BMW Eng. oil drain plug

Dave_zoom_zoom

Dave_zoom_zoom

Re: R1200

I believe the correct procedure to tighten the drain plug, is to torque to 23 Nm then retorque to 32 Nm.

Is this correct? If so, why the retorque? Why not just go to 32 Nm?

Please forgive me if this information is incorrect or has been adderssed before.

Thanks

Dave

Talk about the Impossible Dream!

There is no possible way to insert the oil drain plug dry unless you're willing to let the bike sit for hours & hours and drip every last drop of oil out of the crankcase. It seem the threads will always have a coating of oil on them.

That being said, I have Never torqued a drainplug.

I make it snug, and go another 1/16 to 1/8 turn. I've never had leak on any vehicle I've used this technique on in 45 years of working on my vehicles.

BTW..I've also never replaced a crush washer.

YMMV

Joe Frickin' Friday
Re: R1200

I believe the correct procedure to tighten the drain plug, is to torque to 23 Nm then retorque to 32 Nm.

Is this correct? If so, why the retorque? Why not just go to 32 Nm?

Official BMW service manual does not mention a 2-step torque procedure; just a single torque, up to (I think) 30 N*m.

Dave_zoom_zoom

Thanks guys!

I can't remember where I got that 23/32Nm information from.

It didn't make sense to me. That is why I questioned it.

THANK YOU

Dave

That being said, I have Never torqued a drainplug.

I make it snug, and go another 1/16 to 1/8 turn. I've never had leak on any vehicle I've used this technique on in 45 years of working on my vehicles.

BTW..I've also never replaced a crush washer.

YMMV

I also have never torqued a drain plug in 40+ years and also never replaced a crush washer and never had a drop of oil leak. The only time I did notice an oil leak from the oil filter of my car was 10 minutes after I had the oil changed by a service station.

Dave_in_TX
Thanks guys!

I can't remember where I got that 23/32Nm information from.

It didn't make sense to me. That is why I questioned it.

THANK YOU

Dave

That was what BMW originally specified. I don't know when they did away with the two stage sequence.

Evening Dave

Right from the 4th edition BMW RepRom for your 2006 era 1200 hexhead.

2006RepRom-1.jpg

Dave_zoom_zoom

My thanks to Dave_in_TX and DR. I feel better knowing I'm not loosing "all" my marbles just yet.

Thanks!

Dave

Archived