IGNORED

stopping text message spam

elkroeger

Anyone know how to stop the daily text message spams on my cell phone?

Every time I get one, I register a complaint at the FTC's do not call list (they told me text messages are covered). I've started replying to the spam with this: "Stop texting me. A complaint has been filed with the FTC". Nothing seems to have any effect.

The next step is to completely block all text messages down at the phone company. Any other ideas?

PhilipJCaputo

who is your carrier? I would call and raise a crap storm...

It is a long winded solution, but you can put your number onto google voice. From there, you can have google filter out the spam text messages.

I don't think there is a really easy solution

moshe_levy

I had the same crap happen to me. I'm not sure how it started but I don't give my number to the stores when shopping anymore. They always ask for your cell or e-mail and next thing you know, an avalanche of marketing bullshit. Call the phone carrier company and complain. And at the stores tell them you use your cell for business only, and same for e-mail. Then they leave you alone.

-MKL

I don't know how ya'll can be so negative. Didn't you just win a $1k gift card to Best Buy?

Oh, and now I'm getting recorded voice messages asking me to take a survey.

------

I don't know how ya'll can be so negative. Didn't you just win a $1k gift card to Best Buy?

Oh, and now I'm getting recorded voice messages asking me to take a survey.

------

I did! 3 times!

Last year, a local car dealer (West Covina Nissan, 205 N Citrus St, West Covina, CA 91791, (626) 732-1000) started sending me two or three unsolicited texts per day. I called and asked to speak with the general manager. I demanded to know how they got my mobile number and who authorized them to use my limited supply of text messages. I doubt I was actually connected to the GM - more likely the kid who washes the cars on the lot. He was rude and inarticulate and told me it was not their problem. Rather, I should be calling an advertising company that they use.

I told the GM I had filed complaints with the FTC for every text I had received and would continue doing so. I also told the manager I would slam their dealership on Yelp, which I did. FWIW, the texts have stopped.

First step is to disable the email-to-SMS gateway for your account (so spammers cannot send text messages to you via email at @attwireless.com (or whatever your carrier is), and/or whitelist anyone you do wish to be able to text you via email. You can usually do this via the web without even having to call customer service. That won't stop all of it but it will stop a lot of it.

AdventurePoser
I don't know how ya'll can be so negative.

Last year, a local car dealer (West Covina Nissan, 205 N Citrus St, West Covina, CA 91791, (626) 732-1000) started sending me two or three unsolicited texts per day. I called and asked to speak with the general manager. I demanded to know how they got my mobile number and who authorized them to use my limited supply of text messages. I doubt I was actually connected to the GM - more likely the kid who washes the cars on the lot. He was rude and inarticulate and told me it was not their problem. Rather, I should be calling an advertising company that they use.

I told the GM I had filed complaints with the FTC for every text I had received and would continue doing so. I also told the manager I would slam their dealership on Yelp, which I did. FWIW, the texts have stopped.

Small world....got the exact same thing from the same dealer! I received the same rude answers from everyone I spoke with the GM as well and told him I could be pretty vociferous if necessary... Texts stopped.

Cheers,

Steve

Do you have (or anyone) a clue how to do this for a T-Mobile account?

I did not take the text plan part opting for paying it one by one as I never use texting. And every month I have 12-20 text message spams coming in. I'd love to be able to stop them.

I read somewhere I could copy them to T-Mobile to let them know, but my phone has no way to copy or forward a text message.

Archived