IGNORED

Adusting the (RT) brake pedal height

oops

Hello Friends,

My new (99) RT brake pedal is too low for me. I see there is a bolt down below that seems to actuate the brake lights and keeps the pedal from coming up. Can I adjust the brake pedal height by simply turning this bolt? It's currently all the way out. Also, it seems as though my trip home in the rain caused some grit to embed itself into the front brake pads as I hear what sounds like grit rubbing on the disks when I apply the front brakes. Any easy way to get the grit out before it ruins my disks?

Thanks,

Oops

Afternoon Oops

Adjusting the rear brake pedal isn't as easy as simply adjusting the stop bolt. The pushrod length also needs to be adjusted (correctly) so the master cylinder piston uncovers the take-up port with the brake pedal released. If the push rod isn't adjusted correctly & just the stop bolt is adjusted there is a good chance the rear brake will not totally release.

On your front pads-- you have a few options. One is to just ride it as is while monitoring the rotors. If no signs of rotor scoring shows up then keep riding.

Next is to pry the brake pads back & try using compressed air & brake clean to blow the junk out (might work & might not if something embedded in the pads)

The best way is probably to just remove the pads & lightly sand them.

Okay I can see the push rod and it is threaded on the end and has a little clip to keep it from turning. The push rod seems to have far fewer threads than the stop bolt. Can I just make a mark on the rod and adjust both the stop bolt and the rod so the rod remains at rest where it currently is?

I had the same problem with the rear brake pedal. In addition to adjusting the threaded pushrod between the brake pedal and cylinder, I slipped a piece of plastic over the pedal itself. Actually, I used two black vinyl chair leg caps (the kind you find at any hardware store), because 1) I had them on hand, and 2) they were the right ID. I cut the end off one, and slid it to the base of the pedal, then stuck the other (closed) cap over the end. This makes the pedal about 1/8" larger in diameter, which seems to be just right (for me). A piece of thick-wall rubber tubing/hose of the appropriate ID would probably work as well or better, but I'm a scrounger at heart.

Morning Oops

What you need to do is disconnect the master cylinder rod clevis at the pedal attachment.

Then adjust the pedal stop screw to where you need it.

Then insert an .008" feeler gauge (or anything close to .008") between the pedal & stop screw.

Then adjust the master cylinder rod so the clevis pin just slips into the pedal hole easily without binding or tension.

cris nitro
Morning Oops

What you need to do is disconnect the master cylinder rod clevis at the pedal attachment.

Then adjust the pedal stop screw to where you need it.

Then insert an .008" feeler gauge (or anything close to .008") between the pedal & stop screw.

Then adjust the master cylinder rod so the clevis pin just slips into the pedal hole easily without binding or tension.

Great info. Thanks for that! You da man.

Archived