IGNORED

Anyone reckognize this bike?

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

I owned this bike in 1987 but can remember very little about it including it's model...

48641427-L.jpg

Here is what I do remember about it.

Make: Yamaha

Engine size: 550 cc

Valves: 4 valves/cylinder

Redline: 14,000 RPM (not a typo)

Cooling: Liquid coolant

Fuel distribution: Carburators

Trans: 5 speed

Shaft drive

I remember this thing being incredibly slow but really peaky on the revs. It didn't even start to get any pull until around 8,000 rpm. I have seen larger displacement versions in the US. The Yamaha vision comes to mind. But, I have never seen another bike exactly like it since I sold it in 1987.

Anyone know what the heck it is? No, I don't know the answer.

Shawn

skinny_tom (aka boney)

That's a Vision 550. Yep, you got the specifics- it was a real dog down low in the revs, you had to downshift to do anything.

I picked up a 1985 Vision 550 (without the nose cone) for $250 in 1990. It hadn't been ridden since 1985 when the owner fell over at a stop light and never got on it again. It had 530 miles on it. I put a battery, new oil and gas, and tires on it and rode the hell out of it for 7,000 miles (without a lick of maintinence) and finally sold it to a guy I worked with for $600. He promptly wrecked it. bncry.gif

Every once in a while I see one around SF. It's a candy-apple red one.

Yamaha Vision-

The SV of the early 80's without the big sales numbers.

Voted the favorite 'cult' bike by AMA members a few ago in one of their surveys.

Great bikes that didn't sell well due to pricing and the serious glut of motorcycles on the market in the early 80's. Yamaha only imported them into the US for the 1982 and 1983 model years. They were available through the late 80's in Europe and other countries in both 400cc and 550 cc versions. I have owned 2 of them and loved them both, one of each year.

THe 1983 models were all black with gold accents and had a frame mounted sport touring fairing. This fairing did a great job of air management and had a very effenctive venting system that put cool air on your legs for the hot days and warm engine heat for the cool ones. They offered a sporty, but comfortable riding position with rearset pegs and lower bars than the 82 version. A plush, roomy saddle that is comfortable for a full tank of gas (175-200 miles). An excellent comuter or sport tourer as I logged over 30,000 miles on them traveling through several states.

The sweet revving engine water cooled V-twin is the heart and soul of these machines. It is a twin cam/4 valver with header pipes for each exhaust valve that made casual observers think it was a four cylinder. Loves to rev and will run all day at 7,000 rpm (70-80mph)without complaint and very little vibration as the engine runs counterbalabcers. The 83's ran larger carbs and a different airbox to address a flat spot in the power band that had the 82's hiccuping. The factory offered the 82 owners the airbox upgrade under warranty that helped, but no carbs to completely cure it.

Handling was nimble with quick steering and turn in that was a result of a trailing axle front fork. A set of progressive fork springs and a fork brace sorted out the spindly legged front end. The rear had an adjustable preload mono shock in 82 with the 83's getting adjustable dampening added plus air forks up front.

The first year models were naked bikes although Yamaha offered 2 different fairings as dealer installed options. One a fork mount (as in the photo) and the other the excellent frame mounted one that was standard on the 83 models. A bike very similar to the BMW RS models in concept on a smaller scale.

More inforamtion can be seen at www.xz550.com

There is also a good online forum devoted to the Vision for anyone interested.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Vision - I'm jealous. The 83 model was a very cool bike - it was always on my list (I still dream of finding a low mile "hid in a barn" bike like that). I think the 83 also got a second disk up front? As a side note, the 83 750 Seca also had fairing stuff added. Mommie Yammie had some very cool bikes - the Vision, the Seca family, 550, 650, 650 turbo, 750, and 900. Last but not least, the XV920, with the enclosed chain drive, and big headlight. I had a 650 and 900.

all the best,

Mike

The Vision was a great bike. I raced one in 1982/83 it won every 550 box stock race in the country. At the 24 hour Nelson Ledges endurance race it game in over all third(The Good Times Team). Amazing track bike for it's time. Maybe way ahead of it's time.

Larry

Lone_RT_rider

Thanks to everyone that has replied so far. I look back at that bike now, and realize that it was really ahead of its time. Of course then, I thought it was a really weak bike. At that point in my life I was into drag racing and lived on the west coast of Florida. Riding through corners was something that never really crossed my mind as "fun" back then. This is a pic of the bike I had prior to the vision.

48638521-M.jpg

I also had a pretty hot car at the same time.

48643436-L.jpg

I really have the R1100RT to thank for opening up the cornering aspect of riding to me. This is another one of those classic cases of "if I would have known then what I know now". That vision would have been a complete hoot with my current skill level. grin.gif

Shawn

I had I guess an '82 (too long ago for me to remember exactly.).

Red, naked.

Great commuter bike. At that time my daily commute was 94 miles round trip with lane splitting for about 30 miles.

Bike did love to be revved.

My model year had only a single disc brake up front, and my most vivid recall of this bike is missing a turn on this bike due to it's inability to quickly slow. Rear tire in the air, front on the edge of lockup, it kept going and going....

Another highpoint of this bike was being punted off the bike while lane spitting.

The 82 models were available in three colors-basic black, silver, and a nice candy red. 83 was black w/gold trim, as I mentioned in my first post.

Dual discs up front in 83 as well, drum rear both years.

83's also got a fuel guage and a 140mph speedo, 82 was still subject to the 85mph version that most bikes had then.

No, 14,000rpm redline was not reality. If I remember correctly it was closer to the 9,000-10,000 range. Chain driven cams w/shim adjustment.

I also owned an 83 Seca 750 that Eaglemike mentioned, another neat machine. It was another great sport-tourer with standard hard bags and a nice fairing. Yamaha did some really unique rides back them!

I also owned an 83 Seca 750 that Eaglemike mentioned, another neat machine. It was another great sport-tourer with standard hard bags and a nice fairing. Yamaha did some really unique rides back them!

Mine was black with red markings...I can still hear that whine/whistling sound the straight gears made when you rode by.

Larry

Archived