IGNORED

Removing Rack From R1150RT...

Ridin' Raoul

Ridin' Raoul

I want to remove the saddlebag mounts and rear rack to paint them. Can I just remove the two screws that hold the rack to the rear tailpiece, or are there fasteners inside of the tailpiece that I have to be concerned with? If there are, I can't see any way to access them...

Thanks

Hi Rick, a little confused, the Pannier brackets are unpainted black plastic? So, are we talking about the same thing?

Andy

Ridin' Raoul

Thanks for the quick response, Andy.

Yeah...the brackets for the bags are black plastic and have MAJOR sun fade...they look more light gray now. I just figured I'd paint them black while I'm having the bags painted.

My question was really about the two screws that go into the tailpiece...I'm guessing it's ok just to back them out, but I don't know what's holding them inside...

Ridin' Raoul

Thanks for the responses, guys. I managed to get it off just fine...now if I can find that screw that I dropped...:)

Thanks for the tip about Forever Black...I had never heard of it before. I'll have to look into it...

I'd also try a product called Back to Black.

All these products are similar and are for dealing with automotive plastic components (so they'll be good on your panniers & top box too).

I would advise against painting these items. They take quite a pounding and I think you will find the paint will get damaged and look worse than the faded bracketry.

Andy

Archived