IGNORED

Ilium Brake Pedal Extension for R12RT??

twilmotte

I think I'd be happier with feeling more of my size 11s on the brake pedal while using the rear brake to maneuver at slow speeds. So, I ordered and just received an Ilium Brake Pedal Extension for my R1200RT. The installation instructions require me to drill a 3/8" hole thru the brake lever. While drilling a hole through the lever wouldn't appear to affect the structural integrity of the weld between the brake pedal and the brake lever, I am still hesitant to drill any holes in the bike, especially one as large as 3/8 inch. Therefore, I'm asking two questions of the collective experts here: 1) Are any forum members happy or unhappy with the Ilium Brake Pedal Extension (and why)? 2) Are there any other quality brake pedal extenders out there that don't require drilling to install? It seems like some company could manufacture one with an expansion bolt to fit into the small diameter knurled aluminum cylinder that serves as the brake pedal. TIA

I don't use any extension of the rear pedal for svveral reasons (but I do have a slightly smaller size 10 foot)

First, the rear brake has a crappy feel no matter what you do. Fitting a better sintered pad (like the EBC HH) improves feel a little bit but it can't really be made to provide any useful feedback without changing to a larger diameter master cylinder. By fitting an extension you simply improve the chance of getting into it harder than you wish- but at least its got ABS to stop a rear lockup skid.

The larger extension may also increasae chances of accidental rar brake drag from a carelessly placed foot. This can put a lot of heat on the rear brake and possibly even into the FD- which already gets very warm in normal use. Excess heat might hasten a seal failure..

I don't like the small pedal much either but don't think anyone's extension is a real improvement..

I don't use any extension of the rear pedal for several reasons (but I do have a slightly smaller size 10 foot)

First, the rear brake has a crappy feel no matter what you do. Fitting a better sintered pad (like the EBC HH) improves feel a little bit but it can't really be made to provide any useful feedback without changing to a larger diameter master cylinder. By fitting an extension you simply improve the chance of getting into it harder than you wish- but at least its got ABS to stop a rear lockup skid.

The larger extension may also increasae chances of accidental rar brake drag from a carelessly placed foot. This can put a lot of heat on the rear brake and possibly even into the FD- which already gets very warm in normal use. Excess heat might hasten a seal failure..

I don't like the small pedal much either but don't think anyone's extension is a real improvement..

Afternoon Tom

Seeing as the brake pedal spool is welded around the outside, drilling a 3/8" hole in the lever in the center of the spool won't effect the pedal structure. Remember you are also bolting a piece on so that will add additional retention to both the original spool & new added extension.

Personally I don't like those pedal extensions, even with my big feet & winter boots I never miss the stock pedal. I don't have an extension on my hexheads but have a few friends that do & when I ride their bike I keep hitting that extended pedal by accident when moving my feet around.

My 1200RT stock pedal is like a huge appendage sticking out compared to my Ducati.

It looks like you just got your 09RT, you might try riding it a while longer before purchasing an extended pedal. I'll bet you will get used to the stock pedal after a while & won't even need the added pedal extension.

Personally... I added the Ilium and like it. As Racer7 somewhat said, (let me put it bluntly) the rear brake (IMHO) sucks on the RT. (I added sintered Carbone pads) and the little peg felt like it was gonna slide out from under my boot, at least with the extension I can get on it a bit harder. I think you'll like it. I rode my bike for a year before I got it , BTW. EZ Peazy to install and as DR kinda alluded to, it may actually make the joint stronger. (bolt pulls it to the shaft)

mwsR1200RT

I agree with the last two - it will not weaken the pedal.

I have one and like it. Really depends on what you like and what you're used to. From my track days, I still cover the rear brake to use it as a form of traction control.... If tire starts to slip/drift a bit under acceleration out of a corner, a little bit of rear brake is easier to dial in than reducing throttle, and upsets the chassis less.

On dirt bikes, I use the rear brake a lot on corner entry.

So I like the rear brake pedal to be just under my toe with about 1/8" clearance. I do not like to have to "lift and shift" my toe to get to it.

The RT wasn't perfect. Just a scosche too short, and sometimes my toe was right on the tip.

The Ilium is a bit longer than I needed, but haven't found a reason to cut it yet.

I have one and like it. Be sure to put a block of wood between the back of the brake pedal and the bodywork so you don't make a costly mistake with the drill.

I have one and like it. Be sure to put a block of wood between the back of the brake pedal and the bodywork so you don't make a costly mistake with the drill.

I just put my finger there so I could feel when it went through....:)

I just put my finger there so I could feel when it went through....:)

I hate when that happens :/

Archived