IGNORED

GIVI Monokey mount

CVA-42

I had a GIVI monokey topcase mount (No. E191) on my 1150RT. I removed it and re-installed the stock luggage rack when I sold the bike. Now I want to mount my GIVI monokey topcase on my 1200RT. The GIVI mounting plate and attaching hardware kit for this installation is No. E193 and sells for $88.00 including shipping from several sources. The mounting plates in both the E191 and E193 kits are virtually the same (maybe even exactly the same). Only the attaching hardware is different. I'm wondering if anyone has ever come up with a way to mount the E191 plate on a 1200RT without drilling any holes. I still have all of the original E191 hardware. Thanks...

John - - The foam pad wouldn't be a problem but there are other differences. The four bolts that hold the main mounting plate would have to be longer and there are some spacers involved but that wouldn't be a problem. The main workaround would be to come up with the four plates that are fitted underneath the stock rack on the bike and to which the mounting plate apparently bolts.

Richard

CVA-42, I think you'd need to get the two mounting kits, or maybe the two different bikes, together to see what the differences are - if any. I'd be real surprised if the BMW racks are identical, and since GIVI lists two different kits, there must be some differences.

I installed the GIVI plate on my '11 R-RT and found it to be a fussy and fiddly job. Not rocket science, mind, just tricky getting the plates, spacers, mount, screws, etc. all lined up and in place. Spent some time chasing falling parts around the garage. The results were worth it, of course, and the matte black and silver V46 looks great on the Thunder Gray RT.

pete

John Bentall
John - - The foam pad wouldn't be a problem but there are other differences. The four bolts that hold the main mounting plate would have to be longer and there are some spacers involved but that wouldn't be a problem. The main workaround would be to come up with the four plates that are fitted underneath the stock rack on the bike and to which the mounting plate apparently bolts.

Richard

You're absolutely correct - I misread the drawing as it was quite early in the morning when I responded :dopeslap:

Can you not put the old mounting kit for sale on this forum or Fleabay or the BMW club website to recover some of the purchase cost of the kit. Look on the bright side - you don't have to spend $800 on a BMW trunk.

Pete - - The topcase mounting plates themselves are the same. The mounting pieces are very different.

John - - Yeah, I'll just try to give someone a bargain on the 1150 kit rather than try to jury-rig it to the 1200. I would not be at all happy to have the topcase come flying off the bike at 75 mph or so...

Richard

Archived