IGNORED

SO CAL SHORT NOTICE RIDE???

mrduck

Gotta long weekend,a new back tire, the weather's gonna be mild, so where we goin'?

Either Sunday or Monday works for me.....

Don J :wave:

I'd go if it's on Sunday. Monday I'm with fambly.

At work right now, I'll check in later with a possible ride.

I have to adjust, or check my valves.

And do 100 other things.

I wanted to go to Ensenada and ride 3 south to the cross over road to 1. With the pre runners of the Baja 500, which is next weekend.

But that might be a little crazy out there, and too many other things to do.

dc

Don,

Heading to SF tomorrow for son's 30th birthday and ride of No.CA next week. Frank has a new RT he may be game.

Hakan

Found out Sunday's out for me :(

So,Hows this....

Monday head up to Sherman pass/Kennedy meadows from 395

then

Down by the Kern River for lunch in Kernville.

Bodfish/Calentie road back to Tehachapi

with

a special place to stop for a look in Walker Basin

(hint-bring your flashlight!) :thumbsup:

and

If ya think you have the time while we're up there, a side trip to the Giant Redwoods in Sequoia Forest is do-able also

We'll meet at the Starbucks in Lancaster around 8:00 am or so

or

the gas stop in Pearsonville around 9:00 for those coming up on 395

Don J :lurk:

Hmmm...

That looks pretty good.

I may just have to pre-ride that route for ya. You know... So I can let you know the road conditions and all... :grin:

I just saw this. I can't believe this was up for a day. I will be getting back from a short Saturday/Sunday ride. I will see Sunday night if I can make it. I like last minute rides. Don't count me out yet. I know your just dying to see my new bike with a 280 mile range before a gas fill up.

Be careful on Sherman Pass. The patch material they are using looks just like loose gravel. Worse, the loose gravel looks just like patched road. Combine that with sunlight flashing through the trees and the road can be treacherous.

So I started out this morning to follow mrduck's route. I wanted to try out the GoPro I won by clicking one of those "like us on Face Book and win a..." But I decided to do it backwards so I went to Tehachapi first and then up Caliente/Bodfish. Went the long way around Caliente Creek (I think that's the name o the road), and saw lots of this:

RoadBovines.png

I took it real easy through there and had no close bovine calls...

Further up above Walker Basin the road has been recently repaved for a few miles. No line, but pretty decent surface with just a bit of gravel here and there. Not bad except the gravel is black like the new surface so eyes open.

I got as far as Isabella and puttered around there for a while before decideing to head back home and start the potato salad I promised my Sister, so no Sherman Pass.

Chilly in Tehachapi in the am (50s), but really nice in Isabella.

:wave:

Groanie

Your video is not working. The beef and your bike is going nowhere. You won a GoPro?

dc

Caliente Creek road. Yes, I like that road. That is where I met John Havilah last year and got a free gallon of gas.

David,

The video is working... When it wants to... If I had paid for the GoPro, I would have returned it by now.

To be fair, this is the GoPro Wide Angle (the cheapest one) and not the Hero.

But I'm still working on it. I'll figure it out...

Or shoot it... :grin:

edit: The above shot is a still from the 15 minutes or so I did get ti to work...

Thanks to Groanup for sweeping all the bull$hit from the roads :thumbsup:

I'll see whoever shows up at Starbucks in the morning around 8am

In by 5....a little over 320 miles! Had to tiptoe down Sherman Pass, lunch and foo-foo coffee in Kernville. Headed out to Walker Basin, stopped at the Amilie silver mine for some tunnel exploring, hope Longjohn will post some pics. 5 of us went, had a close one with Mr CHP on Willow Springs road after passing a gaggle of pirate riders.....no where for him to turn around, you guys missed a good one :clap:

In by 5....a little over 320 miles! Had to tiptoe down Sherman Pass, lunch and foo-foo coffee in Kernville. Headed out to Walker Basin, stopped at the Amilie silver mine for some tunnel exploring, hope Longjohn will post some pics. 5 of us went, had a close one with Mr CHP on Willow Springs road after passing a gaggle of pirate riders.....no where for him to turn around,

you guys missed a good one :clap:

Rub it in... :P

Glad it was a good one, and that you didn't get an award!

Holy cr@p! What a ride! Thanks to Mrduck for setting this up. Lots of magnificent roads that I hadn't been on before, and a couple of great riders that I hadn't met before. I'll have to remember to charge the flashlight batteries next time. While we were in the mine these lyrics kept running through my mind: And at the bottom of this mine lies one HELLUVA Man.....

There may be another Weekday SoCal Mountain Ride coming up on the Fri before Father's Day. This time we will make it to Big Bear. Jose and John and......anyone else? Probable starting point ACH Shell.

Hey Don is that road coming down off the mountain always that sandy?

Yeah some pics to come.

CoarsegoldKid

There may be another Weekday SoCal Mountain Ride coming up on the Fri before Father's Day.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to check the calendar.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some pics. The first ones are at Fish Creek at the top of Nine Mile Cyn.

144137146.jpg

144137134.jpg

144137130.jpg

These next ones are from Sherman Pass, about 7k ft.

144137110.jpg

144137107.jpg

144137103.jpg

144137102.jpg

And these are from the silver mine which we explored.

144137099.jpg

144137097.jpg

144137096.jpg

144137092.jpg

And these are from Angeles Forest Hiway, or Angeles Crest Hiway on the way home

144137090.jpg

144137089.jpg

144137086.jpg

144137085.jpg

144137084.jpg

Archived