IGNORED

R1150RT: Best Use of the Radio Compartment

MotorcycleWriter

Andy,

Sure, but the thread had raised questions about the legality of what one carries there.

A licensed California medical marijuana patient can keep their medicine there.

If they ride to a state where it isn't medicine, prolly not.

However, in those states where it isn't allowed, you don't read about people being stopped on the street and forced to inhale.

Carry what fits and is legal for your neck o the woods.

:wave:

woodytwoshoes

On my 03 it was wasted space till I fixed a ballistic holster in it, had to remove the lid however, now easy access to my .45 S&W auto. Means I have to shoot lefty though.

Woody

Chuck U Farley
Afternoon Caerleon

Hopefully in your country you don't need to carry something for added protection. There are parts of the U.S. here that you just can't comfortably go without personal protection. In fact a lot of us carry 2, one on the bike & one in a quicker access location.

Carrying something you might need in a hurry in the radio box that needs a door opened to access it is pretty useless in an emergency situation. If you have time to open the radio box & reach around in there then there was plenty of time to exit the situation before it escalates.

I would gladly trade you the option of " being able " to carry something for riding in a country that you didn't "need" to carry something.

I carry concealed when off the bike but while riding it stays locked where it won't get lost. I feel comfortable with that as I don't envision having a running gun battle while riding the bike. Perhaps you do.

----

I carry concealed when off the bike but while riding it stays locked where it won't get lost. I feel comfortable with that as I don't envision having a running gun battle while riding the bike. Perhaps you do.

Afternoon Chuck

As long as you are happy with the way you do it that's OK by me.

If a car full of yahoos pull up next to both of us at stop light & jump out & knock us off the bikes with intent to rob or harm one of us will be ready & the other one won't.

oldironhead

As has already been mentioned several times, the radio compartment can serve the same capacity as a glove compartment in an auto. It's handy for registration, insurance card, tools, first aid, maps, etc., even gloves. I also keep a few pieces of plywood of varying thickness to put under the side stand, when needed.

I'll keep my PDW in a place where it's at hand for its intended use, and not inaccessible behind lock and key.

As has already been mentioned several times, the radio compartment can serve the same capacity as a glove compartment in an auto. It's handy for registration, insurance card, tools, first aid, maps, etc., even gloves. I also keep a few pieces of plywood of varying thickness to put under the side stand, when needed.

I'll keep my PDW in a place where it's at hand for its intended use, and not inaccessible behind lock and key.

+1 on that. Back when I was a young man and in the Army it was beaten into my head that if you are carrying a weapon, never put it someplace where it's not within easy reach.

When I ride I'm usually by myself far from home and far from any help. I always carry a handgun, either a Glock in shoulder holster or a Ruger .357 revolver in my jacket, both are easy to get out if needed. Luckily I've never had to pull my piece in the 26 years I've been riding, but it sure is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it or have it but not have quick access to it because it's behind a locked panel :dopeslap:.

Edited by azccj
dirtdreamer50
You guys scare me with all your gun talk. I feel like I am at an NRA site.

Yeah, ain't the Second Amendment a wonderful thing? We so far, still have the legal right to protect ourselves and our loved ones and property. Don't be scared of our talk, be scared of losing your right to protect yourself. tp/dd50

You guys scare me with all your gun talk. I feel like I am at an NRA site.

Yeah, ain't the Second Amendment a wonderful thing? We so far, still have the legal right to protect ourselves and our loved ones and property. Don't be scared of our talk, be scared of losing your right to protect yourself. tp/dd50

The problem is, this is a thread on using the radio box and has turned into a thread on where and when to use guns. This is the wrong forum fot that discusion. Saying you use the box to store your gun - or commenting that to do so may not be legal in some areas is fine, once the dicussion goes beyond that it is a hijack and is not within the board rules.

If the discussion does not keep on track, then the thread will get shut down.

Andy

roger 04 rt

Yup, it turned into two threads. Both are interesting. (Although I like and own guns, I had no sense that there were as many armed riders as there appear to be.) I think this thread should veer back toward how to use the space.

So far I just keep documents, sunscreen and a bottle of water. Maybe I'll add my handheld GPS and Fastlane pass.

Mine is full of stuff, (just like a mother's purse)! Roll of electrical tape, Kleenex, tire puncture repair kit, insurance info, ibuprophen, small first aid kit.... you get the idea.

Some good ideas here.

What are people carrying for tools. So far I have, embarrassed to admit, none with me.

Edited by roger 04 rt
oldironhead
...What are people carrying for tools. So far I have, embarrassed to admit, none with me.

That is excellent testament to the reliability of our bikes. Still, a few rudimentary tools like a Leatherman, some tire plugs and a CO2 tire filler could prove handy. I have gobs of storage space on my bike. Under the seat, and three huge saddlebags, but that radio compartment is the best place for everyday items like have been mentioned (except for one). ;)

Morning Roger

Main tool to carry is a cell phone, next best is a credit card.

Start with your factory tool kit, a small (cheap) DVM, a pencil with some electrical tape rolled on it, some duct tape rolled on it, & some mechanics wire rolled onto it. Then roll up a short length of 16 gauge wire & package with a few extra tie straps with a rubber band around the bundle.

Next-you can get a bit more exotic-- My next personal favorite is a very small pair of vise grips--those can be used to hold about any sized nut, clamped on & used in place of a broken clutch lever or missing/brake shift lever, even to clamp off a brake line.

Next- a small tire plugging kit & some type of air such as a small 12v pump or Co2 cartridges.

If you want to carry some type of air for tire filling, sleeping mat filling etc then find a small (cheap) Slime pump (or similar) from Wally World. Remove the large plastic housing (it then gets pretty darn small). Next shorten the air hose to about 10" & lengthen the wires to allow the pump to reach the rear wheel (+ a little) (it's easier to wrap up & store the longer wires than the thicker longer stock hose). Doesn't matter which is longer as long as it reaches the rear wheel filler.

Next start using the stock tool kit for regular service. If your tool kit doesn't contain something you need it's better you know it at home so you can add that to the tool kit. I usually dump some of the stock stand alone tools in favor of 1/4 drive set up with multi Torx bits & Allen bits. If you have something at home that works better than the stock tools & is smaller & lighter remove the stock stuff & buy duplicate of what you have at home for your tool kit. Personally I keep my DVM in the radio box & the tools under the seat all covered with a heavy duty sealable zip-lock plastic bags.

Now- my favorite & most used tool. A long (over 30') flat tow strap. Mine is the same material as a ratchet strap but much longer & thinner material. So far in the many years I have carried that tow strap I have used it to tow many bikes off the freeway or to tow a bike to a place safe to work on it. Luckily I haven't needed to be towed myself (yet!). It packages easily under the seat.

Next- while I never carried this on my Air Heads, 1100's or 1150's I now carry a small set of jumper cables I made up (fits nicely under the seats of my 1200's. I have used these a number of times for fellow riders as the newer (gel cell) equipped bikes seem to have a lot of sudden-battery-death at remote camp grounds. (a down right epidemic).

On my 1200's I seem to have a lot more storage room so I also carry a small can of tire filler/sealer (fix-a-flat). Not sure where I got them but they are about 1/2 the size of the larger automotive cans. Great if needed late at night if tire damage is bad enough that a plug doesn't seal completely or to give to a fellow rider with a tire issue. I wrap the outside of the can with more duct tape as it not only protects the can & prevents rattles it is a great place to store additional duct tape. Over the years I have found duct tape to be a big asset at camp grounds, on the road for about any thing that breaks or flops around (even boot repair, or rain gear repair).

Now- my favorite & most used tool. A long (over 30') flat tow strap. Mine is the same material as a ratchet strap but much longer & thinner material. So far in the many years I have carried that tow strap I have used it to tow many bikes off the freeway or to tow a bike to a place safe to work on it.

Hey, D.R. I pretty much carry all the same tools you do ( except no "Fix-a-flat" ) I've considered a tow strap, but I wasn't entirely sure how to safely use one to tow another bike. Do you securely tie the strap to the towing bike and just loosely tie it to the towed bike so it can be released easily or just secure on both ends? What is the longest distance you've towed another bike? Any other towing hints like where is the best place to tie the strap?

Edited by awagnon
Bill_Walker
Now- my favorite & most used tool. A long (over 30') flat tow strap. Mine is the same material as a ratchet strap but much longer & thinner material. So far in the many years I have carried that tow strap I have used it to tow many bikes off the freeway or to tow a bike to a place safe to work on it.

Hey, D.R. I pretty much carry all the same tools you do ( except no "Fix-a-flat" ) I've considered a tow strap, but I wasn't entirely sure how to safely use one to tow another bike. Do you securely tie the strap to the towing bike and just loosely tie it to the towed bike so it can be released easily or just secure on both ends? What is the longest distance you've towed another bike? Any other towing hints like where is the best place to tie the strap?

The one time I've used my tow strap, we attached to the luggage rack on the towing bike (R1150RT) and the triple trees on the towed bike (DL-1000 V-Strom). I'll leave you to guess which of the two was mine ( :grin: ), but the tow was around 5 miles to the nearest gas. We were on pretty level ground.

Morning awagnon

It really depends on what I'm towing, what I'm towing with, & who I'm towing.

Usually a firm attachment to the front bike (mostly to the rear luggage rack or rear passenger foot peg). Then depending on the rear bike, sometimes to the exhaust pipe or riders foot peg (great on smaller bikes or dirt bikes). I towed a guy on a KTM 990 for about 10 miles with him just holding the tow strap in one hand & steering with the other. (kind if difficult to get moving but once moving actually worked good)

I try to use a single wrap of the tow strap around something on the towed bike (like exhaust pipe) then on to a single wrap around the towed bike's foot peg. That way if something goes wrong all the rider on the towed bike has to do is simply lift his foot & the strap pulls free. No harm in towing off-set so I have even towed my R/H foot peg to towed bikes L/H foot peg.

I have seen Harley dresser owners push another bike for miles using the powered bike's riders R/H foot on the pushed bike's L/H foot peg (not for a rider that is afraid to get close to another bike)

Can't say the farthest I have towed but well over 100 miles when in remote areas. In heavy traffic I try to make it just far enough to get the towed bike off the hi-way & to a safe place.

OldBMWMaster

I keep a very well equipped tool kit in the bottom. My air pump and tire repair sit on top of that. I keep my GEICO on a string side stand pad there too.

Jerry Johnston

I've always kept my Valentine detector in the side box. It keeps it dry and I don't have to remove it when going to a restaurant or over night. It seems to work as well as when I had it mounted on a handlebar.

• 8 years later...
22 minutes ago, Hanny said:

Does anyone know if the weather seal is available for the radio box lid? Thanks

Afternoon Hanny

What motorcycle?

If a BMW 1150rt see if  P/N--  46637653984 GASKET (about $20.00) is what you need.

gasket.JPG

Balibeemer

In mine:

Leatherman

Microfibre cloth

First aid kit

Torch (aka flashlight)

iPhone charging cable

Schuberth helmet lock

Biltong

Vehicle documents

US$ 150 in small bills (the cops here don’t take credit cards)

Balibeemer
Just now, Balibeemer said:

In mine:

Leatherman

Microfibre cloth

First aid kit

Torch (aka flashlight)

iPhone charging cable

Schuberth helmet lock

Biltong

Vehicle documents

US$ 150 in small bills (the cops here don’t take credit cards)

....and a hip flask with Bushmills🥃

Warren Dean

I have a 12 pound sand bag in the bottom of mine. No more pulling to the right.  And registration, tire gauge and manuals.  :)

On 5/16/2012 at 10:59 AM, MotorcycleWriter said:

I've got the '02 and there's no radio but I do have an antenna - currently highly superfluous. That's a very nice space down there that currently just holds a couple of rags. I'm not sure it makes sense to have a full-fledged radio anymore with iPods and the like (my Nano is an FM radio) though I wouldn't mind getting AM sometimes.

Seeing as it's a wonderful space with a watertight cover, what brilliant ideas have some of you gurus come up with?

Kickstand pad, sunblock, sunglasses etc.

• 1 year later...
On 5/27/2021 at 2:07 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Hanny

What motorcycle?

If a BMW 1150rt see if  P/N--  46637653984 GASKET (about $20.00) is what you need.

gasket.JPG

I have a R1100RT

38 minutes ago, Hanny said:

I have a 96' R1100RT

Afternoon Hanny

Then that could be a problem, for the 1996 1100RT you need gasket number 46632313242  (for the pre 11/1999) but my BMW parts book says that gasket is no longer available. (possibly you can find it on-line somewhere), or maybe try to make the later (post 11/99) gasket work (on this I have no idea if it is possible).

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Kilrush R1150RT
On 5/16/2012 at 10:50 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Caerleon

Hopefully in your country you don't need to carry something for added protection. There are parts of the U.S. here that you just can't comfortably go without personal protection. In fact a lot of us carry 2, one on the bike & one in a quicker access location.

Carrying something you might need in a hurry in the radio box that needs a door opened to access it is pretty useless in an emergency situation. If you have time to open the radio box & reach around in there then there was plenty of time to exit the situation before it escalates.

I would gladly trade you the option of " being able " to carry something for riding in a country that you didn't "need" to carry something.

We are lucky enough not to need to 'carry' a Glock in our glove compartments over here. The only threat is likely to be a rogue sheep or cow for which you would be in big trouble if you happened to shoot one. This leaves me loads of room for a flashlight, paperwork (insurance, recovery, tyre pressures, fuse positions etc), nitro spray, spare pills (laugh away!), USB connectors, USB cables, spare gloves (glove compartment after all) etc etc and more importantly, a piece of wood with string attached to put under my side stand so I can safely park on the beach or soft ground - used extensively last week - works a treat). 

The cooler idea reminded me of my Vetter Faring on my R90/6… During a ride to Canada in the summer of ‘74

I discovered that each front pocket, large capacity, had a drain plug. Just fill with ice and cans of a refreshing beverage, pop two snaps and set a can , locked in place by the well designed cover.
In the glove box of my ‘04 RT, key to the lockbox under my license plate, (registration and insurance), the key to the locking oil cap, a Swiss Army knife, an LED light, lighter, rags… I still have the original cassette and all da wiring, in a box in the garage. Instant storage close by, is extremely valuable. Gloves actually fit in.

I’ve ridden with friends and solo all over the west and never carried a weapon.

With age comes, crap! I forgot what I was gunna say…

1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

And weed.

What? Do you think this is a Harley forum :3: Just kidding. That goes wherever it will fit.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

What for me, I puzzled for a long time over the purpose of the 75 MHz antenna. What the strange frequency. I couldn't find any existing radio-service or any track of the old one.
Now I wanna find a raincoat I can store in that compartment. Scary to put there any docs, I think they will damaged by water.
Never before I not knew HOW rainy  may be in my region. And then I bought the tourist bike :)

About guns. I was a member of IPSC for 7 years and I was on 26th position in the chart of national championship. You need for about 20-30 secs for removing off your thick gloves, taking your gun from compartment (remember about key!), putting a cartridge in the chamber and take your aim. How many times your get bullet?

:)