IGNORED

1100RT handlebar vibe fix

hawkmo

Now of course I love my '99 RT and I consider it smooth enough. But around 80-85 there's some buzz in the handlebars. So I tried a cheap fix to see if it helps. I went to the hardware store and bought 8 of those bonded metal washers. They are metal washers with rubber bonded to them for sheet metal use or something of the sort. I removed the handlebar piece (make sure you don't lose the nut on the long bolt like I did) and placed one inbetween the triple clamp and the handlebar. Not too tight, but tight enough so they don't get loose. I tried it out and I think it reduced the buzz by about 35%-40%. FYI, the bike has been tuned, valves,sync, etc. so the buzz is not due to a need for a tune up, just the normal handle bar buzz. Less than $2, try it and see if it works for you.

Clive Liddell

Those washers are a good idea! I have been running my RT with reinforced rubber insertion between the bars and triple clamp for the last 3 or 4 years. For what its worth I also placed fibre washers just below the cap heads.

I thought at the time that it was worth a try and I have never removed them. Most of the time I have had "R" mirrors on the bars and found them to be clear at any RPM.

A slight downside is that the bolts tend to work loose - I use an allen key to tighten as tight as I can on the short side (estimated torque ~8Nm?) around every sevice (10k.km).

Archived