IGNORED

EPA to remove vapor-capturing rubber boot from gas pump handles

AviP

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/10/politics/epa-gas-pump-handles/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Finally, we'll be able to fill gas in our bikes without that PITA.

Washington (CNN) -- Even though there's been little change in gas prices recently, drivers could soon see changes in the look of the pumps they use to fill up.

The Obama administration and the Environmental Protection Agency announced Thursday they intend to phase out the rubber boots on gas pump handles now used to capture harmful gasoline vapors while refueling cars.

The EPA says the vapor-capturing fuel pumps are redundant because more than 70% of all cars on the road today are equipped with on-board systems that capture the harmful vapors.

According to the EPA, 31,000 affected gas stations in mostly urban areas where smog is a problem will each save $3,000 apiece once the ruling is fully implemented.

"We will remain vigilant when it comes to eliminating regulations that are not necessary or that impose unnecessary burdens on America's families and businesses," President Barack Obama said in a statement.

Since 1994, gas stations that did not meet air quality standards have been required to use gas vapor recovery systems.

The most obvious gas vapor recovery system for drivers is the rubber boot at the end of the fuel pump nozzle that fits directly over the gas tank opening.

When drivers refuel, gas vapors can escape and contribute to smog and harmful air pollution. To combat the release of these vapors, most gas stations have installed special gas pump nozzles that include the rubber boot to block vapors from escaping.

The EPA says the rubber fittings will be phased out as part of the new rule.

The White House decision is the latest government-wide review of federal regulations. The White House said in a statement it hopes Thursday's move will save consumers and businesses almost $6 billion in the next five years.

"By streamlining some rules and eliminating others," said Cass Sunstein, administrator of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, "we can save billions of dollars in unnecessary costs while continuing to protect the health and safety of the American people."

But for drivers, the decision will mean less hassle trying to get the rubber boot to fit over their gas tank opening. Motorcyclists and some recreational vehicle drivers have long complained that the environment-friendly gas nozzles were incompatible with their vehicles.

Other areas highlighted in the White House's announcement include allowing states to replace traffic signs that were previously federally regulated, changing railroad regulations related to freight train travel, and changing certain regulatory reporting requirements for hospitals and doctors.

moshe_levy

This is nothing less than thrilling news. I just struggled with another one of these damn things today at the BP Station in Bergenfield.

-MKL

I haven't had any trouble with the things, but "saving billions" sounds pretty good.

I just wonder what my share of the "billions" comes out to... ;)

"We will remain vigilant when it comes to eliminating regulations that are not necessary or that impose unnecessary burdens on America's families and businesses," President Barack Obama said in a statement.

This is nothing less than thrilling news. I just struggled with another one of these damn things today at the BP Station in Bergenfield.

-MKL

Exactly. Many stations here in the metro area have this stupid boot and it is a bitch to fill the bike properly. Especially if the handle is under an angle, like on the LT.

I am looking forward to the boot-less pumps.

The press release is BS because there is NOTHING on ANY car that substitutes for this form of vapor recovery.

In any event, it's a nice move for those afflicted with this problem (not in my state).

Don't have them here locally so I guess I didn't miss anything!

Ditto, none at any of the stations that I utilize.

Good news, I hate the damn things when filling the bike. What're the odds stations that are already equipped with them will rip them off? =)

Archived