IGNORED

Mounting BMW R1200GS spooked tubless tires with Nomar

CoarsegoldKid

CoarsegoldKid

Heck and I have installed a couple of tires on his GS in the past but every time we have trouble as the 19" wheel rotates on the blocks. The very last point of the locking block is very small and it doesn't seem to be enough. Anyway what are you guys doing for this wheel/changer combination.

I put a tie down strap through the spokes & around one of mounting arms. Snug it up, problem solved.

I could be completely wrong, but I'm not sure I would want to do that on a wire spoked wheel. It works great with an alloy wheel, but I would be afraid of putting a side load on the wire spokes and potentially bending them. Is that a valid concern, or are they sturdy enough to stand up to the task?

I put a tie down strap through the spokes & around one of mounting arms. Snug it up, problem solved.

I could be completely wrong, but I'm not sure I would want to do that on a wire spoked wheel. It works great with an alloy wheel, but I would be afraid of putting a side load on the wire spokes and potentially bending them. Is that a valid concern, or are they sturdy enough to stand up to the task?

Keith, I'd say that if the spokes are loose enough to bend under a slight side load, then you've already got other issues. Never been a problem in all the years I've done tire changes on spoked (spooked? :grin:) rims.

Are you saying your r1200GS frightened the tubes right out of the tires?

BMW boxer GS wire wheels have been tubeless since the R100GS of 1987.

Not the singles, however.

CoarsegoldKid

Next time we'll use the tie down and underlayment method. We did use cut up T-shirt pieces but it wasn't the best. I have some drawer foam rubber I'll use.

However there may not be a next time as Heck discovered a tire purchase and mounting source near his house that will meet the online prices and mount & balance for a fraction of what the dealer charges.

Of course they'll be a next time- gotta have an excuse to stop by more than once a year :clap:

Next time mebbe I'll bring some Heidenau's to really give that NoMar a workout!!!

All kidding aside- I really appreciate the hospitality. Gotta tell you all- Joe and Juanita make one of the best Roast Beef sandwiches on the planet. Bar None. :thumbsup:

Of course they'll be a next time- gotta have an excuse to stop by more than once a year :clap:

Next time mebbe I'll bring some Heidenau's to really give that NoMar a workout!!!

All kidding aside- I really appreciate the hospitality. Gotta tell you all- Joe and Juanita make one of the best Roast Beef sandwiches on the planet. Bar None. :thumbsup:

I just did my first Heidenau K60 last week. I had read they were tough, but I did it by myself and without having my Harbor Freight bolted down. I was expecting it to be worse from what I had read. It doesn't hold a candle to the beefy Dunlops my Dad runs on his Goldwing. Those things have a sidewall from hell.

Archived