IGNORED

Transmission drain plug will not budge!

jora112233

jora112233

Hi all

Regarding my earlier thread, have now moved on to change the gearbox oil, but the drain plug won't budge. I haven't tried completely forcing it at this stage, as worried about applying too much force, and turning the allen key in the bolt... Or is that unlikley with an allen key this size? Although its a reasonable socket, I don't want to create more problems for myself if I do knacker it, and not sure that the allen key socket is very tough steel.

Did put plenty of penetration oil on last night, and again this morning. {Only other thing, is to try some heat on it?)

Any suggestions?

Regards

Jon

Cardiff

Here are a few things that might help:

Place an allen socket with an extension into the drain plug and then tap the end of the extension with a hammer a few times.

Try tightening the plug slightly. This will sometimes break things loose.

Try using an impact driver . They are old school but great tools to have in your arsenal.

Jon,

Just making sure, you ARE trying to remove the lower of the two hex plugs on the side of the gearbox. The one sunken into a kind of tunnel, right?

If you haven't got one, use a hex socket on it with an extension and, as someone else said, tap it a couple of times before undoing it or, if need be, use an impact wrench. They should only be torqued to 23Nm WITH a crush washer....I hope some idiot hasn't cross threaded it!

Be sure you have a good hex driver that is not worn, has no oil on it, and preferably no plating too. Clean the inside of the hex in the plug with solvent to remove any trace of lube on it too.

Use heat on the gearbox case. Even if the plug is the same temperature as the case, the difference in expansion between the aluminum case and the steel plug will make the plug easier to crack loose.

Remember - in a near strip out situation like this you really only get one chance. Make it a good one. Good luck!

One more thing to try......Find something to use as a drift that is almost the diameter of the plug itself. Pound on the plug with the drift, using a BFH. Not too hard, but solid blows. This will tend to loosen the plug in the threads. It will also possibly actually make your oil penetrate.

jora112233

Thanks Gents -

Gave it a couple of taps, and it seems to have done the trick. Camr out well... as sweet as a nut.

As I said in my last post, I don't think the transmission oil has been changed in years, but it looks in pretty good nick comming out.

Jobs a good'un.

Thanks again all.

Jon

Cardiff

It's great that you got the drain plug out. Hint: Always remove the fill plug first. Every once in a while someone removes the drain plug. Drains the oil. And then can't get the fill plug off. Now they have a transmission without oil so they can't ride the bike to a shop if they need help.

It's great that you got the drain plug out. Hint: Always remove the fill plug first. Every once in a while someone removes the drain plug. Drains the oil. And then can't get the fill plug off. Now they have a transmission without oil so they can't ride the bike to a shop if they need help.

You guys need to think. Put the bike on it's side with the drain plug hole up, fill measured amount, sit upright. Done. DAMHIK. I broke a hex in a drain plug so I took out the fill plug, laid the bike on it's side in the grass, then lifted on the wheels so it was way over, drained, set upright, filled. Done. Did that for the life of the bike. Did ruin a lot of drain pans.

You guys need to think. Put the bike on it's side with the drain plug hole up, fill measured amount, sit upright. Done.

I've thought of that. What I call the lawn mower method of oil change. I prefer the easy route and just make sure I can get the fill plug out first. Same applies to the final drive, in which case you'd have to turn the bike upside down to fill it or fill it through the ABS sensor hole.

I've never had a drain plug defeat my air powered impact wrench, nor has it destroyed any of them either. Although you have to be a little careful about how much pressure you are using so it doesn't take it all the way out with a single quick trigger pull. A set of air tools and compressor was the best investment I've ever made in tools. Just don't use the impact wrench to re-install it when done. :P

Archived