IGNORED

BMW Radio

Roy in SC

Only the right speaker works when using the radio on my 2006 R1200RT. This is the factory radio / CD player. I have tried the CD, AM, and FM channels, adjusted the balance and all other controls, but only one speaker works. The speaker in question has been replaced, as well as switched with the other speaker. The radio is the problem. Does anyone know who can troubleshoot these? I will also entertain thoughts on replacing the unit with something more current. Thanks

Afternoon Roy

Your problem could be in the radio itself or could be in a terminal connection at the radio or at the speaker, or a broken wire. I have seen where the terminal itself has been crimped over the wire insulation therefore not making contact with the inner wire.

I guess to start the trouble shooting start by making sure the terminals are not distorted at the radio connection or the speaker connection & are making positive contact.

If the terminals are OK then disconnect both ends & use an ohmmeter on the wires themselves to verify continuity of both wires.

The wires your are working with are the yellow/brown & yellow/red.

If the wires & terminals look & test out OK then your problem is probably in the radio itself.

DR Thanks for the feedback. I have already verified continuity on the leads and checked the connections. The radio is out now, leaving me with a usable glove box. I really do not see myself using the radio that often, but would rather have it in place just in case. In theory any radio repair shop should be able to test the radio, but does anyone know a company that works on these? Thanks

I really don't know of anyone that services radios, TV'etc.. anymore... More than likely the final output transistors went if your missing one channel (or possibly the pre-amp) Labor costs to troubleshoot as well as parts procurement has made it economically unfeasible to fix these things anymore...

I know a guy on a NEW HD trike that has had 6 Harmon-Kardon radios replaced (under Warranty).. I'm sure HK just throws em' out! (He's active on ZumoForums)

...In theory any radio repair shop should be able to test the radio, but does anyone know a company that works on these? Thanks

As far as I know, the radio in your '06 RT is the same radio as was installed in 3-series BMW cars at that time. Why not ask a BMW car dealer how and where they get those radios serviced?

Guest Kakugo

I had the same issue on my Honda (car). The only thing that sorted it was fitting a new radio: I suspect one of the speaker channels was bust but since I had a free radio to fit I didn't bother checking.

As for fitting a different radio, no idea... if I remember correctly the OE unit is made by Alpine and is the same as fitted to older 3-series cars. There are a few places you can send over your radio to be tested so it may be the best course of action. They will tell you if it's worth fixing or not.

DR Thanks for the feedback. I have already verified continuity on the leads and checked the connections. The radio is out now, leaving me with a usable glove box. I really do not see myself using the radio that often, but would rather have it in place just in case. In theory any radio repair shop should be able to test the radio, but does anyone know a company that works on these?

Afternoon Roy

Did you unplug the wires from the radio & speaker then test for continuity to ground? Possibly a pinched wire that is going to ground. That wouldn't show on a simple end to end wire continuity check.

Probably not worth sending the radio out for repair unless you just can't live without a radio.

If the wire & terminal continuity has been checked out & is OK, & the speaker wires are connected to the correct connector locations at the radio itself then that says internal to radio.

Personally I would try to remove the radio covering then probe around inside with an ohmmeter. You have a functioning side to compare to so maybe something simple like a bad solder joint, a wire pulled loose, or crack in the printed circuit.

DR - All

Thanks for the suggestions. I have checked continuity for both of the speakers and found good connectivity. I also switched the speakers and only one side works, which leads me back to the radio. I will check the BMW dealerships out of curiosity, but will probably just live without it. I like having the storage there anyway. I took the radio out the R1100RT as well.

--- I have checked continuity for both of the speakers and found good connectivity. ----

Afternoon Roy

Did you check for the possibility of continuity of the bad side speaker wires to ground? They can test good for connectivity but still have a short to ground.

Just get a new unit.

I put an aftermarket AM/FM/CD/MP3 in mine for $100 (good sale, 50% off) Got the same to replace the OEM unit in my truck. Easier than diagnosing and rectifying, if possible, the issue. Cheaper too, I reckon.

Like ink-jet printers, they are a disposable item now.

Even if it's a bad solder joint and you can fix it, it probably broke from heat, age, vibration, etc and you'll probably soon have other solder breaks someplace else and won't be worth the future aggravation. If it's internal to the radio, I agree, chuck the thing and get a new replacement for $100.

Archived