IGNORED

electric test for you experts

randy

Ok according to my electrical guide to the RT

Gray/black powers front parking bulb and rear tail light

Gray/yellow powers brake light.

I have no power to my Gray/black wire (so no running light in rear or parking light in front)

However my brake light is always on???

So any idea how my wires got switched??? Maybe a bad relay, that both wires feed off? is that a possibility??

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Well, on the new RT's, not sure about yours, if the running light faults the brake light will light up at partial intensity to compensate. So I don't believe that you have crossed wires. You do have a problem with your running light power wire. The first thing to do is to check fuses.

It almost sounds like a bad ground.

1. Start pulling fuses until the brake light goes out.

2. Replace the rest of the fuses one at a time checking the brake light if it is dim or bright then it's a ground.

3. check running lights from neg of batt to hot lead. If there is power, then ground the neg with a wire to the neg on batt.

4. Check the rest of the light if the're working then you have a bad ground.

5. If none of this works then you don't have a ground issue.

6. Let us know how you make out.

Ps. If you send me a schematic I'll thak a look at it for you.

Ok according to my electrical guide to the RT

Gray/black powers front parking bulb and rear tail light

Gray/yellow powers brake light.

I have no power to my Gray/black wire (so no running light in rear or parking light in front)

However my brake light is always on???

Randy,

Check that both of your brake switches (front lever and rear pedal) are both working. They should emit a quiet 'click' when they are moved slightly.

Also, you may have a bad fuse in position #2. Fuse #1 is for your brake lights and #2 is for the running (parking) lights.

Let us know what you find.

Mick

Because of the circuit to use the brake light bulb as a ‘surrogate’ tail light when the tail light bulb is out, you can’t necessarily check for voltage at the tail light socket without a bulb in it. The monitor circuit presumes the bulb is burnt out and routes to the brake light. When checking make sure you have a good bulb in place.

Check that both of your brake switches (front lever and rear pedal) are both working. They should emit a quiet 'click' when they are moved slightly.

While that is true, I had the same problem with the brake lights...but not the other problem. Heard the click in both front and back brake switches or so I thought.

Finally took the RH footpeg plate of to manually inspect the switch and that was the culprit...On my bike at least, there are just too many things making noise down there to accurately hear the switch click....Was able to fix it with the special BMW brake light switch repair kit (aka...a bit of duct tape) Works great.

Thought I'd add my $.02 just in case...good luck with the repair!!

sorry should have noted up front 1996 R1100RT. I pulled the right foot peg mounting plate off, and the switch seems to be functioning. However if it is reasonable priced, I may just replace it, as it is so easy to do. I checked all the fuses they all looked good.

however I did not pull fuses while the bike was turned on, that is a good suggestion so I will try that.

I checked the break light and running light bulb is good. when I move the brake light gray/yellow wire to the running light bulb the running light bulb lights right up. So for now I have noted the following

The rear running light, and brake light bulbs are good. I installed a new bulb in the parking light socket, so I know it is good.

Same issue exists, no power to parking light (i.e the gray/black wire), the brake light gray/yellow is still hot all the time.

And yes, I hate tracking down electrical issues. i am not very good at understanding the wiring diagrham to trace a problem to all the possible sources.

but I try hard.

• 3 weeks later...

as always it is nice to have an electrical expert on call. Having bribed Chris K with center court BOX seats for the Hawks vrs Raptor game at Philips Arena, Chris came by Sunday morning.

So first problem, was no tail light

Answer, Fuse was not "SET" basically it was not pushed all the way in. I had removed it a number of times, but I guess I just never realized how to insert the damn thing. Chris K, pulls the fuse, pushes it back in, and tail light works. confused.gif

Second problem, the brake light was always on.

Well it uses a switch/trigger of some sort, up in the right handle bar electronic thingy. So Chris K followed it back to the connnector into the harness and checked it. seems the trigger is bad, and defaulted to the always on position. So basically the switch thinks I have the break lever pulled in.

Finally my Moto lights were not working. Seems in my haste to NOT install the tail light fuse correctly, I also removed the auxillary fuse. Seems the auxillary fuse is also known as the RADIO fuse. yes I had removed the fuse, not realizing that auxillary did NOT mean extra. dopeslap.gif

So now I have running lights, brake lights and Moto lights. I am all smiles smile.gif)))) clap.gif

Archived