IGNORED

Front Wheel change

jora112233

jora112233

Good morning all. Just fitted a new pair of Avon Storms to the bike. Anyone had any experience of them?

£192 a pair. £20 fitting for both tyres to loose wheels at a local tyre garage. Not bad.

Also, anyone know what I should be torque the front axle bolt should be? just bloody tight?

I've mislaid my manual!

Jon

Cardiff

I have two manuals. They both say 30 nm for the axle bolt and 22 nm for the pinch bolts. One says 40 nm for the brake caliper bolts, the other one says 30 nm.

I have two manuals. They both say 30 nm for the axle bolt and 22 nm for the pinch bolts. One says 40 nm for the brake caliper bolts, the other one says 30 nm.

30nm for front caliper bolts, 40nm for rear

I ran the Storm's for a few tire changes when I first bought my RT. I loved the handling, but I never got more than 6-7k miles out of a set. I even wore one rear to below the wear bars in 4500 miles. That was riding two up with fully packed luggage.

Dave Parry

I put Storm Ultra's on my R1100RT middle of last year and am very pleased with the handling, I noticed a vast improvement over the B23 Battleaxe's that were on there before, (and they were not that badly worn) I can't say much about the Storm's regards wear characteristics as i've only done a couple of thousand miles on them. Btw, I presume you know the recommended pressures for the Storms? 36psi front, 42psi rear, as advised by Avon technical,

Dave.

jora112233

Thanks Gent's. All fitted.

Did have a very scary moment when I thought I may have cross threaded the front axle bolt. Had to take it back out and carefully rethread with the bolt in the vice, but it was fine. Not sure if it was because of where I'd hit the thing out albeit with a tap tap tap...

Spotted something just as scary, and I may well get ostracised here for mentioning it, but just running through my service check list, and to my dismay, cant remember ever changing the transmition oil.

Plan to do it in the morning, have given the drain plug a squirt with penetratinbg oil, as its siezed up a bit.

Thank heavens for over long allen keys!

Cant understan how as I've changed the shaft drive oil a few times...

Jon

Cardiff

jora112233

n.b. A bit worried about some of the low milege comments. Had around 10k Miles out of my last back battleaxe.

Thanks again

Jon

Cardiff

Just a thought - make sure you can undo the gearbox filler plug before removing the drain... DAMHIK

Andy

jora112233

Thanks Andy - yes did try that first, did read that it's always best to check you can put stuff in, before emptying it.

Andy - I'm sure you don;t remember as a boffin you probably deal with hundreds of posts, but just to let you know you did recommend a high ah battery last year. Well the good news is that since changing my commute to a longer trip, the old battery seems to be lasting pretty well. I did however use my new battery to start up a neighbours gpz1100 this morning, thats been stood for 18 months. 4th push of the starter and off it went.

Happy days!

Jon

Archived