IGNORED

Un XI Dual Sport

blaisew

After pouring thru the various threads on the next UN I see a bit of chatter about some dual sporting but nothing definite. I really hate to get all the way out to Salida and not take the opportunity to enjoy the back roads. I could trailer my RT and one of my dual sports, or just ride one of the latter, if there is going to be any like-minded company. If not, taking the RT and remaining on the pavement is always a winner. Salida: too much good riding and I can only be on one motorcycle at a time.

My finger is in the air to see what others are thinking of.....

Ken

I'm tossing a TKC80 on the front and a Heidenau K60 on the rear of my GS with the hopes of getting off the pavement. I don't know what people are getting in to, but I wouldn't be upset to spend most of the week in the dirt.

Considering the area......if I had the choice between an RT or a dual sport, I would want the dual sport. Just my $.02

I'm bringing my XT250 and Ducati. Not sure when I'll be offroad since I'm spending some additional days in the area. The last I heard Bill Ferron will also have his dual sport there.

You go, we go! :thumbsup: Heard this in a movie once. :grin:

Negotiations are still ongoing with the GT & GS as to who rolls west in July. :S

Pat

roadscholar

Negotiations are still ongoing with the GT & GS as to who rolls west in July. :S

Don't want to sway you one way or the other, but

078-L.jpg

060-L.jpg

122-L.jpg

lawnchairboy

I knew you would be there to perform the pre-ride pine cone protection ceremony in the parking lot for me.

Don't want to sway you one way or thin other but,

Too late for me, damage is done! :thumbsup:

Now, if I could just talk my butt into a relationship with the new Sargent seat I'd be good to go. :grin:

Pat

..and if you want to bring something a little smaller..

IMG0191-L.jpg

IMG0160-L.jpg

Not saying you couldn't do this on a GS,but its a whole new world when you have to pick it up at 12k feet.. :rofl:

I may even show up for a bit,but it will probably be on a 250.

Don't want to sway you one way or the other, but

078-L.jpg

I've ended up on roads like the one above on my K1200RS. :):dopeslap:

Paul Mihalka

"I've ended up on roads like the one above on my K1200RS. :):dopeslap:

Did your GPS take you there? :grin:

roadscholar
Pat:

I am pretty sure this is alpine tunnel, an old railbed which I will be riding again in the near future!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_Tunnel

That's it. I try to avoid dead end roads but this one's an exception, it runs up the west side of the CD off the Pitkin/Cumberland Gap Rd. At one spot a wall was needed to shore up the RR bed. Was just up there again last week, there were some boulders and a couple snowbanks on the road but will be gone by July.

063-L.jpg

This is the only pic I got of Chris up there, sorry it's not better.

212-L.jpg

Because our loop made it 110 miles between fuel (the Pitkin General Store closes at 4 off-season) I asked Chris to get a head start and try to coast the 10 miles back down.

217-L.jpg

He had to add some peddle power at times. :grin:

257-L.jpg

Dave on the Super T.

234-L.jpg

Not sure if coasting was the difference but we did make it to the gas station in Sargents.

279-L.jpg

I learned to ski years ago, notice how I still lean into the hill, not recommended on the new shaped skis. :-)

Thanks Chris & Bill! :thumbsup: I wonder if Mapsource goes that deep?

Thinking a bit here, taking the population of the country into account & the amount of people that actually get to travel roads like that, I think I can safely say you've gone where few men have traveled.

Pat

roadscholar

Yes, that loop is one of the routes along with some others I'm sending to Randy. PM me an email and I'll send it to you.

That is the concept, but I'm a relative noob in the Rockies and just scratching the surface, there's another world beyond this but you need something small and light and a lot of padding, and maybe oxygen. :)

The point is though there's tons of stuff a big bike will be comfortable on.

Yes, that loop is one of the routes along with some others I'm sending to Randy. PM me an email and I'll send it to you.

Done, thanks! :thumbsup:

Pat

there's another world beyond this but you need something small and light and a lot of padding, and maybe oxygen. :)

Hmm, maybe the CRF rather than a KLR after all...

roadscholar

Yes, tough choice. Haven't been up here yet but planning on it, er thinking about it. :) Borrowed these off a friend's smugmug site.

big-t knows a few high altitude trails too.

1009482983_LTGS2-L.jpg

1009510925_BKSc5-L.jpg

1009519932_8mPqE-L.jpg

Looking down on Hancock Pass.

1009518546_DdwTB-L.jpg

Wow, I kicked over a hornets nest! Looks like I'm going to have to choose between my Husky TE630 and the Yamaha WR250R. I was saving new knobbies for a long ride this summer, but it looks like they are going on early and will get changed out on the ride somewhere. Yep, this UN will include some dual-sport time, for sure.

What is the license plate situation up there? I can't see any way I'll have the CRF street legal again in time, I will have my truck to transport it if necessary to the staging point. Depending on whether Janet is going to kick our butts on her dirt bike maybe I'll bring a KLR and the CRF. (Looks like I may need the trailer...)

roadscholar

I'm guessing dirtbike is the same as 4-wheeler (OHV), they seem to be legal anywhere that's not paved and I think crossing highways is legal. Might check Colorado DMV regs. I know they have efficient law enforcement, one of them chased me down a long and winding dirt road to tell me I had a brake light out. :grin:

real men ( from the east ) trailer through Kansas! :)

Real men don't buy dual sports that don't have to be trailered.

223969070_FkCxS-L.jpg

Rev Ray, looking forward to seeing you again. Was it Torrey last? Whip is just being a pill; how am I going to ride two bikes to Salida?

Ken

Rev Ray, looking forward to seeing you again. Was it Torrey last? Whip is just being a pill; how am I going to ride two bikes to Salida?

Ken

Take the orange pill.

Trade em all in on a Katoom and you won't have to worry about it.

:grin:

lawnchairboy

front fender looks pretty there...

Later after Alpine tunnel:

smugshot3990781-XL.jpg

top of cottonwood pass where the pic of the S-10, the KLR and the DR was taken:

smugshot1771167-XL.jpg

I want to do that exact route from this day, on the DR, with some extra gas so I can add old monarch pass and make it a 5 pass day Bill.

smugshot2949325-L.jpg

Is it time to leave yet?

roadscholar

I want to do that exact route from this day, on the DR, with some extra gas so I can add old monarch pass and make it a 5 pass day Bill.

We can do that!

161-L.jpg

Chris, speed up just a little. :)

160-L.jpg

Noticing Dave's bash plate there, would the stocker on a GS be a risky proposition? Bill, thanks again for the routes! :thumbsup:

Pat

I did get some big hits (small loose baby heads), but on another road which we will refuse to go up, should be okay on these trails. I broke my fender I thought on hitting some very abrupt embedded square edge rocks (too many to avoid all). But on later inspection, the "Fender Extender" actually caught the top of the bash plate and broke the fender.

The Super Tenere forum has now advised cutting about 1-1/2" off of the fender extender. Problem solved.

I'm not familiar with most of the proposed routes (new is good!) as this will be just my second ride in the area. Well, the TAT goes thru Salida, but that doesn't count. Hancock, when I went up there several years ago, had a boulder field that had to be ridden over. No way around, just suck it up and bounce over. Much easier on a small bike! I presume that most of the trails and roads change with every winter and every major rain event. 'Keeps things interesting.

OK......so I swapped on a K60 Scout and TKC80 last week and rode about 150 miles of dirt and gravel this past weekend at the RCR in WV. Had an absolute blast. It took me a while to get used to riding this big pig in the dirt, but it wasn't long before I was cooking along almost as fast as I would have been of the trails were paved. Its not exactly one of my old dirt bikes, but i was really suprised how well it handled.

Sooooooo.......which of the mountain passes in the Salida area are big bike friendly? I'm dumb enough to try riding just about anything, but I would also like reasonable chance of riding it home to PA :grin:.

roadscholar
Had an absolute blast. It took me a while to get used to riding this big pig in the dirt, but it wasn't long before I was cooking along almost as fast as I would have been of the trails were paved. Its not exactly one of my old dirt bikes, but i was really suprised how well it handled.

Sooooooo.......which of the mountain passes in the Salida area are big bike friendly? I'm dumb enough to try riding just about anything, but I would also like reasonable chance of riding it home to PA :grin:.

Nice, glad you're putting the GS to good use.

And thanks for the reminder to get busy and finish up the DS routes. Just got back from out there recently so will post some new pics and areas for riding.

In the meantime though here are some doable ones on a big bike: Marshall Pass, Old Monarch Pass, Black Sage Pass, Waunita Pass, Cumberland Pass (although it has more exposed rocks than last year), Alpine Tunnel (same as Cumberland), Cottonwood Pass (east side paved), Aspen Ridge (somewhat rocky in spots), the Ute Trail, Phantom Canyon, Shelf Rd. (haven't ridden it). And some a little further away: Cochetopa Pass, Los Pinos, Carnero, Buzzard Divide, Owl Creek Pass, Last Dollar Rd., Divide Rd., and Kebler Pass.

How much time you got? :grin:

lawnchairboy

will be staying in Ridgway 17-21 July before the UN, lots on the list for that area....anybody around then shoot me a PM.

I will try and do last dollar, engineer, imogene etc. I don't think I have the cajones for black bear.

Skip Black Bear, most have to walk down it anyway, and the rest of the ride is nothing compared to Imogene (my farvorite).

I have plenty of time before the UN; it's just a matter of not breaking the bank on lodging. I've been thinking of riding up near Telluride to do Corkscrew, California and Cinnamon. I would be interested in what you have in mind. Are you camping, moteling it, or???

How much time you got? :grin:

Not enough, but I want to make the best of it. I'll be in the area Sunday or Monday, and will be heading back East on Friday.

Thank you for the leads. I will begin investigating.

Archived