IGNORED

R1100R

Pat Buzzard

Pat Buzzard

I have an opportunity to pick up an R1100R for $2750. It has 54k on the clock, no bags, but otherwise looks to be in good condition. What do you think of the price? I am probably going to go check it in person tomorrow. Any advice? Anything unique to the "R," that I should look for?

That's a good price and a good year. Just make sure it has been well maintained, has no leaks, shifts well, the clutch doesn't slip and everything works (switches, lights, ABS if it has it). At that mileage I'd count on replacing shocks and the HES wiring if it hasn't been done already.

I bought one of those myself.

At that mileage you need to be sure to install a new alternator belt as well as change the fuel filter... (not hard just a little involved if you have never removed a gas tank before and opened it up to get to the fuel pump/filter).

You should be smarter than me and do this with a very low fuel volume... duh!

Then the regular valve adjustment and TBS...

mikeR1100R

Seems like a good deal. Let us know how it checks out in person.

I've had mine now since '05. I've done all the maintenance myself and so far it has never failed to start except for this week after I put the tank back on and forgot to connect the fuel pump wires. :dopeslap:

Great bike :thumbsup:

Two known weak points on the bike are the Valeo starter magnets detaching from the starter "can" and the HES wiring deterioration.

I replaced both on my 2000 R1100R due to their failure...

I also recommend you do a complete brake system flush, and if you have ABS, include the two bleed screws on the ABS reservoir. This is located under the tank. So, unless already done so, you might as well replace the internal fuel filter while you remove the tank. Don't forget to buy the appropriate FI clamps (for the internal filter hoses) and replacement O'ring for the fuel pump/filter "cover" on the underside of the tank.

Also, check for wiring loom cover deterioration and retape it up where necessary.

Archived