IGNORED

4G Wireless Hotspot Faster than Comcast!?!?

Mike

I'm a little surprised. I just bought a MiFi mobile hotspot from Verizon a couple of weeks ago. I thought I'd test it against my Comcast connection and was surprised to find that it's notably faster. Pretty unusual. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

What sort of wireless router are you using to connect to Comcast? That may be your bandwidth bottleneck...

What sort of wireless router are you using to connect to Comcast? That may be your bandwidth bottleneck...

It's an Apple Airport Extreme. My Comcast is not particularly slow--it ranges from just below 10 Mbps up to 22 Mbps (download). It's just surprising to me that the MiFi is generally in the same ballpark to just a little faster when I've tested them back to back. The maximum upload speed of the MiFi can exceed 10 Mbps, which is faster than I ever see through my Comcast account.

I'm just surprised that the MiFi is as fast as it is; generally it's comparable to or faster than the Comcast connection (admittedly through a WiFi router).

It's because the MiFi is not limited by the copper ;) Now, if you were running fiber, I'd be a bit concerned, but if you are on cable or DSL, the copper is the limitation on the speed.

15-25 mb/sec is pretty normal for Comcast basic internet, with occasional dips because of local traffic. I was just in New Castle, DE, where Verizon has just finished pulling a bunch of fiber, and is offering Internet/Phone/TV for under $100 a month. Verizon FiOS ins't available in the Atlanta market, damn it. I would so like to ditch Comcast. Couple months ago, my phone modem (for VoIP) died. After 30 minutes arguing with tech support via chat, he finally acknowledge there was nothing they could do from their end, and agreed to send out a tech. When the tech arrived, he confirmed that the old phone modem was dead, and he hadn't brought a replacement with him. :dopeslap:

I guess I can quit borching about my internet speed. I just looked and I'm getting 54Mbps from the local phone company. For being out in the sticks I have fiberoptics to the house! I guess I'm lucky.

I was reading about speeds like that on the new 4G networks, but I haven't seen it first hand yet. I'm usually hovering between 20-24mbs on my Comcast cable setup. I hate having to pay them for internet service, but they are the only game in town where I am. I would love to cut the cord completely if possible.

What kind of data limit are you set at with the MiFi? That would be my only concern.

Archived