IGNORED

Another Darwin award recipient?

philbytx

Mister Tee

You wouldn't fare well riding in Southeast Asia. A million motorbikes on the road, and over half of them are texting while riding.

Antimatter

I haven't seen folks texting while in motion, but I have seen it done while stopped at a traffic signal. Smaller displacement scooters (less than 50cc) can park on the sidewalks in downtown, so they have become popular for riders that in the area where I work. The other day, I saw a fellow pull up to a traffic light (no safety gear of any kind) and whip out his phone to send someone a text message. I wanted to warn him that keeping his eyes on his rear view mirror would be a good idea, but I figured he wouldn't take the word of some old, fat guy he didn't know from Adam (I wouldn't have at his age either). Pity. I hope he'll learn before its too late, or he gets hurt and then becomes a loud-mouthed advocate about the 'danger' of motorcycles.

To the "uninitiated" (and even to some initiates!), biker has nastier connotations and thusly image, than does the word motorcyclist ;) .

Ever heard anyone describe a two-wheeled LEO as a "Police biker" :grin: !

To the "uninitiated" (and even to some initiates!), biker has nastier connotations and thusly image, than does the word motorcyclist ;) .

Just the way it is in Oz-speak! :grin: No, I've never heard a police officer on a bike called anything as polite as "biker" in Australia! :D

szurszewski

Oddly, here in Portland, biker = bicyclist. It took me a bit to figure that out, and it still conjures strange mental images in my head.

Just curious, but what is the difference?

A motorcyclist raises a pinky while sipping his tea with a serviette tucked in his ascot.

A biker lets the beer suds slide down his mustache onto his t-shirt.

Neither is allowed to park at the country club. :rofl:

While this guy is an obvious fool who was very lucky to not receive the injuries he seemingly so richly deserved, this little fracas has been peeving me for a few days.

I see morons in cars doing this every day without fail; their potential to maim is in relative terms off the scale and yet I see no media hype about it, nor do the police actively hunt them down after the fact as they have with our subject.

It is patently idiotic to text while supposedly controlling any vehicle, but why is that when one of the fools migrates to two wheels that it's suddenly crime of the damned century? Bloody annoyed I tells ya!

Paul Mihalka

Simple innit, on a bike he can't steer with his knees :rofl:

Yes he can. just ask Reg Pridmore.

Afternoon Phil

You don't need to use your knees to steer a bike. All you need to do is move your weight around a bit.

From what I have seen riding down the freeway it seems to work out great as that leaves your upper legs free to rest the cell phone on while texting.

Lone_RT_rider

Just the way it is in Oz-speak! :grin: No, I've never heard a police officer on a bike called anything as polite as "biker" in Australia! :D

I thought they hated the speed cameras more than the cops? I was told to be careful in the Tunnels in Melbourne. One tunnel=3 cameras. I had heard that the locals can loose their license just by exceeding the speed limit by 15 Kph in a Tunnel. I couldn't live there.... my license would be soooooo gooooooone!

Shawn

I thought they hated the speed cameras more than the cops? I was told to be careful in the Tunnels in Melbourne. One tunnel=3 cameras. I had heard that the locals can loose their license just by exceeding the speed limit by 15 Kph in a Tunnel. I couldn't live there.... my license would be soooooo gooooooone!

Shawn

Yes, we probably do; but Australians have a reputation for giving colourful nicknames to wallopers ... blue heelers ... soggies ... hut-huts ... Mermaids ... errr, police.

We use a demerit points system. You start with a clean licence; "win" 12 demerit points within 3 years and your licence is suspended for 3 months.

The points can vary anywhere from one to six points depending on the type of offence, except during long weekends and holiday seasons when the allocated demerit points for the offence will be double. So exceeding the speed limit by 10 and less than 30 km/h will lose you three points; except when it's double demerits when it's six points. So get picked up by two cameras and kiss your licence goodbye.

Exceed it by 45 km/h and it's immediate cancellation of licence and car is impounded (forget how long first up -- 14 days I think -- and you pay towing and storage charges as well). Do that a few times and your car (or bike) can be seized and crushed. :(

Lone_RT_rider
Exceed it by 45 km/h and it's immediate cancellation of licence and car is impounded (forget how long first up -- 14 days I think -- and you pay towing and storage charges as well). Do that a few times and your car (or bike) can be seized and crushed. :(

Ummmmm US citizens, remember this the next time we call our wonderful nation a "nanny state". Crushed? EGADS!

Archived