IGNORED

R1150RT Top Case Options

roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt

My '04RT has a Givi mount but the prior owner appears to have kept the case. I don't have a lot of use for the case (helmet?) but I have read that a case can be a good passenger backrest. How well can a case function as a backrest? Should I get a Givi, or should I buy the parts and put a BMW case on? What about appearance differences? I haven't looked at this too hard and would really appreciate the views of those with experience.

My first 1150 had a BMW topcase, the second has a Kappa. The Kappa fits to the same mount as Givi (they are made in the same factory, Givi is high-range, Kappa low-range but fine for me).

The BMW case only just takes a full-face helmet with some juggling of position.

The Kappa 48 litre case I have takes two full-face helmets, has high-level brake lights and a back-pad. My wife says the pad is a bit firm, so I am going to make a softer pad to fit the same place.

Andy

installed the givi 46 on my RT. it's useful for additional storage. feel no change when riding with it, buffeting, etc.

store gear (frog toggs, jacket liner, thermos with coffee, gps when parked, etc) in it. seems easier and quicker than the side cases to access.

moved it between the RT and weestrom, when i had the weestrom.

roger 04 rt

Thanks Andy. I'll have a look at the Kappa too. This may be a dumb question but does the addition of the top case generally make the rear passenger feel more secure?

And thanks Bfish for the model recommendation.

Hi Roger -

The Givi E460 is a popular choice for the 1100/1150RTs. It has superior capacity and is substantially less expensive than the BMW topcase, though admittedly I prefer the looks of the BMW case.

For the passenger, both provide a "feel" of something back there which instills confidence for some. The BMW case with pad hits the pillion in the lower back while the Givi is located a few inches higher. For my wife, the Givi without the backrest is her most preferred set-up. She felt using optional Givi backrest had her sitting/leaning too far forward, particularly when coupled with her Rukka back protector insert for her riding gear.

As you already have the base, going with the Givi would seem to be a fine choice economically and ergonomically.

Edit - you can find a good price online and Revzilla will match it with free shipping. I bought my 2nd E460 last month...

Go GIVI, go big.

You don't see it when riding and more space is good with a passenger.

We've got the 52L w/backrest and luggage rack.

Saddle on GT a bit dif but backrest works fine w/my wife.

Go here for GIVI and other items

MotorcycleWriter

I like my BMW case. The mount is excellent, quality is superb, and it's keyed to the ignition. It's only money.

dirtdreamer50

http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-72-32440-Travel-Trunk/sim/B000GVD0VE/2

I have two of these Emgo travel trunks in the garage, left over from my dual sport riding days. Granted, they are square and not as cool looking as the Givi's, etc, but they hold a lot of stuff, and since I have two, one is going on my new-to-me, RT.

Anyone else use these? Turn the key, push a button and off it comes, as a carry/suitcase item, too.

roger 04 rt

Thanks everyone for the options and the fast response. I'm looking at photos and prices now. Since I have the Givi mount, I'm going to look at trying a Givi case and see how it looks and fits. Except that it's small the BMW case looks pretty good.

Roger

Roger,

again, can't have too much space when you have a passenger, IMO.

We can put both helmets, gloves, autocom stuff, and more back there when we stop and walk about.

Cable lock for jackets and we're good 2 go.

BrickFlyer
Anyone have a US supplier for the Kappa top case? Everything I found was UK. Thanks!

Here's a US Supplier of both Givi and Kappa. Just bought a Givi mounting plate for my 03 RT. Shipped pretty quickly. Tour and Ride

http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-72-32440-Travel-Trunk/sim/B000GVD0VE/2

I have two of these Emgo travel trunks in the garage, left over from my dual sport riding days. Granted, they are square and not as cool looking as the Givi's, etc, but they hold a lot of stuff, and since I have two, one is going on my new-to-me, RT.

Anyone else use these? Turn the key, push a button and off it comes, as a carry/suitcase item, too.

I have one of those on my CX. While the quality is not as good as my Givi, it's still very well built. It fits an XL full face helmet with room to spare, and the price can't be beat.

SteveHebert

I personally love the BMW case look and it holds enough for me. If not, I just attach the Uni-go and then we have way more space than needed :rofl:

My wife will not ride without a topcase. She was not happy with a backrest only.

I had a 52 liter Givi on my 1150GSA. It held a ton and had the running light/brake light option wich is a nice extra touch. I bought it from twisted throttle. I thought the quality was okay, not quite as heavy duty as the BMW case.

BrickFlyer

FWIW, here's what a Givi V46 Monokey topcase looks like on an 03 RT. I also have a GIVI Maxia 52, which also fits on the same rack but I think it looks too bulky.

To replace the OEM rack you need a Givi E191 rack. Takes maybe 15 minutes to swap the racks and then the case just snaps on.

IMG_0422%5B1%5D.JPG

roger 04 rt

Just want to say thanks again for the further input and the last photo. This is all very helpful. Other than mine's an '04, our bikes look identical.

FWIW, here's what a Givi V46 Monokey topcase looks like on an 03 RT. I also have a GIVI Maxia 52, which also fits on the same rack but I think it looks too bulky.

To replace the OEM rack you need a Givi E191 rack. Takes maybe 15 minutes to swap the racks and then the case just snaps on.

I'm using the same case on the same bike (except mine's older). I really like the Givi. It gets swapped out between my two bikes. It carries a lot more than the stock BMW case and by wife loves it as a backrest when two up. She says it makes her feel more secure knowing it's back there.

roger 04 rt

I've decided based on the amount of storage I'm looking for and styling, I'm going to try and find a BMW Top Case. I believe it's the 33L and fits 1100RTs and 1150RTs.

Anyone reading this thread have one in very good condition that they'd like to sell?

I found a used 1150 luggage rack part and have replaced the Givi mount. Since I won't have the case on much of the time, I already like the aesthetics.

I will be putting the Givi adapter into classifieds at a good price shortly.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and help on this.

And again, anyone want to sell a case? ;)

I think that's a good choice. I found a 33L BMW top-case for my '96 RT on eBay in good condition. The look on the bike is great, there's decent storage, and by golly, you get another BMW roundel to display!

roger 04 rt
I think that's a good choice. I found a 33L BMW top-case for my '96 RT on eBay in good condition. The look on the bike is great, there's decent storage, and by golly, you get another BMW roundel to display!

I found a beauty, or should I say it found me. Someone spotted my ad and I should have a very nice case in a week or so.

Here's a laugh: shipped by parcel post from CA to MA in a 27 x 21 x 19" box and the shipping cost is $27. Add 1" to any dimension and the shipping cost is $108!

Archived