IGNORED

50CC San Diego to Jacksonville - Show the Love - June 13

Firefight911

Firefight911

Most of us have heard of it. Several of us have done it. It’s my turn!!

This board is pretty amazing for many things when it comes to motorcycles, technical discussion, and good fun when we come together. It is also known for something else very important and that is supporting each other when we decide to do something like ride our motorcycles from one ocean to another in less than 50 hours.

It’s my turn to seek out that love, support, and help. You see, I want to make sure I get there and I accomplish my goal of a 50CC.

Where do you fit in? Simple!

You can follow me on my SPOT Tracker as I ride. You can also call me on my cell phone at any time during the ride! PM me if you want my cell phone number so you can call to say hello, or just call me names.

Here’s the link for my SPOT Tracker;

Where am I?

After I have completed this ride I’ll be continuing the adventure and loop around the country making my way home. All said and done, it’ll be an approximately 8000 mile adventure of slab, twisty roads, Dragon Tails, Dual Sport Adventure in Pennsylvania, and who knows what else!!!

I have a ride framework established as shown here;

June 11 – Meet and Greet – 4 to 7 PM – Sutter Roseville Hospital RV parking lot adjacent to 3 Medical Plaza on the Sutter Roseville campus in Roseville, CA

June 12 – Ride to San Diego, CA in preparation for departure on June 13 (550 miles)

June 13 – Begin 50CC from Ocean Beach, San Diego, California and ride to Kerrville, Texas for a rest break (1250 miles) – expected 6 AM local time start

June 14 – Continue on 50CC ride from Kerrville, Texas to Jacksonville, Florida (1200 miles)

June 15 – Arrive and dip toes in the Atlantic Ocean at the end of Beach Blvd in Jacksonville Beach outside of Jacksonville, FL within 50 hours from actual start time in San Diego, CA

June 16 – Ride to Albany, GA to visit with a retired co-worker (200 miles)

June 17 – FATHER’S DAY – Attend Sherwood Baptist Church (of the movies Courageous, Facing the Giants, and Fireproof fame) in Albany, GA

June 18 – Ride to Knoxville, TN via ‘Tail of the Dragon’, a famous motorcycling road (400 miles)

June 19 – Ride to Sterling, VA to stay with my wife’s sister and her family (400 miles)

June 20 – Open days to visit, do media interviews, rest, and sight see

June 21 – Ride to Wind Gap, PA to stay and reconnect with a former Marine with whom I served.

June 22/23 – Ride to Spring Mills, PA to attend a weekend dual sport camping and riding event put on by AltRider, a motorcycle accessory company (200 miles)

June 24 – Ride to Zanesville, OH en route to home after passing through Shanksville, PA to pay tribute to the heroic efforts of the passengers and crew of Flight 93 on 9-11-01. (350 miles)

June 25 – Ride to Overland Park, KS to meet up with a long distance NICU family who endured the NICU experience while hundreds of miles from home (750 miles)

June 26 – Rest day

June 27 – Ride to North Platte, NE en route to home (450 miles)

June 28 – Ride to Salt Lake City, UT en route to home (650 miles)

June 29 – Rest day

June 30 – Ride to home in Folsom, CA. Mission accomplished!!! (725 miles)

Now, being as this is a “framework” I can make some adjustments with your input on things I should not miss, gotta go there, etc. so feel free to post up.

Where will Amelia (3bmwfan) and Jamie (2bmwfan) be? They’ll be cheering me on as I am also doing this ride as a charity fund raiser for a charity very near and dear to us three. If you have been around this site more than a week you already know the story of Amelia. If you were at this year’s North meets South event you probably met her. For detailed information on this part, see my signature line.

OK, get your computers fired up and call me as I ride East and then West. Hope to see lots of you along the way!!!

Cool......sounds like a great trip. You will easily be within beverage hoisting distance from me when you get to PA. Maybe I can sneak away that weekend and hunt ya down. Also, my place is always open for bike maintenace or tire swapping if you need it when you are in the area.

Best of luck with the 50CC :thumbsup:

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Wow Phil,

Ambitious ride plan. You're an animal if you do half of it.

I'll not say anything about not having planned "snow days" for repairs. Ok? Nothing.

Best wishes!

Matts_12GS

Catcher's mitt is out, spare bedroom is ready for your arrival, reposado on hand to "return the favor" as it were. I'll even let that Yamaha sleep in the garage next to my proper motorcycle.

:thumbsup:

Now get on your bad motor scooter and ride!!

Is he really gonna do it this time? I do believe so.

Look forward to intercepting you somewhere on I-10. :thumbsup:

One more thing. I think you need a proper title for this event.

Something like...Putz Goes East. Whatta ya think? :grin:

Matts_12GS

ayup, me too

ayup, me too

I may join you guys, this could be an interesting meeting.

:rofl:

Won't be back on two yet, but will have other vehicles if needed

(won't say the T word).

Good luck.

Will be with the interception committee out I10 if here. Bernie can show you how to enjoyably get to Albany and the Smokies from there. Luck. Bill

I'm thinking of picking him up at the rest area at mile marker 318.

Depending on how Phil feels, he doesn't necessarily need to stop. We can just absorb him after he rolls by. I know a couple of Harley riders. Should I bring them along, you know, so thier loud pipes might keep him awake? :grin:

Hey Phill,

I did the 50cc last May and had a great time. There is a lot of good advise on the IBA (Iron Butt Association) site. Believe it or not, get off any stimulants a couple weeks before the ride. Stimulants and long distance riding are not a good combination... as noted on the IBASite. Staying hydrated is very important but pace your sips. It took me until my third gas stop to figure out a drinking pattern to allow me to ride 220 miles between stops without my bladder trying to explode. Water mixed with electrolytes and beef jerky was all I needed and kept me alert. Oh and one 6" subway sandwich when I stopped to have my 1500 miles within 36 hours verified.

I would like to see you off there at the Ocean Beach Pier on the 13th.

I will gladly be a starting time witness for you if you would like.

I hope the Florida guys are able to intercept you and ride you into JB. It is a really cool experience.

Bahh! We have radios. Harassment is the best medicine for sleep deprivation.

If Phil will put some antlers on his helmet I'll turn the dogs loose...

Firefight911
I would like to see you off there at the Ocean Beach Pier on the 13th.

I will gladly be a starting time witness for you if you would like.

That would be awesome!! I would be so appreciative of any and all send off support and witness assistance!!

If Phil will put some antlers on his helmet I'll turn the dogs loose...

I'm sure I could some up with something.

Phil, I'm inspired by your ride, especially for a guy as old as you are :P. But, of course, I'm even more inspired by Amelia, her spirit, yours and Jamie's love, sacrifice and tenacity, and all the people at NICU who made her success story possible.

I clicked on the link at the bottom of your post to see what I could do to help. Donation sent.

Knifemaker

Looks like you will be getting a "proper" east coast welcome in J'vile....

Matt

Danny

Bernie

Bill Wood

AND............NOW ME!!!!!

Firefight911

Alright!!! The more the merrier!!!

I'm getting excited!!

All the support is fantastic, for both the ride and the link in my signature line. This ride has grown to be more than I am and I sit in awe of the people that are in my life, Amelia's, and my family's!

I'm also gonna start posting up some new threads for routing on the back side of the 50CC for my trip back to home.

The bike is ready. Couple things to take care of but the service is done.

Here's the link everyone will need for following me across the country -

LINKY

:clap:

I can not thank all of you enough!

AdventurePoser

Have a great ride, Phil...if I wasn't at LAX on the 12th, I'd ask to tag along on the scoot to the east coast part. Sounds like fun.

Steve

Purely by coincidence, I'm planning to ride from Oklahoma City, straight-through to Orlando on the 13th. But I'm not taking I-10, as I'm sure you are.

I'll be riding through Little Rock, Memphis, Birmingham, Montgomery, and on into Florida, and taking about 21.5 hours to get there.

I don't know what time you plan to begin your ride, but if it's going to be a pressure cooker, you might consider altering your start time accordingly.

At a few points along my planned route, it was near 100 today, so I may leave as early as 18:00 on the 12th and ride through the dark hours to avoid the heat.

It's still a couple of weeks off, and you never know what the weather will do.

So, good luck, ride smart, and have a safe trip.

And know in your mind that your not alone out there.

Cheers

This looks like it will be a fantastic trip Phil! Your daughter is very lucky to have such a great dad! I sent you a PM with my contact info. I'm off duty on June 19th as you are "scheduled" to enter VA. If it works out I'll try to catch you somewhere along the route. Good luck and safe travels!

Firefight911

Wow, only one more week to go!!

I am ready. GPS map set is updated, bike is serviced, I'm as ready as I'll be, all I need to do is pack the bike.

I do need a little help from my friends!

If there are any of you who would like to help see me off I would be so very appreciative. Likewise, catching on the other side would be great as well!

The plan is to be at;

Ocean Beach Pier parking lot (and beach access)

5099 Newport Ave (corner of Newport and Abbott)

N 32* 44.868'

W 117* 15.174'

and then,

Johnny's Shell station in Ocean Beach, CA:

4794 Voltaire St. (corner of Voltaire and Sunset Cliffs Blvd)

(619) 224-1900

N 32* 44.996'

W 117* 14.575'

around 530 to 6 AM on the 13th. I have set an absolute leave by time of 7 AM at the latest but, obviously, would really like to be gone before then.

On the opposite side, LESS than 50 hours later I plan on being here;

Shell #112

1539 South 3rd Street

Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250

904-249-1512

I should be there before 10 AM on the 15th.

I am staying with Jamie and Leslie (KMG_365 and LesIsMore) the night before in San Diego, with Larry and Louise (Whip and MrsWhip)in San Antonio in the middle, and with Laura Lee and Danny (Huzband)in Jacksonville.

I hope to see several of you at the start or finish and along the route if you are bored and want to ride along for a while.

Here's my SPOT link so you can track me along the way;

LINKY

:wave::wave:

So many of you have reached me off line to wish me luck and express your support for me, my signature line, and to otherwise tell me I'm crazy. I really do appreciate it. Oh, and I already know I'm crazy but thanks! :thumbsup:

I hope to see you at the start, along the way, and at teh finish.

I am staying with Laura Lee and Danny (Huzband)in Jacksonville.

Huh, what?

Oh yeah, we did talk about that. You were serious?

:grin:

LINKY

Say, uh, did you have that thing turned on and in your pocket about a week ago?

That's kind of the impression I got from seeing the latest results... :grin:

LINKY

Say, uh, did you have that thing turned on and in your pocket about a week ago?

That's kind of the impression I got from seeing the latest results... :grin:

+1 :rofl:

Firefight911

That's what happens when you forget to turn it off and it pings for a whole 24 hour period in the garage!

Yes, I said garage!!! As in closed up no direct line of sight, yada, yada, yada. See, I told you I don't understand how people have issues when they say they can't get a ping to read.

Phil,

I am taking the 13th off from work and will sign you off at the pier and follow you out to Arizona for your first gas stop. I just picked up a GoPro Hero 2 camera today. I will try to dial it in in hopes of getting some good footage of you at the start. Start getting as much extra rest as you can. There is proof that you can bank sleep. Will Lesilie or Jamie be present at the start? Would be great to see them again.

Firefight911

OK, we are a go!!

I set off for San Diego in the morning and the 50CC starts the morning of the 13th at Ocean Beach pier for a toe dip between 0530 and 6 AM. I want to be clutch out after a gas receipt pick up as soon as possible thereafter.

Any launchers welcome!

Check my SPOT link for live time tracking

LINKY

Also, feel free to catch me on the other coast at Jacksonville Beach or join me anywhere along the route. I would love the company!

Stand by to catch in San Antonio and then Jacksonville!!

WooHoo!!

May have luck with the weather on your side. While hot and humid, these major storms we've been experiencing may take a break as you approach the east coast.

ride safe, have fun on the intercept Jax guys.

Looks like he's on the move. His SPOT track shows that Phil left about six hours ago and as of a couple of minutes ago he is in beautiful downtown Burbank!

Archived