IGNORED

concerned about HES

RAMBLIN RED

RAMBLIN RED

Hello again,

My '96 r11rt now has 72k and I keep wondering if the hes is gonna bite me. Rode today through 4 of Beryl's rain bands, two of which were gully washers with no problems beyond leaky rain pants. I hope to ride this season without messing with the thing and look into it when I replace the alt belt in cool weather, and I realize its failure is more of a coin toss. That said,my question is how can I tell if the hes has been changed in the past? Can I tell by flexing the wires and looking for cracks? Are there markings on the wires that indicate heat resistance? Thanks in advance for your help.

Red

Wires are the same color and look the same.

The only way to test it is to remove the unit and wiring, then examine the wire covering. And, if it is deteriorated/ing, THAT will definitely hasten its demise!

So, if you aim on examining/replacing and you use your bike regularly, borrow a refurb unit/refurb an old unit as a back-up or simply buy a new one.

oldironhead

What I found on my 96 r11rt (with only 27k on it) was that all the exposed wires looked just fine. The wire under the shield was what was really bad. The insulation turned to powder at the slightest touch. I'm surprised that thing didn't strand me somewhere.

IMHO, after what I saw, any unit that has spent time in use is suspect. The only way to be sure that puppy is fixed right is to dissect it and replace the wire with aircraft grade teflon wire.

What I found on my 76 r11rt (with only 27k on it) was that all the exposed wires looked just fine. The wire under the shield was what was really bad. The insulation turned to powder at the slightest touch.

Yes, that's the catch. The only check that is meaningful is to remove the HES, remove the clamp to the HES plate, and cut open the shrink tubing. The rest of the harness can (and probably will) look perfect but this area may well have no insulation left. And even if it looks OK, once you've gone that far you've done 75% of the work to replace the wiring so you might as well go ahead and do it and thus not ever have to think about it again.

Hello again,

My '96 r11rt now has 72k and I keep wondering if the hes is gonna bite me. Red

No need to wonder. It's gonna bite you. You need to chnage it.

RAMBLIN RED

Thanks

I didn't realize the wires in the shrink tubing would be suspect.I know I have to do it since I have no work history on the bike.

RAMBLIN RED

Does anyone know the wire gauge on the sensor? It seems to me that replacing the damaged wire would make the most sense

Red

Archived