IGNORED

I've got a bad feeling about this....

Pat Buzzard

Pat Buzzard

Lately while riding I've noticed that my '99 R1100RT doesn't always like to go from 1st to 2nd gear. Today it got to the point that 6 out of 10 times it won't go from 1st to 2nd. I'll get up to RPM clutch, kick it to 2nd, it'll show 2nd on the display, and as soon as I let the clutch out and give her throttle she'll fall into neutral. What is happening? How many thousand dollars is this going to cost to fix?!?!?!

Easyrider5258 (Mark)

Before getting to worried I would strip, clean, and grease the linkage from the gear lever to the gearbox, hopefully this may solve your problem for no cost.

Galactic Greyhound

The problem may simply be that the Gearchange Lever height adjuster bolt has come loose. This is a common problem.

This bolt is situated just to the rear of the LH Rider's Footrest at the bottom of the LH footplate. It sits in a two-position slot which allows adjustment to the height of the Gearchange Lever. Mine is in the lower position.

If you find it is loose, take out the bolt and coat the threads with Blue Loctite (263) and re-insert. Note that the threaded bush it screws into has two flats which sit between two vertical cast lugs on the rear of the footplate to prevent rotation of the bush so you need to feel this into position.

Pat Buzzard

Galactic Greyhound for the win! The bolt was finger loose. It is now tightened. I'm betting that will solve my troubles.

Galactic Greyhound for the win! The bolt was finger loose. It is now tightened. I'm betting that will solve my troubles.

+1

I think this one gets all RT owners at some point. Mine was stuck in 1st gear 25 miles from home.

DallasR1100RT

OK...I am not hijacking this thread!! I was riding my K bike and my buddy was riding my R1100RT...when we pulled into the driveway he could not get the shifter to move. I pushed the bike into the backyard and took a look underneath...well the shifter linkage is not attached to anything and just hanging there!!! There appears to be threaded section on the end of a ball joint looking thing...it is not attached to anything on the transmission side!!! Guess I found why it won't change gears...now I just need to know where to attach it!!!!

HELP!!!!!!

Thanks

Mark

Depending which part has come adrift the threaded rod scews into an upper and lower socket for a ball and socket joint and there should be one haging off the gearbox lever behind the LHS ( clutch side ) footrest plate ( shaft runs fore & aft ) along length of bike or theres a socket on the gearchange lever which the rod should screw into.

Evening Mark

Technically you are hijacking this thread as you are using Pat's thread to get help for yourself.

But seeing as you are already here----

There is a lever on the trans with a ball stud on it. On that ball stud goes a little socket affair that should be screwed on to that hanging link.

I'm not sure how it would have come apart as that socket end is threaded on to the threaded link. The ball socket can't spin so either the lock nut came loose & allowed "both" ends of the threaded link to turn or the threads are stripped out.

In any case if the ball socket is still on the trans lever ball stud you will probably have to first remove it to re-attach it to the threaded rod. It also needs a lock nut to retain the ball socket on the threaded rod.

To get the ball socket off of the trans lever ball you have to remove the little spring retaining clip first (kind of pain to do). If you don't remove that little clip you can't get the ball socket off the ball.

If the ball socket is loose you will also have to re-adjust the link length so the shift lever doesn't bottom or top out in the slot.

1100shiftlever.jpg

DallasR1100RT

Thanks for the info Dirtrider...it looks like the thing came apart at the peice to have the red arrow on...lever on transmission. That is why I was confused seeing the threads and really no way to screw it because of the ball.

Guess I am removing tupperware and who knows what else to get this thing fixed.

I apologize if anyone believes I hijacked the thread...I thought we were having the same issues and thought it would be beneficial to all.

Again...thanks so much for helping a newer BMW owner. You guys are truly amazing.

Mark

BTDT, after doing some maintenance. :dopeslap:

The bolt was so loose that I ended up between 1st and 2nd, with a horrible clattering noise. As the saying goes, "use Loctite, or lose your nuts."

Archived