IGNORED

Southwestern Virginia

Exploreinman

Exploreinman

I'm planning a ride with some friends to explore the twisty roads in Southwestern Virginia. Any suggestions on lodging locations with restaurants within walking distances?

What are you looking for? Upscale lodging and eateries or does it make any difference?

SW Va is all good riding,but does cover a large area.

If I were to put together a ride it would include several locations.I'm more of a backroad guy that could care less about how fancy the food or lodging is as long as its not plain lousy,so keep that in mind when reading my suggestion... :grin:

I would suggest a couple of days in Floyd Va.Lots of roads to explore in this area.Floyd county has become a hub for a lot of artists and winery's.Weekends you will probably need reservations as they have a"Friday night Jamboree" just about all summer. Move on to a night or 2 at the Depot Lodge in Paint bank,across from the Swinging bridge restaurant(no cell service here,but I think they have internet)Nothing here but good riding.

Then move on to Monterey Va for a couple of more days.Monterey is a cool little one light town in a valley between two mountains,but there are several small restaurants and the Highland Inn plus another small motel.

Let me know where you decide to go and I can probably come up with some good route suggestions.

If your into larger hubs,anywhere along the I-81 corridor will be fine.

I stayed in Floyd last summer on my way to the UN. This (click here) place doesn't look like much, and it wasn't much, but it was very affordable and completely decent (and I tend toward being a room snob). It is however a bit of a walk into town, but not undoable.

That said, just behind it is a little strip mall that had a very decent Italian joint with a wide variety of fare, and prices (and I tend towards being a food snob too :eek: but am a realistic snob ;) ). Seriously, I recommend this place. Reminded me of little Mom & Pop cafes in Rome. Sorry, I don't remember it's name, but it's just kitty corner behind Oak Haven. You can't miss it.

Big-t is right about Paint Bank (as though there was any reason to doubt that). In fact, my wife and I are staying at the Depot Lodge over Memorial Day. The Swinging Bridge Restaurant across the street (behind the General Store) is a mandatory visit. Breakfast, lunch, dinner ... it just doesn't matter. You can't go wrong there. Again, a wide variety of food (mostly country fixins) and prices. Lots of bison served there.

Exploreinman

We're not looking for anything upscale. As a matter of fact we prefer staying at old motor courts where you can drive right up to your room. The main thing we want is something clean and walking distance to restaurants.

Must ride twities suggestions are also wanted.

Thanks,

FYI: Nothing listed above would be considered upscale - except perhaps the Depot Inn, which I would rate as a B&B rather than a motel (therefore more costly). Calling the Oak Haven Lodge upscale would be like calling Motel 6 upscale, except the Oak Haven rooms are bigger and homier (from what I saw). Very passable. It's definitely drive up and you check in at the house next door.

As for roads and routes, very little sucks in Western VA, though many turn to gravel. A couple obvious choices are:

- BRP, but most of the roads leading off of it are better (as far as twisties go).

- Hwy 16 - "Back of the Dragon" is Hwy 16 between Marion & Tazwell VA. Many think it's one of the best routes in the East (but YMMV).

Again, there are different types of roads to choise from ... some that are single lane twisties with no guard rail, no lines, no anything except questionable pavement and the possibility of the rare vehicle coming around a bend all of a sudden. Do you like that sort of thing, or more well-paved hwys with twisties in them?

As Big-t pointed out, it largely depends on your riding preference, where you plan to stay, and your daily range. To help you it would help if you could tell us more about your plans. It's a large area with a whole lot of possibilities.

Exploreinman

We've got 4 days to ride and 200 miles per day in the mountains is a good range for us. We are not into the single lane twisties with questionable pavement, but would like to know of the best two lane twisty highways with decent pavement.

Thanks for your help!

Exploreinman

Wytheville looks like a good location to base out of. Viewing a Virginia road map shows many good loops and routes you could explore.

Another vote for Floyd. Check out this place: http://hotelfloyd.com/

Plenty of interesting places to eat within walking distance and if you're there on a Friday/Saturday night there's music to catch.

I've stayed in Whytheville... trust me... Floyd is a far more interesting place.

Archived