IGNORED

Un XI Dual Sport

blaisew

I will plan on getting to the area by the previous weekend, probably Sunday. Right now I'm open as to where to stay, where to ride, although lawnchairboy has some good ideas. If anyone else wants to make it early, and maybe split room costs, PM me and we can go from there.

Never tell Chris he has good ideas. It just encourages him :grin:

I think it will be mostly weather dependent for me. I'm looking at 1600-1800 miles in 2-3 days to get out there depending on how it all works out. WAY TOO early to tell. If mother nature cooperates, I could easily get there Sunday evening. If not, I won't be there till Monday.

will be staying in Ridgway 17-21 July before the UN, lots on the list for that area....anybody around then shoot me a PM.

I will try and do last dollar, engineer, imogene etc. I don't think I have the cajones for black bear.

I'll be in the area early with the XT. I'm with David on Black Bear. Checked it off the list, but not interested in trying it again. It is brutal. I want to have fun, it wasn't fun. Corkscrew was a blast and should be on the list.

What is the license plate situation up there? I can't see any way I'll have the CRF street legal again in time, I will have my truck to transport it if necessary to the staging point. Depending on whether Janet is going to kick our butts on her dirt bike maybe I'll bring a KLR and the CRF. (Looks like I may need the trailer...)

This might help out Bob

http://www.parks.state.co.us/OHVsandSnowmobiles/OHVProgram/OHVRegistrations/Pages/OHVRegistrations.aspx

Found a cool site with lots of info on the passes, locations, maps, intersections, and general info.

That's the site I've been looking for! Don't look now, but I'm wearing my skirt..... Trails are rated up to 6. I've done a 5 on my small bike, but I don't think I would want to do that on the big Husky. My vote, if there is such a thing, would be to keep it to the 4's for this trip. I think those can be done with a grin on a big GS with an experienced pilot. A 5, not so much. Survival mode!
roadscholar
schmuck: I will be riding both & expect to be on the DR quite a bit :)

I think that is the same guy that was inquiring last week if he could buy my 250. Talk is cheap. :grin:

schmuck: I will be riding both & expect to be on the DR quite a bit :)

I think that is the same guy that was inquiring last week if he could buy my 250. Talk is cheap. :grin:

Yup....I want to be a girly man too.

:Cool:

lawnchairboy

plus....

eddd will be here to abandon you after you go through Whip's wash and the Katoom is no longer upright.

Hope you have a spot locator...

:)

SO.......now that I am looking at maps, a zillion Jeep tracks, and about a dozen mountain passes. How likely am I to get myself into trouble routing things like I do here on the East coast? I'm used to connecting goat paths in the middle of nowhere to get where I want to go. I occasionally have to stop and turn around due to a locked gate and once due a VERY deep water crossing. Other than that, I can usually get through the way I wanted. The more I read, the more I'm assuming thats not a good idea out there?

Any words of wisdom for planning routes, or should I just hold tight and mooch off of the girly men?

Never saw any gates, maybe in the little towns, no water crossings. I was more concerned with the steep loose small to medium baby heads. A break down would be a long hike out tho.

roadscholar

Any words of wisdom for planning routes, or should I just hold tight and mooch off of the girly men?

I'd go with number two, mainly because you'll be in a group and have some help if needed.

The passes listed a couple pages back are what I'm familiar with for being big bike friendly, two others in the area would be Guanella and Boreas, haven't ridden them but acccounts indicate they're fine. Boreas is on one of the routes.

Here's a video (13+ minutes) showing admittedly one of the gnarlier passes over the CD, but they're all different, and other than Cottonwood or Marshall in the vicinity, I'd avoid them on a GS. It also depicts two other phenomena you're likely to encounter, 4-wheelers (most of whom are courteous) and weather. This is part of the old Trimble Stagecoach Route and probably hasn't had much maintenance since. "Hey, they called us asshats" :)

I had one of my Jeep buddies tell me that Boreas would be easy for a big bike and the scenery should be stellar. In fact, he said I would be able to do it in my Corolla if the weather was nice.

So they call you "jackasses", but they are up there with no helmets on. :dopeslap:

Here's a video (13+ minutes) showing admittedly one of the gnarlier passes over the CD

The rock gardens aren't my favorite place to play, but in CO you frequently have to plant a wheel in them. If anyone plans to do something similar this ride, I'm going to drop my gearing as it's too high for this. If we are staying in GS country, I'm set as is.

Keith

I would be honored to join you and help you pick up your GS if you will do the same for me and my Katoom.

I bet we can get some other non-girly men to join us so we can take turns picking up bikes.

:thumbsup:

Keith

I would be honored to join you and help you pick up your GS if you will do the same for me and my Katoom.

I bet we can get some other non-girly men to join us so we can take turns picking up bikes.

Awesome :grin:

Keith

Awesome :grin:

I'm in :grin:

I got hung up on a crosstie buried, it stuck up about 1-1/2", could not back the bike over it. Bout had a heart attack. Don't even want to think about trying to lift this monster off the dirt.

I got hung up on a crosstie buried, it stuck up about 1-1/2", could not back the bike over it. Bout had a heart attack. Don't even want to think about trying to lift this monster off the dirt.

If I was there I woulda helped ya after I took a few pix.

:grin:

lawnchairboy

exactly in that order....

edited cause' I thought your wrote, I would have helped you first and then taken some pics. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Between Telluride & the million dollar highway shows some pretty spectacular scenery according to google maps. Anyone planning to ride that one?

Pat

Between Telluride & the million dollar highway shows some pretty spectacular scenery according to google maps. Anyone planning to ride that one?

Pat

This one is doable on a GS.

...and so is this one.

The others are rather challenging. :dopeslap:

L

I took a little YouTube ride up Black Bear Pass, OMG! Probably not gonna happen on the GS, does anyone have a large mountain goat and a saddle for sale?

Pat

roadscholar

There is and it's almost a straight shot, Los Pinos Pass, nice forest roads from Doylesville to Lake City, an old stage route.

1094677042_astiA-L.jpg

1094687101_hAmhU-L.jpg

Are you guys all getting OHV permit stickers? Being part of the offroad (Jeep) community as well, I decided to get one to help support offroading in the CO area. I orignially thought they were just for dirt bikes, ATVs, and unlicensed offroad rigs. That doesn't seem to be the case. The more I'm reading, the more I believe it will be a necessity for some of the places we are going. They are required for every vehicle traveling on a public land and/or trails.

I know for sure you need them to run the Alpine Loop. Sounds like they aren't too militant about it, but it will greatly aid you with public relations if you get in a pickle.

You can mail order them like I did from HERE. It took a little over a week to get mine, so I'm not sure I would go that route. Looks like you can also pick them up at the entrance to certain state parks in CO, and also at some motorcycle/ATV dealers. The local dealership in Salida (High Country Connection) looks like it is included on the LIST, so you might want to swing by there and pick one up before we head out on any adventures.

Never had one and never had anyone ask for one or suggest I needed one in many years of Jeep and dual sport use in the area.

All the vehicles I've used in the area were licensed. The regulations I just read here states that OHV does not include (g) Vehicles registered pursuant to article 3 of title 42, C.R.S. Article 3 of title 42 deals with regular vehicle licenses.

From the Stay the Trail, Colorado site

2. Vehicle and OHV Registration/Permit Questions

What types of vehicles have to purchase an OHV Registration/Permit?

All motor vehicles (licensed or not) operated on routes designated open to off-highway vehicles are required to obtain either an annual OHV Registration or Non-Resident Permit. Information on how to purchase and what the OHV Registration program funds is available at http://parks.state.co.us/OHVsandSnowmobiles/OHVProgram/

We do recommend the purchase of a "registration" versus permit so that yearly reminder renewal cards will be sent to your home address.

My recreational vehicle (dirt bike, ATV, UTV, or 4x4) is licensed and street legal in my home state. Do I need an OHV permit to ride on Forest Service and BLM roads and trails in Colorado?

Yes. All motor vehicles used on routes designated open to OHVs, including those vehicles with valid out-of-state license plates must still purchase an annual OHV Registration or Non-Resident Permit through Colorado State Parks. The money collected helps to fund the stewardship that makes those riding opportunities available including trail maintenance, education, and other projects.

Quote:

2. Vehicle and OHV Registration/Permit Questions

What types of vehicles have to purchase an OHV Registration/Permit?

All motor vehicles (licensed or not) operated on routes designated open to off-highway vehicles are required to obtain either an annual OHV Registration or Non-Resident Permit. Information on how to purchase and what the OHV Registration program funds is available at http://parks.state.co.us/OHVsandSnowmobiles/OHVProgram/

We do recommend the purchase of a "registration" versus permit so that yearly reminder renewal cards will be sent to your home address.

My recreational vehicle (dirt bike, ATV, UTV, or 4x4) is licensed and street legal in my home state. Do I need an OHV permit to ride on Forest Service and BLM roads and trails in Colorado?

Yes. All motor vehicles used on routes designated open to OHVs, including those vehicles with valid out-of-state license plates must still purchase an annual OHV Registration or Non-Resident Permit through Colorado State Parks. The money collected helps to fund the stewardship that makes those riding opportunities available including trail maintenance, education, and other projects.

My understanding is you only need an OHV permit if you are traveling on a designated OHV trail,which are easily identified by a sign or 50 inch wide barrier at the trail entrance.

Here is a qoute from a local thats organizing a rally for another board

Some clarification on this: if you go on singletrack or quadtrack (less than 50" wide), you are supposed to have it. If you stick to trails that jeeps can go on you do not need it.

Don't forget Lawnchair boy, I get to ride on the back of David's bike this time on the off road trails!! :dopeslap:

I'm getting excited can't wait to get started!! :clap:

lawnchairboy

I don't care if I never get to ride on the back of that yammie again for the rest of my days...

see you soon. betcha he even lets you ride with the passenger seat on.

He's actually going to have the back seat on for me! :Cool:

Oooops you beat me to it!! I get special privileges you see! :D

Hey guys. Bill has put some GS routes and small dual sport routes together, and I have transcribed them into written directions in PDF format.

Considering the effort that went into these routes, we don't want to post them for public download. I will gladly forward them to you via email if you PM me your email address though.

We have 10 GS style big bike routes

3 small dual sport routes

and one shorter "test" route for your big bike if you think you might want to tackle some of the small bike stuff

PS......We also posted up 9 paved routes for public download in a different thread LINK

Archived