Why did you buy your BMW bike?

g_frey

I bought mine after a trip from Montana to S. California. I was on a Honda shadow 600 which is still a bike I am fond of except ... I was going through the desert with a 50 mph headwind the whole way. The Honda was laboring to hold 50 mph. I was passed twice by the same blue RT doing about 80 mph. It was quiet, fast, and classy. I was just riding and fueling and this guy had stopped twice, once to eat and he still beat me to California. I looked like hell all dried out and he was "warm" he told me. Less than a year later I got my RT and the next trip though the desert was MUCH more enjoyable.

I rode crotch rockets for years, but needed a bike for a long trip out to the west coast and back. I sat on every bike I could find, and the BMW's were the only ones that had the proper ergos for me. 7 years and 80k+ miles later, I can't imagine riding anything else for munching miles.

I bought a Triumph Bonneville the day after I got my permit. I rode it for 6 months before I realized that a hundred mile range and no storage wasn't what I wanted. I started researching the best touring bikes. It came down to the RT or Honda ST1300. I couldn't get a Honday to test ride. I got on the RT for a test ride and fell in love. I never looked back.

Paul Mihalka

I bought my first BMW bike in 1972 and since then it is a uninterrupted string of BMW bikes. That first BMW purchase was a not planned spot decision. Different story. Since then I found that no other bike does better what I want from a bike.

I thought BMW would provide me the best all-around sport-touring motorcycle: a great blend of ergos, technology, reliability.

And though I was happy when I bought my 1st (an 04 RT on which I put 57K miles in 67 months), I am happy beyond words with my new-to-me GSA.

A good friend gave me a deal on the one he was selling, it was in excellent shape and I liked the way it looked. Fell in love over the miles.

I wanted a touring bike because I found myself riding longer days and the FXDX I was on at the time had neither the riding position, the gas tank nor the luggage to make that kind of riding work. The RT was well-reviewed and I found a salvage project which suited me so I got my first BMW.

10 years later and my long-distance riding ambitions are at a low point so I'm back to a bike with more sport and less tour.

Guest Kakugo

Pretty much I got pushed into a BMW dealership.

I had an extremely disappointing experience with the local Kawasaki assistance network (by local I mean every single dealer in a 60 miles radius), I was in need of a new ride because I was so angry with Kawasaki and a friend told me the local BMW dealer (3 miles from home) had some bikes they had to register before the end of July. I said myself "why not? If something goes wrong they cannot be worse than Kawasaki".

Went in on Friday evening, worked out a deal on the last RT they had available, asked them to give me until Monday to think about it and I was back in the evening with a check.

Thursday evening I rode home with the new bike, then did 1200km between Saturday and Monday to run it. First service was done on Tuesday.

You know what they say about love at first sight?

I didn't know I was joining a cult when I bought my used '04 RT with 7k miles on it in 2006. I just wanted to get back into motorcycling as part of my late midlife crisis/ retirement plan and thought I wanted something that would be big enough to make it to the Blue Ridge Parkway, light enough to run errands on, and had the neutral UJM sitting position I was used to from my old Yamaha 650. Research said it was an RT or a Honda 1300ST and the Honda weighed about a hundred pounds more. The FJR was too crotchrocket position and I didn't know about the Concours. I went to the dealer to look at well used RTPs thinking of the lesser price and advantage of crash bars for a return to biking bike, but fell in love/ heat with the black '04. I'll go over 100k in the next couple of weeks and still expect BMW to come knocking on my door demanding the bike back because I don't meet their high standards of ownership.

-----

WestyLancs

Back in the late 80s, I was a UK motorcycle cop. The police bike at the time was the R80RT and I loved it. Marriage and kids put paid to bikes for many years, until I got back into it a few years ago, via a Honda 125 !! Researched something bigger, that had to be shaft drive, and the RT beat the Honda ST1300, and Yamaha FJR1300 on weight, economy and even price. AND it had a boxer engine.

Never looked back.

"Why did you buy your BMW bike?"

Spent a lot of years racing and quit in about 1987. Thought I still had a need for speed and looked at the Duc 996. Thankfully, I soon realized BEFORE buying it that I'd probably be dead in a week on that thing. (but what a week it would be :D )

I had always seen a lot of Beemers on the road (RT's mostly) and always thought they were the nicest looking bike (except for Ducs).

I knew the BMW dealer for years from going in buying other stuff as they were a KTM dealer at the time. After looking at all the Ducs, Triumphs and new RT's, I looked out his window and said "I want one like that one", pointing to a '96 red 1100RT. Who owns that?. He responded "oh we do, it's one of our used bikes for sale". That was it. I was hooked.

It took a while to get used to the turn signals though :rofl:

baggerchris

After having had 5 HD's and wanting a dual sport too, I went into the Stockton Ca. Suzuki dealership to test the 2 Vstroms. They not only would not let me ride one, they wouldn't even start one up. Went to both the nearest BMW dealerships and one of the first things they asked me was did I want to take a ride. For my first Dualsport since I already had a heavyweight HD, I tested the F650GS single. After owning it for 5 years, I upped to the F650GS Twin. I couldn't be happier. Oh yes, in between I also owned a 97 R1100RT. I could never get very comfy on it although I had the stock seat; a Sargent and a Corbin. I like to use highway pegs and the boxer just does not do that for me well. So, after 1 year with the 650 GS twin, I consider it one of the best overall bikes I have ever owned.

Dave_in_TX

After totaling my Kawasaki Voyager in a deer collision in December of 2006, I was looking for a lightweight touring bike (or a sport tourer that emphasized touring). I also wanted ABS and good headlights. I ruled out the ST1300 because of the many complaints of engine heat. The FJR didn't fit me and it didn't have cruise control. I had been buying riding gear and accessories from the BMW dealer for years so they already knew me. The RT fit me the best of the bikes I tried and they gave me a good deal on an 07. After 140k miles on the 07, I just recently traded it in on a slightly used 2011 RT.

I was seduced by an R60 with its jugs hanging out. Now I fly a R1200RT with bigger jugs hanging out.

Being a jug man and all that... :thumbsup:

The jugs on your newer model are higher, just sayin'...

:wave:

And by the way, my first BMW was an R80/7 with a Luftmeister fairing and Krauser bags...it was the only bike out there outfitted for my long distance touring tastes..

:thumbsup:

Who here remembers Butler and Smith? ...besides Paul Milhalka.

MB>

The Honda/BMW dealer kept my PC for six months while "looking" for an engine to swap in, and I was getting sick of driving the 405 to work. On one of my visits for an update on the PC I saw the RT in the lot. An '05 with 3800 miles and loaded with most every option. I had been eyeing the RT's for years, and my PC was just a hair too small for me. $11.9k says the salesman, on a Wednesday. I did a little searching for the next couple of days and couldn't fine anything near that price. On Sunday I rode out a happy man. $13.9 out the door.

First one was an old airhead with the samsonite looking side cases. Thought it looked cool and all my buddies were riding R90's

Wanted to get back into riding after laying off due to family, kids, yada, yada, yada.

Saw a PBS piece on BMW's, and having a BMW dealership nearby, took a ride on an 1150 RT. After having ridden a Yamaha Seca 750, I actually thought the 1150, with it's opposed twin, needed a tune up. Later found TADT.

I then found BMWST, and thought the community of BMW Brethren would help me through any mechanical difficulties...and I haven't been disappointed with my choice of MC, DB, or any meeting with members since.

Thank you all, BMWST.

Decided to do a project bike. Choice was a 1000 cc sportster and a r100s. At 6'4", BMW had the best fit of anything out there, and after considering that sportsters tend to loosen dental work, the choice was easy.

Coming from a Honda cb650, the big airhead, surprised me with its lack of frame flex. Can't say it was a smoother engine than the inline four, but the simplicity and ease of maintenance makes the BMW a trusted friend.

CoarsegoldKid

Wife said one day that my Kawasaki Concours was getting long in the tooth. "What we gonna get", she said? I had never set foot in a BMW dealership so I says lets go check out the BMWs. Wife was shocked. I was offered a test ride. We rode about 30 miles asking each other questions about this or that. We bought the R1200RT.

Who here remembers Butler and Smith?

MB>

...and their magazine ads featuring the Adventure Rider of the 1960s, Danny Liska!

i-2ns943f-XL.jpg

motorman587

This my story, grow up in Germany and had the love for the motorcycle back then. I could not afford a BMW then so had to wait. Love to watch the polizei do their thing. Mother's best friend's husband was German motorcycle officer.

Came to US in 1987, still could not afford it. Got a job in 1988, but there was no BMW dealer in the area. Got my first BMW K100RS, white in 96. It was taken from me by a deer. Did not return to BMWs until 2002. Have had one every since. Love the ride, look, feel, and style.

I bought the 1972 R75/5 gold toaster BMW used in their media ads

from an employee of B&S.

My first beemer was a '68 R50 and back then BMW was the best looking, best option for long riding.

The competition had odometers that suggested tens of thousands of miles would be sufficient whhilst BMW seemed to be built for hundreds of thousands of miles.

I knew several engineers who rode them and when I went from a 350 Honda to the R50 forty two years ago...

well that was that.

Can't find one with my bike in it but here is the blue version.

e72ca11.jpg

Spoke too soon...

:dopeslap:

Here it is.

e72ga04.JPG

The BMW ads from the mid 60's on were so much better than any other marque.

Emphasis on the bike's design and capabilities with pics from trips around the world/cross country records/etc.

DaveinNCMn

I bought the 1972 R75/5 gold toaster BMW used in their media ads

from an employee of B&S.

e72ca11.jpg

My first ride on a BMW was my uncle's '72 R75/5 Black toaster. Was impressed by the light steering, good manners and the smooth, "sneaky" power. I was on a '72 Triumph Trident at the time which was a lot of fun too.

Two years later, I saw one of the first ads for a R90S and went out and bought one. One of my uncle (250 miles away) became BMW dealer in '79 and got a good deal on some leftover '78 R100S's (Not sure, but think Butler & Smith were the distributors at the time). The R90S was sold and I was on a R100S.

Fast forward (through my HD era) to 1993. The R100S was long gone. I saw an ad for the new R1100RS. I just knew that I had to have a shiny new RED one of those! Rode that until in 2009. I was out on a trip and stopped at Gina's. The R11 was a great bike, but I was considering getting something with a bit more comfort. All of the other updates (power, suspension, protection, etc) on the RTs helped seal the deal. A couple of hours later, I rode out on a new '09 R1200RT, my current Beemer.

Several years ago I fell asleep while watching a Frankenstein movie on tv. In my dream an apparition materialized from a mist, dressed in grey, wearing boxing gloves (one white, one blue). Although the spectre’s lips never moved I distinctly heard the words “passen Sie vom abschließenden antrieb auf”. Suddenly the mist cleared and and I found myself in a rich, sun drenched Bavarian landscape surrounded by smiling, laughing Germans (I did say this was a dream right).

As if reading my mind a buxom barmaid appeared carrying a beer stein the size of a wash bucket. She smiled and leaned toward me saying, “sind Sie ein Motorradfahrer?”. Being linguistically challenged I mumbled something about a fascination with flat twins whereupon she doused me with beer and stormed off.

I awoke to an infomercial blaring on about the latest iteration of the Shamwow - but I was hooked. I headed for the door, intent on driving to . . . ok ok so that’s not quite the way it happened. I had a bunch of other bikes then got a BMW. I like it. I might get another one too someday.

:

MB>

y0!.gif I'm a Butler & Smith grad, class of Jan. '77.

Live 5 minutes from Gina's BMW in Iowa City. Went in to buy a Shoei Multitec. Looked at bikes, thought "what kind of moron would pay that for a bike?" Guess we now have the answer to that question. Went on a few test rides, thought "I can see why people like these!" Endured Gina's comment that my then one-year-old V-Star "belonged in a museum." :Cool:

What a machine. Placed order, then waited. Here, shortly after delivery. I had to wait to ride....

th_003-2.jpg

John

Chick Magnet? Well that too. However the only time that worked was two college chicks were checking me out at the gas pump with the usual giggling. That lasted until I took my helmet off and they saw my white hair. I felt pretty good up until that point though.

Chick Magnet? Well that too. However the only time that worked was two college chicks were checking me out at the gas pump with the usual giggling. That lasted until I took my helmet off and they saw my white hair. I felt pretty good up until that point though.

:rofl:

Cus I wanted to look cool and be a chick magnet

It worked for this guy

man-chicks.jpg

What the cluck! :/

Mike Kneebone's ad in Cycleworld somewhere around 93. He was thoroughly thrashing the brand new R1100rs in some type of tourture event/test. Had to have one!

Pat

I had a Yamaha Diversion XJ900S ... a 900cc 4-inline sports tourer I don't think was ever released in the USA. Shaft drive, about the same horsepower as an 1150RT, aircooled.

New_helmets.jpg

Anyway, we wanted to ride the USA NW with my brother-in-law and sis-in-law who live there. B-I-L has one eye in the centre of his forehead and it's a blue and white roundel. They both ride his-n-hers BMWs. So, he decided to buy a 1150RT for us to use on the holiday, planning to sell it afterwards. He finally found a beautiful 2004 model, with heaps of extras, in immaculate condition.

738672276_tUMsi-L.jpg

We went over to the US and rode the three bikes around the NW as planned. Here is a slideshow of part of it:

Anyway, long story short ... after the trip the GFC hit and he couldn't sell it. And we were totally in love with it. After a couple of years, much paperwork and a very circuitous route, the 1150RT now sports Western Australian registration and licence plates and sits in my garage ... when it's not touring around Australia. And it's almost used to being on the proper side of the road now! :rofl:

DSCF4106.jpg

... when it's not touring around Australia. And it's almost used to being on the proper side of the road now! :rofl:

So, you're riding against traffic in your lane now? :D

Archived