RT:

- want it to mount well

- weather proof

- can transfer to the car if desired

- dont care about weather or satalite radio

- can get a good set of maps for eastern Canada and north eastern United States (where I ride most)

- colour

- would like to be able to leave it on the bike if I leave the bike for a few minutes (but this is not a must have option)

Thanks in advance. clap.gif

You're pretty much describing the Garmin 276c with the auto navigation kit. The GPS is waterproof, has a big color screen, multiple ways of attaching to the R-bike (I use one on my RT and GS). The auto kit lets you use it in the car with voice-prompts. It has battery/bike power capability. You can get a locking mount if you don't trust folks while you leave it on the bike, and the battery power means it won't shut down if you don't want it to (your choice) when the bike powers down.

It doesn't do XM weather.

Many of us use this unit and I whole-heartedly recommend it.

Aluminum_Butt

I'd agree with the 276c for the "money is no object" option. But by the time you add the car kit to get the Mapsource software and car mount stuff, you're in the $800 range. It is a beautiful unit with a large screen and a fast processor.

The value option is probably the 2610. It can be had for aroud $620 complete. Still a very nice unit.

There is another value option in looking for a used Street Pilot 3. I've seen these (in almost new shape) go on Ebay for $250 - $300. Compared to the 2610, the display tends to wash out in bright sun and the route recalc time is longer. But it's still a very useable unit. You would probably end up with version 4 or 5 of the Mapsource software, but can upgrade to version 7 for around $150 (if you really care - version 4 and 5 are still very useable). Be aware that version 7 requires your PC to have a DVD drive.

Many of the Garmin units have a cousin (like the 2620 is for the 2610) that have an internal hard drive and the Mapsource software is preloaded. These are not recommended for M/C use as the hard drives are more subject to fail from the vibration. Plus, they don't include the Mapsource software for your PC, so all your route planning must be done on the GPS itself - a real PITA.

www.gpsnow.com is a great resource for information and good prices (I have no affiliation, just like their site).

I have just installed a BMW Motorrad Navigator (re badged Garmin StreetPilot III) on my R1150RT and am very happy.

Though an older model GPS it is still well supported with software updates and additional accesspries including specific mounting kits for a lot of bikes.

I'm still waiting on my updated MapSource CD to arrive so I can plan my rides on the PC then download to the GPS but even without the PC support it is an easy unit to use, clear screen on the bike and the weatherproof case in robust as well.

I note there are usually a few available on E-bay at a decent price.

Plus, they don't include the Mapsource software for your PC, so all your route planning must be done on the GPS itself - a real PITA.

www.gpsnow.com is a great resource for information and good prices (I have no affiliation, just like their site).

I'd agree with this point. I have a 276C. Route planning and creation of waypoints is much easier on the PC and it takes a USB connection and a couple of seconds to download to the unit.

I have the Lowrence iway 500. I resold the 276c a few weeks after buying it.

The Lowrence has a big touch screen (that you can actually see & poke w gloves on) Its excellent for car viewing (yes Dorothy size matters)

I used it on a bun burner and had 12 hours+ rain. It started to miss after 11 hrs (I have a sports screen).

I recommed it.

There is another value option in looking for a used Street Pilot 3. I've seen these (in almost new shape) go on Ebay for $250 - $300.
I have checked ebay on the StreetPilot III, and in fact there are several on sale there now, some of them NIB, generally for well under $300. Is there a general consensus that the III , rather than the III-Plus , is the better one for motorcycle use? And do all the StreetPilot IIIs have color displays?

I rarely get lost and seldom use the navigator in my car. I am not particularly attracted to "gadgets," so I would never pay full price for one of these units, but I might be a convert if I could get a good one for a good price --especially if I could also use it for hiking (where I can easily get lost).

Aluminum_Butt

Hmmm...I think it would pay to be careful with nomenclature here. I'm only familiar with the Streetpilot III Deluxe - not Plus, so I went on Ebay and looked. There is a Garmin III Plus, however this is probably not the unit you want - I don't think it supports autorouting for one thing, and the memory is extremely limited. Also be careful, because Garmin made a Streetpilot (without the III) that did not have autorouting.

IMHO, if you go this way, you want to look for a Streetpilot III. AFAIK, Garmin called it a Streetpilot III Deluxe because it came bundled with everything from memory to automounts. I'm not familiar with a Streetpilot III Plus .

a garmin quest or quest 2 with RAM mount. Portable (20hour battery), waterproof, color screen, small enough to fit in your shirt pocket, no wires or anything to install on your bike, comes with a car kit. $355 or $550 + ram mount $75.

a garmin quest or quest 2 with RAM mount. Portable (20hour battery), waterproof, color screen, small enough to fit in your shirt pocket, no wires or anything to install on your bike, comes with a car kit. $355 or $550 + ram mount $75.

I like the idea of this one. I need one for a lot of different applications, like hiking, hunting, and of course on my RT. Seems like the only one that will do it all for me.

You know, for the money I like the Garmin GPSmap 60 C. It works great for what I need and it can go on my boat, in my car, and on the bike. I can also take it on the trail or mount it one my bicycle. You need to get the Car kit for it ($140 ish) and you are ready to go…

The whole setup set me back about $450

GPS%20002.jpg

For ease of use, ability to move it from bike to car, and to hold the entire US mapset, I would go with the Garmin 2610. It is an excellent unit, inexpensive, comew with all the needed software, plus everyting needed to install it in a car, including a speaker powered by the power cord.

Bike mounts are cheap, and this unit has a very user friendly touch screen.

The only drawbacks to the unit are no battery, and a slightly less quality screen from the touch screen.

For me, these are not a problem, but YMMV!

12GS-GS-GPS-Mount2.jpg

12-11-05-ride.jpg

01-2610-Front-w-bat-pack.jpg

I have a sweet lithium battery pack for tose times I want to use it in a hotel, or I can power it with the battery pack in my tank bag.

Jim cool.gif

PS These are available all over for just under $500.

The $64,000 question is which one do I buy?

I think Maddawg said it pretty well. I also have the Garmin 276C. I have owned several and prior to the 276C had the Garmin III then the V. The processing speed of the 276C and it's increased memory capacity are wonderful. It is a bit pricey, but I have no regrets after using it this past riding season. You can get a power cable for the bike with audio you can feed into a helmet com system if desired to get verbal as well as the visual instructions (FYI the unit itself has no speaker and depends on a cig lighter cable for car w/built in speaker or a hardwire cable you can get for your bike with an audio jack to feed your com system). The accuracy is very good. It does have a proprietary battery which was a concern to me as my daughter and I do Geocaching, but the life on it is excellent and it charges whenever it's on, so it's always ready to go. The screen size is good and the visibility is great for me even in bright conditions. I have no problems whatsoever operating the buttons with gloves on. I was looking at the 2620 and believe there's a 2630 now too. But some of these units use "microdrives" (little compact flash size hard drives) and several sources advised against using a microdrive driven device on a motorcycle. The 276C uses a form of flash memory not prone to any problems with the vibrations of a handlebar mount. My 276C has seen it's share of downpours and it's not a problem. They are made to some standard of waterproof spec you can read about in the specs of the unit.

I'd also recommend www.gpsnow.com Great service, fast and some of the best prices out there. You might beat them by a few dollars on EBAY, but good luck if you have a problem with it... I'm sure there are many great units out there, but if I were doing it again, I'd still purchase the 276C and a few others in our local club who have tried it have all gone out and purchased one. If you know anyone local who has any of the models you're looking at, see if they'll give you a demo or let you try it.

Archived