IGNORED

1200RT Radio

OU71

I'm considering moving up for all the improvements the 1200RT has, but I also really want a good radio this time. And all I've heard on this site is how crappy the BMW 1200RT radio is. I like to listen to local sports & news as much as music, so I need a car type radio that has good AM/FM reception. Has anyone had good luck with the BMW radio, or has anyone put in an aftermarket one that worked well.

Thanks.

I've got the BMW radio in myh 1150RT and am very satisfied with it. I use it for local news on the way to work and back. Works great. I also use the tape adapter on an XM radio that allows me to use all the handlebar controls for volume and changing between radio and XM. Only problem I've had is range and this is normally when I'm on the interstates but I pretty much only use XM on those trips anyway so not a problem. I'd do it again even though they are over-priced.

My experience with the RT radio is not good. I got it thinking it would be just like the LT radio, which I found excellent. My AM is virtually unlistenable - FM is a bit better. Wish I had saved the $1500.

I installed a Pioneer AM-FM-XM-CD unit with 100 watt speakers. Works like a charm. thumbsup.gif Sounds better than the $1500.00 BMW unit. eek.gif Fits in the clove box the same as the BMW unit. Total cost including the XM modules $340.00 clap.gif

What was the model number of the aftermarket speakers and did they fit well in the speaker housing on the r1200rt? Did you have to modify anything? I want to do the same thing as my bike did not come with a stereo or prep kit. Thanks in advance.

I have done some research on radios but need to know which speakers will fit. Alot of stereos made for marine applications come with wired remotes. I plan to stick the unit in the glove box and run the remote over to the left side where the bmw stereo controls go. Do a google search for marine radio/stereo and you will see what I mean. harry

Archived