IGNORED

Spark plug change question

steven e.

I have a new to me 06 R1200rt and am getting ready to change the spark plugs. Do I have to fully remove the tupperware to access the lower plugs or can I get away with loosening the panels and pulling them out a bit? Thanks in advance.

Morning Steven

You "can" remove the lower tupperware bolts then pull the panels out just far enough to get to the lower plugs.

That does put quite a load on the lower panels & the spark plug shields are a pain to remove & replace.

It takes about as long to do the lower plugs that way as to remove the few screws for the panels & do it the right way.

Just a word of caution. Disconnect the connectors on each coil (especially the bottom coils) to avoid breaking it when you pull the coil off of the spark plug. It's happened so many times that they sell a repair kit for it.

If you've got access to the BMW MOA site go there and read the plastic removal threaed in the Hexhead tech section.

Step by step with photos- very easy to follow.

Removing the tupperware on an RT is fundamental to doing many services so should be learned if you intend to maintain your own bike or add electrical accessories that need front to rear wiring runs. It only takes about 10-15 minutes to get it off and similar to replace once you "get" it. BMW plastic fits extremely well (unlike panels on a Goldwing, for example) and no "force fits" are needed to get them on- if you ever think that is needed you've got something positioned incorrectly.

An electric screwdriver that handles T-25 ad T-30 bits speed it up a bunch. (You may see typos calling the two larger screws on each side lower T-27 in a few places but that is wrong- they are T-30).

Another word of caution: be prepared to go looking for another spark plug socket. It needs to be a thin one.

Another word of caution: be prepared to go looking for another spark plug socket. It needs to be a thin one.
Yes, I noticed that and, of course, will have to go find one. Thanks for all your replies.

Archived