IGNORED

Ram mount for gps

Trojan

Good morning all, first post here.

I have an '09 RT, want to mount Zumo 665. I'd like a closer reach than a front shelf mount, and not obstruct view of instrument panel, or have gps view obstructed by tank bag. This Ram mount on clutch reservoir cover looked like it might do the trick - anybody use this, and if so, thoughts?

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045049056050085/Default.aspx

Thanks so much.

John

Slyder_Steve

Hey John!

Welcome to the asylum!! I've used ram mounts in the past and they've worked very well for me on my 04 RT. There's so many options with them that you can make it work for just about anything you want.

Steve

WestyLancs

Hi John another welcome from across the water.

Apart from my shelf mount, currently holding my 660, I've also got one of these

RAM Mirror hole mount

I added it to take a handheld sat nav (used as a spare) when my old 2820 was giving up the ghost.

If nothing else it takes the loading off the clutch mounts, whilst keeping the unit in more or less the same place.

Firenailer

I just installed the B186 bolt thru mount with a medium arm on my RT and it seems to work fine with or without a tankbag, and it doesn't block any of the gauges or comp display. I'm not sure if I like it better than the suction cup above the dash regarding line of sight, but it is much more secure, and looks nice and centered between the bars.

Morning John

If you want it within arms reach below the dash & above the tank bag it will just meet those specification if mounted center handlebars on a short "L" arm 1" ball mount & a short clamp. The "L" arm uses a longer handle bar attachment bolt & a short spacer to mount right to a handle bar attaching bolt.

Here is a picture from the riders eye level & position of a Zumo 550 (close to your 665 in size).

Good thing about center mount is the riders body shields the sun when the sun is high & behind you so no sun wash out.

Also easy to use the GPS buttons & controls with one hand as you can rest your arm on the tank bag to steady it while riding at speed.

Zumo_1200.jpg

I've had my GPS (first a Garmin 276C and now a Montana 600) mounted on the clutch reservoir of my R12RT since I got the bike in 2006. I use the one where the ball is offset from centre a bit. Like you, I wanted the GPS within easy reach and did not like any of the options for mounting it behind the tank bag etc. It has worked like a charm for me in the clutch reservoir position. That said, the clutch reservoir on the newer RTs is different than that on my 2006. Does yours have four screws that attach the cover to the reservoir, or does it simply have a screw-on cap? If the latter, the one you're looking at won't work, will it?

Hi fellows, thanks for the welcome, and the thoughts. Ian, I already have extra mirrors up there, so that mirror hole mount might not do as well for me, but a good thought.

DR, that short "L" arm 1" ball mount looks like it might be just the ticket. Fellows, thanks again for sharing your thoughts, and the pictures. I'll see about giving this a try.

John

Afternoon John

This is the ball mount you want to end up with.

One of the nice things with a center mount is in most cases no need to remove the GPS at stops. Just set your helmet over the GPS & nobody knows the GPS is there.

I had a friend that used a clutch reservoir mount & he had the GPS twisted right off the bike (even broke the mounting) at a very quick gas stop.

ballmount-1.jpg

I use the RAM clutch cover mount. Haven't had any problems so far. I drop the helmet over it at petrol stations etc. so it can't be seen. The mount is quick release, so it takes about 2 seconds (literally) to drop the unit out of its cradle and lock it in the bike anyway.

DSC02768.jpg

Dirtrider this is very timely. I am about to finally mount my new 660 to my 2010 RT using a small shelf that attaches on top of the dash. The shelf came with the bike. I've been wondering if this placement would obstruct vision, however on the other hand it seems like a good location for not taking your eyes off the road while occasionally looking at the GPS. What do you think?

Is there a Ram mount part(s) number for your setup? I like your arrangement.

John

Afternoon John

This is the ball mount you want to end up with.

One of the nice things with a center mount is in most cases no need to remove the GPS at stops. Just set your helmet over the GPS & nobody knows the GPS is there.

I had a friend that used a clutch reservoir mount & he had the GPS twisted right off the bike (even broke the mounting) at a very quick gas stop.

DR, thank you again for this additional picture. Very helpful.

John

Dirtrider this is very timely. I am about to finally mount my new 660 to my 2010 RT using a small shelf that attaches on top of the dash. The shelf came with the bike. I've been wondering if this placement would obstruct vision, however on the other hand it seems like a good location for not taking your eyes off the road while occasionally looking at the GPS. What do you think?

Is there a Ram mount part(s) number for your setup? I like your arrangement.

John

Good morning Runnor. Not to step in, but I believe the part number for the offset ball on the Ram website might be Ram b-272u.

http://www.rammount.com/SearchResults/tabid/38/searchBy/description/criteria/082065077045066045050055050085/Default.aspx

and the bolts: http://www.rammount.com/SearchResults/tabid/38/searchBy/description/criteria/082065077045066045051054055/Default.aspx

John

Thanks for posting the link to your mount. It's got the wheels turning in my head to do something similar to my 1150 RT-P.

Thanks for posting the link to your mount. It's got the wheels turning in my head to do something similar to my 1150 RT-P.

Your welcome---just curious, were you able to view all the pics on the blog? Some are having trouble when using a Mac!!???

droptine1968

Here is a link to my post with pics and part numbers. This is without a tankbag, which I hate using anyway. I have since mounted a water proof 12v cigarrette style socket to power the gps to the ram plate, and wired that the bmw repair cable. That way, I can just rmeove the whole ram arm and power cable together when we're done riding for the day. I also run and audio cable under the tankbag rack for gps audio to my scala comm unit.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=69168&Number=771618#Post771618

Your welcome---just curious, were you able to view all the pics on the blog? Some are having trouble when using a Mac!!???

Yes, I was able to see all of them.

Here's a quick pic of the finished product. Couldn't be better. View of Zumo 665 is over the top of the bag, and under the dash instruments. Also, it's a little closer than before, and so it's easier to reach, and shorter reach = steadier touch too. All good. Thanks again for the ideas.

John

009.jpg

011-3.jpg

Archived