IGNORED

Are Custom Ear Plugs Worth It?

Firenailer

Peter Parts

Like I said, "Yes, I think it likely is a good product and grateful you posted it."

What's in it?

Ben

Peter Parts

Many favorable reviews of Oto-Ease on Amazon. But also found this one:

Nov 30, 2010 9:43:31 AM PST

CSGLinux says:

Westone is lying. I contacted them before ordering my Oto-Ease and they gave me the same assurances: "Please be assured the Oto-Ease that Westone stocks is mercury free." When my bottle arrived, sure enough it lists phenylmercuric nitrate as an ingredient. No wonder old folks get Alzheimers.

Boy,am I confused.

(Mercury rots the brain, but it isn't the same as Alzheimers)

Ben

Glenn Reed
A big part of the problem with foam ear plugs is folks don't insert them correctly, IMHO. I always get a bunch of funny looks when I'm reaching over my head to pull my opposing ear back.

I had heard to do this with custom ear plugs, but this was the first I heard about doing it with the standard foam plugs. I tried it twice this weekend and it made a HUGE difference. No trouble inserting, when I sometimes have to start over, much better insertion, which then meant lower noise levels and no interference when putting on the helmet.

Thanks a bunch for the tip!

Firenailer

I'll second that! I picked up some hearos at my dealer and used this proper method over the weekend and I have to say it really makes a difference.

Thanks for the tip, I guess it pays to read the directions!

Antimatter

When I bought my assortment of plugs, they included a link to the following video for how to properly insert earplugs:

It's a bit lengthy, but it explains both 'how' and 'why' the earplug should be rolled, and why the ear should be pulled back. The other nice thing about this approach is you can tell when a set of disposable plugs is used up. With the ones I use, when the compression process won't yield a plug that slowly expands (the plug won't compress or will immediately re-expand), I know its time to get a new set.

• 1 month later...
ChipperJones

I dont use earplugs per-say only because if im not allowed to hear anything, i may as well jam! I used these new balance earbuds for years because they were comfy in my ear and the hook kept them on. Recently my boss decided we needed some in Ultimate ear molded in ear monitorsfor working purposes and at 700 bucks a pop i will never ever look back! They seal out everything...which is kind of creepy at first, but imho are a rather non affordable option to ear plugs!

Peter Parts

Tangent, gruesome, but no hijack: anybody know about getting harmed by some shape of earphone/earplug in a collision?

Ben

AdventurePoser
My Audiologist recommended having custom plugs fitted and made to protect my hearing, and hopefully alleviate some of the tinnitus I experience.

Has anyone gone this route, and are they really a big improvement over the foam plugs?

Thanks,

Yes. Get the ones with air tubes so you can also listen to music thru your ipod etc.

Contact Arizona Al-he will set you up.

Archived