IGNORED

ABS non working, but i want it to

druggrepp

2001 RTP1100, cop bike, I bought it like that. 64k

I put ebc hh pads on and it stops better, but it is big heavy bike and the rear locks up when I hit it hard.

I have tried the reset it with the wires under the seat and fuses are all ok.

Short of buying a used abs from beemerboneyard, what are my options?

You could just remove the ABS unit completely. I did on my 2002 RT and it stops just as quickly and easily as it did with servo-iABS. However, wheel lockups with high-sides and low-sides are a concern for me. There is a place in Moscow, ID, that repairs the ABS units ( Module Master ), but they don't take all units. You would just have to check with them. You can often find ABS modules on eBay, but you take a chance they might be defective, also.

Galactic Greyhound

What are the dash ABS lights doing?

ABS2 - Normal ABS Warning Light Sequence

The two ABS warning lights on the dash can give a clue as to where the fault is. The normal sequence of these lights is as follows:

1. Ignition 'On' (engine not started) - both ABS lights should flash together [initial self-check OK].

2. Start engine (bike not moving) - both ABS lights should keep flashing together. [if they begin to flash alternately at this stage it is usually a battery problem].

3. Ride off - at about 4mph you should hear a loud 'ker-chink' noise and both ABS lights should go out [final self-check of modulators and wheel sensors completed OK and ABS active].

If the lights are flashing alternately at switch-on (bike not started), check the ABS Fault Code on the diagnostic socket as advised.

If you troubleshoot it down to the ABS pump being bad, I have mine sitting here from my '00 RT. I'll give you a better price than the boneyard.

That being said.....I've tried to sell this thing twice, and both times, the knowledge from the people on this board ended up getting the original ABS on the bikes working again. So don't lose hope. What is posted above is already a good start on trouble shooting.

Bruce (Bedford)

Sometimes ABS faults are down to a less than fully charged battery, try charging the battery - if so then it's a simple fix & you know that the batt is good.

Bruce

Don Beissel

Druggrepp-

I replaced my ABS unit when I bought my 2000 R1100RT in March. That fixed the problem for a while and then the fault returned. My battery was old and did not have sufficient charge for the self test. I am pretty sure that the old ABS actually works.

If you want to buy it and try it out I will sell it to you. If it does not work you can ship it back for a refund. I was hanging onto it to get time to rebuild it. But if it works for you, you can have it.

Don

• 2 months later...

I would like a price on your used ABS units guys.

It has to fit 2001 Rt1100 though. When running both lites on dash flash back and forth until I hit abs cancel switch.

The bike lives on battery tender on 6hrs daily.

Starts and runs great.

Galactic Greyhound

It has to fit 2001 Rt1100 though. When running both lites on dash flash back and forth until I hit abs cancel switch.

Starts and runs great.

If the ABS dash lights only flash alternately when the bike is running it may not be the ABS unit that is at fault so changing it won't make a difference - it may be a wheel sensor.

Check the ABS Fault Code as advised earlier in this thread - a faulty wheel sensor will be recorded by the unit.

Clive Liddell

On a 2001 R1100RT my ABS faulted giving a "7" code (ABS Control Unit). I decided to tape over the flashing lights and just ride.

A few months later I had the tupperware off for a battery change when I noticed the multi-connector on the left of the ABS unit looked odd. When I pushed on it I found it was quite loose.

After firmly reseating the connector I had a feeling (hopeful feeling) that it may cure my ABS. Well, it was the problem and I now have perfect functioning ABS.

It may be worth checking the multi-connector if you are getting a Code 7 fault!

Starts and runs great.

A simple 12 volt LED is all you need to read the codes from the ABS system.

But as others have stated, you can tell a lot by noting how & when the ABS lights on the dash are flashing at start-up. What are the lights doing in the following situations.

1) Key on, not running?

2) Engine running, not moving?

3) Riding at speed? (> 5mph)

Archived